SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The continuing Covid restrictions in the UK and France ensured the depressing prospect of a second year without the excellent Rockingham and Bordo Vintage slot car meetings. So a small group of UK based disappointed refugees decided to gather under the present Covid group rules to conduct our own vintage race meeting to run the cars prepared for Rockingham and Bordo in 2020. The venue was Trelawney Raceway II located in the far reaches of the South West in Falmouth, Cornwall which probably presented the same logistical travel challenge as attending a Bordo meeting!

_DSC5063.jpg

_DSC5067.jpg

_DSC5072.jpg

The plan was to have an informal and relaxed weekend of vintage racing perhaps without the highly competitive nature of Rockingham and Bordo. But of course once the cars hit the track the competitive urges took control and the racing was hard, but with a good deal of levity which was just what we needed having been deprived of racing for so long!

The classes raced were as follows:

Saturday

1/32

Open wheel 1930-1960

Open wheel 1960-1972

1/24

Open wheel 1930-1960

Open wheel 1960-1972

Sunday

1/32

1950-1962 sports cars

1962-1972 sports cars

1/24

Sports cars 1950-1972

1/32

Open frame motor and steering class

1930-1960

1960-1972

A concours competition was held for a single open wheel car that would have run at the Bordo meeting in 1/32 or 1/24. It was no surprise that we voted for Phil Smith's beautifully detailed Bob Clidinst sprint car which ran pretty well on track too.

IMG_20210523_085730.jpg

The track build was completed in December 2020, so this was the first race meeting run here. There were a number of hardware and software gremlins which emerged to frustrate us, but they were resolved one way or another and we completed the full race programme. It is only when you test the track in anger that these issues will emerge. The spirit of the meeting was convivial with plenty of banter and I think we all felt it had been a success. It was great to be racing vintage cars once again!

Here are some pictures of the cars that I captured between periods of fretting and fettling the various track issues. There were many more fantastic cars, but unfortunately I did not capture them all on camera due to the distractions of track management!

IMG_20210515_165513.jpg

IMG_20210522_155657.jpg

IMG_20210522_155722.jpg

IMG_20210522_155813.jpg

IMG_20210522_155901.jpg

IMG_20210522_165649.jpg

IMG_20210523_085235.jpg

IMG_20210523_085343.jpg

IMG_20210523_085437.jpg

IMG_20210523_085513.jpg

IMG_20210523_085815.jpg

IMG_20210523_085930.jpg

Hopefully this will be the first of regular vintage meetings at Trelwaney and in the meantime we might even make Bordo now the dates are changed and there is the possibility of travel restrictions being changed for the better.

Mark

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Great initiative Mark. Beautiful track too, and I'm impressed you were able to complete all those classes.

Some of those faces look awfully familiar...

Who won what? Chassis pix? I assume there's no magnetraction on your track, so maybe something besides Atlas in 1/32... altho they run well on wood tracks too.

Don

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Gents,

Don...I just did not have time to take pictures of all the cars and the chassis as planned as I was kept busy fighting fires with various track and then software issues. All very character building I am sure, but we managed to race every class in the end. The braid is non magnetic...most of the 1/32 cars were open frame motors as were many of the 1/24 Big Birds. More can motors of course in the sports car classes.

To keep things very simple there was just one overall classification for all the classes combined, based on laps completed and finishing position in the heats. One point for a win and so on....so lowest score would win overall. I am embarrassed to say that I came first, but of course I had the massive home track advantage and was able to set up all my cars to suit as a result. However, the racing was very close and very enjoyable, so I think it was a win for us all after such a long break. I am very grateful for the usual Bordo characters making the long trek to Cornwall, but I think they thought it was worth it.

First place: Mark

Joint second place Joel and Eddie (equal on points, but Joel had one more lap!)

Third place: Martin

Fourth place: Rob

Fifth place: Peter

Sixth place: Phil

·
Eddie Grice
2,295 Posts
Been back home about an hour now, rained all way but no traffic problems unlike Friday. I think I can say we all enjoyed it very much Mark and are very appreciative of all the work you put in both on the track and sorting Sundays luncheon!
It was great to meet up again with friends not seen since Bordo Dec.19 and not the least enjoy a few (?) evening pints in a pub again.
Looking forward to the next one!
Eddie

·
Kitbasher
4,247 Posts
Been back home about an hour now, rained all way but no traffic problems unlike Friday. I think I can say we all enjoyed it very much Mark and are very appreciative of all the work you put in both on the track and sorting Sundays luncheon!
It was great to meet up again with friends not seen since Bordo Dec.19 and not the least enjoy a few (?) evening pints in a pub again.
Looking forward to the next one!
Eddie
Amen to everything Eddie has said.

Excellent weekend looking forward to the next one Mark, thanks again for organising/hosting....

Oh, and yes, it rained on and off for the whole of the return 5 hour journey.

innocent.gif
unsure.png
grump.gif
mad.gif
unsure.png
innocent.gif
biggrin.png
biggrin.png
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Looks as if it was a splendid event, run on a splendid track with some equally splendid cars!
thumbsup.gif

·
Phil Smith
2,622 Posts
Thanks Mark,

really enjoyed it, great track to drive.

Good to be out and about again, first hotel stay in 15 months and luckily we found a good one
smile.png

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the kind comments gents and for making the event such a success. There will certainly be more if you are willing to make the journey!

Keith you are welcome anytime!

Mark

·
Phil Smith
2,622 Posts
The drive wasn't too bad, I think it's just memories of eight and nine hour plus trips from my childhood that put's you off a bit, nowadays it's painless apart from a couple of pinch points.

·
Gordon Steadman
6,880 Posts
When we are oop north, It will probably be as easy to get to you via the channel as it will be to get to Bordo!

Hopefully, I will be able to do both next year. That assumes you will have enough capacity of course.

·
Kitbasher
4,247 Posts
Mark, you are going to have to get a bigger garage!

Reactions: ArJayAytch

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We will have to have the next heat queuing in the garden...but Gordon will have to watch his head on the low hanging ladders!

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
When we are oop north, It will probably be as easy to get to you via the channel as it will be to get to Bordo!
I would seriously consider the Roscoff-Plymouth ferry. It will save all of the Kent/M25/M5 and A30 traffic jams which are endemic on Fridays and Saturdays throughout the summer. The roads on the French side are much better.

·
Gordon Steadman
6,880 Posts
I would seriously consider the Roscoff-Plymouth ferry. It will save all of the Kent/M25/M5 and A30 traffic jams which are endemic on Fridays and Saturdays throughout the summer. The roads on the French side are much better.
We have always done Caen/Portsmouth. Not sure what the difference would be but there is no way I would drive all the way to Calais or do the tunnel. Caen is only just over an hour from the new house.

It was always a great start to the holidays before we moved here. Overnight ferry and a leisurely breakfast before driving down here by the afternoon.

PS.In fact, just checked and Roscoff is a long trip. However there is a St. Malo/Plymouth ferry. That and Caen are about the same distance. Probably do foot passenger and train. Hopefully within reach of Mark's.

PPS. There WAS a St.Malo/Plymouth ferry - doesn't seem to be one now :-(

1 - 20 of 38 Posts