SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Well thanx to racebaan's "Tiny rally movie",
i decided it looked so much fun, that i just had to have one too.
So i set about planning it, and tried to shave a few cm's from both the length and width. This is what i got:

So i built the surround box, so it can be portable, and the last pieces of track arrived today so i could set it up.
Now i knew the gap in my track plan was bigger than a quarter piece and smaller than a half piece, but i figured i could make one of them fit....(wrong)

It wasn't gonna have it, without deforming the track elsewhere, so i figured i would just make my own special piece.

So, craft knife in hand i set about butchering an old quarter piece.

Out came the dremel for the rails. And a bit more carving on another quarter piece, until they would slide together.

Next i flipped it over, and using a soldering iron, joined the two pieces together, by melting some of the scrap bits of plastic to the base.

I now had my very own (special
) 1/3rd ish straight piece, which joined the track together sweetly!!

Next i need to sort the elevations out, but that will have to wait for another day.

Now i did try to solder the joins in the rails, but i found that the solder did not want to stick.
Why is that
I am sure i have read of folks soldering their joints together, to improve the electrical continuity??

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Talk about acting on inspiration!

The idea might not be original, but full marks for effort.

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Nice job! You certainly picked a great little track for inspiration - I've watched that movies dozens of times! Actually got me thinking that it might be a nice project for routed track, one of these days...

cheers,

Rob

·
Ian
99 Posts
Rob,
that little video has a lot to answer for! because we built one too! not like yours in the box but just used some old track from the original track plan and put another little track in the loft for thrashing our analog rally cars round we haven't gone for the snow effect yet but is great fun and totally different to the main track which is much bigger. Well done on your effort you'll have to keep the photos coming I cant wait to see your end results.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Nice.Rally in a box.I like it.
Can't wait to see it finished.

To solder on to the rails they need to be really clean where you want to apply the solder.Try using some scotchbrite to clean them up.
After that make sure you have tinned the end of the iron before applying,if not the heat will not transfer.Also use flux.I generaly use multicore solder which has the flux already in it.
The main problem I found was getting enough heat into the rail before the track melts.
I tried soldering the joining pins into the ends of sport track to stop them coming loose,I gave up after the third piece.
I think the best way to get electrical continuity on what you are doing,which is permanent,would be to assemble the track,flip it over and solder little jumper wires to each piece of track.Still tricky though,but easier soldering small wire to the track than trying to solder another piece of track to it.Does not require so much heat,as there is not so much rail for the heat to escape.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guys. Thanx for the kind words.

Rob, i keep checking your site for updates
lots of great ideas on there. You should get that router fired up too!!

Bleep, They have stopped doing the snow (flour) scenes now, in favour of the mud/gravel (drinking chocolate) scenes!! Avoid Nesquik though, apparently not up to much!!

Nomag, Cheers for the advise.
I wasn't sure if there was some special kind of solder for the rails? So a good clean up and a bit of flux.

I am trying to design one more level into the track, as there seems to be enough height in the box to take it.
But i don't want to spoil the line of sight to much, other than the back descent.

·
Registered
325 Posts
@zipp: GREAT!!!! Nice job you are doing! It´s looks it will be better then it´s original! Please keep on posting pics we love to follow this project!

Yes we are also into cacao because it has great gravel looks!
But the cacao we are using on our bigger rally track. In a few weeks we will post some pics and movies of this bigger track!
We still use flower (snow) on the tiny mobile track!

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
I want one
I dare you to try and sell it on ebay near Xmas....you never know, a new business for you?????????????

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so i have had a plan!

The section on top of the pic, joins the half straight with yellow cheveron, (elevated to 40cm) down to the R2 at the top right (at ground level).
I had to show the pic in 2 sections otherwise it looked a mess and you lost some of the bits under the others!!?

So from the front, you have 4 different levels. Start straight is at ground level, the chicane curve about 10cm higher, 90deg curve 10cm above chicane, and then my new idea, with a hairpin another 10cm above that

The only problem i can see, is that the decent from the "new hairpin" down to the hairpin that will be directly beneath the squeeze hairpin may be quite steep. I think it may be a struggle to manipulate the track down through the gap available, without encroaching on the headroom of the road beneath?
(WOW, i hope you understand what i mean)?? I nearly confused myself there

Anyway, i need to scrounge some more track pieces now, and i have a week of night shift to endure. Deep joy!

racebaan, if i can sort the elevations out, and get the track complete, i can't wait to start sprinkling a bit of flour around!
( not looking forward to cleaning up after mind).

nitro, Hmmm? starting bid 0.99p Postage £175 no collections!!

John, Sorry, i'm right out of washers mate.
I have enough chores to do courtesy of Mrs Zipp
thanx

·
Registered
325 Posts
@zipp: direct when I read your question about elevations I send the race friend who is hiding (for the kids) this tiny rally track. When I got an answer I directly will post it for you. This thursday I´m at his place but when I look at your project speed. I don´t think you can wait!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
QUOTE (zipp @ 8 Oct 2005, 14:27) ( not looking forward to cleaning up after mind). :

Why clean up?? Just let the flour rest until next time! When I had my own rallytrack I never removed any cocoa or flour until I had to move houses!

Cheers,
Damduin

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As it was dry when i awoke this afternoon, i thought a little more progress was in order.

the elevations are taking shape, but there is still some more work to do at the highest point hairpin. I have managed to thread the track through itself, but i am now finding it difficult keeping the track join angles acceptable

It was getting dark by 1830hrs
So the pix are not great.

Still plenty more to do.

QUOTE Why clean up?? Just let the flour rest until next time! When I had my own rallytrack I never removed any cocoa or flour until I had to move houses!
damduin, i meant cleaning the cars.
I do not want to get goo & muck all over my loft track, so the cars would have to be thoroughly serviced before venturing back upstairs!! Perhaps i will have to have dedicated rally cars.

For those of you with a keen eye, you will have noticed that the track plan has altered yet again, with the addition of a couple of wiggles on the higher levels. For those of you that missed this, pic 1 is the giveaway.

There may be a need to alter the design further, if i am unable to get the track joints satisfactory.

·
Registered
325 Posts
QUOTE (zipp @ 10 Oct 2005, 19:48)Perhaps i will have to have dedicated rally cars

YES! that is what we do! Cleaning a car after a cacoa or flour race cost you at least 15 minutes a car! So keep the rally cars where they belong....... on the rally track!

A question that was still open> the maximum height on the original tiny rally track is about 45 cm

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, i've had 5 hours to spare today. And a little progress on "Box Mountain"
was in order.
I now have all the supports in place, and all but 1 piece of track (which should be arriving soon), to bridge the gap.

I have also wired in a power tap and a couple of switches, to allow racing in both directions.

I have been able to test most of the track, and there is a couple of joins that need attention, different one's in different directions. Should be easy enough to sort out.

So, i'm just waiting for the one track piece to arrive, and then start thinking about fastening the track down, as it will be stored on it's edge.
Then get some scenic done and decide which flavour of dust to race on!

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
oh my god...could you get any more track in there? (Chandler from friends voice)..looks wicked...are you running magnets and extra strong safety fences with those gradients

Reactions: Robert Tavington

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
5hrs eh...1 to build..2 to place the cars ever so photogenically & 2 for photos and longing gazes at what will be.... and if I move that section WILL IT JOIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nitro,

most of the time was spent wiring the switches
fiddly little buggers.
The track will join. it will. IT WILL!
It had better do. If it doesn't, i will have to make another specialized piece

Hopefully, the scenery i am planning will double up as barriers. This part of the build may take some time, as i have never done any 3D modelling before. I'm looking forward to it though. Maybe get the kids involved too!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Fantastic zipp.
That incline to the top level looks awesome.Should make the cars struggle on that one.Gonna take some control coming down too.
Great design.Cant wait for more.

Cheers.

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
Hi Zipp...what hand controller are you using?.....looks ninco?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts