SlotForum banner

301 - 317 of 317 Posts

·
John Roche
4,156 Posts
Posted today on a Motorcycle Touribg Facebook page, I assume it's true:

In order to boost tourism activity in France, PCR tests will be free for foreign travelers this summer
To better control the circulation of the virus during the summer season, the government has decided to make PCR tests free for foreign travelers arriving in France. The Secretary of State for European Affairs, Clément Beaune, made this announcement on Sunday on Europe 1. "The European Parliament is asking that tests become free everywhere in Europe. We can only support it, "he said.This decision would thus make it possible to lift an economic brake for people who wish to travel and to promote the full resumption of tourist activity. The cost of a PCR test is estimated between 54 and 63 euros, even if they are fully reimbursed. "France is one of the only European countries not to charge for the PCR test", recalled Clément Beaune. You have to pay 120 euros for a test in Spain, 116 euros in the United Kingdom or nearly 300 euros in Sweden.

On the other hand, not sure that these tests will be free for French people who wish to travel abroad. "I cannot say today if everyone [Editor's note: European countries] will accept," said Clément Beaune. A reduced and harmonized tariff between countries is under consideration.

Cheers,

John

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
Thanks John, that's good news. As far as I know, all tests are free here, but not sure about you furriners coming to La Belle France.

For what it's worth, Ibis Meriadeck hotel is offering a special rate to the SRCB, so if you didn't get my email, send me a PM.

Take a deep breath....

Don

·
Slot King
2,606 Posts
French test have been free for quite a while, you just need an EHIC/GHIC card (which you should have if you travel in the EU).

Bordeaux airport is offering free PCR tests to people traveling.

But you still need to pay for a test in the UK before traveling out and pay for a further 2 after you have returned, absolute minimum cost around £250. And then of course 10 days quarantine on your return.

It seems to me the UK gov is trying to deter people from holidaying abroad, so that they spend cash in the UK instead.

Joel

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
It seems to me the UK gov is trying to deter people from holidaying abroad, so that they spend cash in the UK instead.

Joel
Reduced travel across borders reduces virus spread and particularly new variants.

Looking forward to that 4th wave . . . .

Andy

·
Slot King
2,606 Posts
So why did they wait until Jan this year to introduce mandatory PCR testing before attempting to cross into the UK, it would have been far more effective to impose testing last September.

Until a few weeks ago India (unlike Pakistan and Bangladesh) was not in the red list in spite of the known existence of a new variant because the PM was planning a visit there, once that was cancelled, India went on the red list.

The process I have described applies to people flying back from NZ where the virus is virtually eliminated.

Meanwhile at Heathrow passengers from Green list countries are happily mixing with those from Red list countries whilst queuing for passport control. Daily thousands of truck drivers are crossing the channel without such drastic requirements.

It looks remarkably like a shambles to me.

I am all for being cautious, but 3 tests on someone who is coming back from AUS or NZ?

Keep us in lockdown, I don't have a problem with that, but let's not pretend that people can now travel and then tie them up in questionable red tape.

Joel

·
Registered
405 Posts
That is exactly my problem Joel. The US hasn't relaxed the need for a negative test yet. While I can enter France with vax proof and a negative test in previous 72 hours (easy to pay for and receive here), arriving in Bordeaux, finding a place to get a test, playing for the weekend, then "hoping" that negative results arrive back (at hotel?) before attempting to return home just isn't worth the hassle. I hate the situation, but I'll be looking forward to next year.

·
Slot King
2,606 Posts
Getting a test in Bordeaux is easy, they are free at the airport, you would need to get there Saturday to make sure you get the results at the right time. For me I need an additional 2 tests when I get back to the UK.
I fear the date picked is just too close to the various countries relaxing their rules (or not), for example the UK will return to normal (whatever that is) on the 21st, early July would have given us more time to organise properly.

The annoying thing for me is that I will be in France the week after the meeting, just not enough certainty about travel to move the date forward.

Brad why don't you pencil in the Champagne Mouton meeting? By then we should all know where we stand.

Joel

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Brad it would be great to see you at the Confolens Classic on the 'Green Monster of Champagne Mouton', last weekend in September. Flights to Limoges or Poitiers, rooms at a club member's gites. There is a separate thread under 'Events' for it.

Richard (Confolens SRC)

·
Gordon Steadman
6,880 Posts
Just booked myself in for THREE hotel nights!! Must be getting old, can't stand the thought of a drive from Normandy to Bordeaux in one go. Here to Niort, stay Friday night - drive to Bordo Saturday morning - stay at the Ibis Saturday night - back to Niort Sunday night, drive home Monday morning!

Still cheaper with diesel than taking the train! Just blown the cobwebs off the cars, hopefully they will still work but I have a few choices so something should run.

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
Good news Gordon, see you there on Saturday morning... My cars are just about ready... a drawer full of 1/24 and another full of 1/32, including your very handsome Cummins Diesel!

·
Gordon Steadman
6,880 Posts
Good news Gordon, see you there on Saturday morning... My cars are just about ready... a drawer full of 1/24 and another full of 1/32, including your very handsome Cummins Diesel!

View attachment 275698 View attachment 275699
A fair selection!! More than I have but the Cummins' big bruvver will be with me of course. If Anthony brings his 32nd Ferrari Spazzneve, we can have a proper display of matching cars in each scale. I still have both Tyrrells.

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 ·
I'm bringing a few veterans from previous Bordo F1 and Indy races... The two Cummins side by side should make for a good photo op!
Don

·
Gordon Steadman
6,880 Posts
I'm trying to travel a little lighter this year in spite of driving. Just the cars for the races and the tools etc.

301 - 317 of 317 Posts