SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a box of Scalextric 1:32 track pieces that's been following me around for 15 years or so. I've sussed out that I have a blend of old track with the round attachments and the newer track with the tabs (sport I think it's called). I'm an HO racer but I got this stuff from an RC guy and am just now having a look at it all. The attached pic is of some border pieces I have -- can anyone tell me more about the black borders? Are they older like the track with the round tabs? I ask because I can't find any info on them online but I do see the tan borders on offer from various sellers, so I guess they must be the current items.

They are both branded "Hornby" on the bottom with identical part numbers, but the designs are different. I'd like to find some more of the black borders for R3 turns and straightaway pieces but don't know exactly what to search for results because I've come up with nothing so far.

Thanks. :)

Attachments

·
Greg Gaub
16,398 Posts
Same as the tan ones other than color, and the kerb is flat rather than bumped. These were made primarily for the USA market for non-mag slot car clubs that wanted a smooth transition. They're actually newer... except not being manufactured any more, so everything on the market now is the tan ones.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Greg's answer regarding the black borders is consistent with my experience, except that I also have some black borders that have a bumped kerb like the red/white kerbs that come with the tan borders. Since you have both classic and Sport track, you may also find some tan borders that came with the old classic track system. The sand or tan color is slightly darker or yellower. The only other difference I've noticed is the length of the guard rail on the straight lead-in / lead-out borders. The guard rail is shorter on the classic borders; on the Sport borders, the lead-in / lead-out guard rail is interchangeable with the guard rail on the 45% R2 borders. Has anyone noted any other differences?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looking at your photo, I need to correct the comment above - it looks like your tan border is from the classic track era, and (counter to my comment above) the guard rail should be slightly longer (not shorter) than the guard rail for the black border.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts