SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im sure some of you have seen the video HERE from http://www.slotcarillustrated.com, if you havent, take a look. i, and a couple of mates, are confused as to how this track works both ways? are the cars modded? is there some trickery? or am i just being dumb. we cant undeerstand cos i thort slot car tracks only went one way, cos the other way round the car trys to go backward? just wondering, cos if no1 tells me how it works it will bug me until eternity! lol

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Hey Skeeter,

Here's an article on using two Scaley powerbases in your layout to race in either direction.

Here's another article, primarily on dynamic braking, but it also discusses track wiring.

Bottomline is if you swap the polarity of DC power at the rails your car will run in the opposite direction. Carerra cars do this internally with a switch that just swaps the positive and negative leads going to the motor.

Merry Christmas,
Paul
Circuit TrustChrist

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
yes - but in that track the car appears to go up the hill on 1 set of rails, loop round, and seemlessly return on the same rails! Does the car flip a polarity switch with it's guide?

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
My guess is it is just like a railroad return loop. Optical, mechanical, or electrical sensors detect the car while in the loop section and reverse the polarity on the remainder of the track. Easily done with a relay and any type of detector normally used for lap counting. Thus, when the car exits the loop, the rest of the circuit is already polarized correctly. The circuit can be manually (or automatically) reset before the next run. If the loop is always taken in the same direction, it never changes, as it is an isolated portion of the track.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
If I remember correctly there's a polarity switch in the controller for this.
Ie while going around the turnaround you push the switch over to get it right for the way back down.

BTW - Hi Fergy, long time, no see.

/Erik

1 - 7 of 7 Posts