SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
redstar
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,this idea came from talking to Don the other day. I will show slot car set box art from different counties.1st I will show some sets from Japan,later Hong Kong,& so on. For Japan we have box art from Tomy,Tokyo Plamo,Bandai,Bullmark,Kongure,Marusan,Yonezawa,Sanwa,Modern Toys,Nichimo,Sakai,Otaki,Codoeka,Cheryco,&Imai.The art goes from beautiful to uninspired to bad.Hope you enjoy,Bernard

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
As always Bernard, thank you for sharing your wonderful collection.

Is this type of work a lost art? If a contemporary 10 year old boy in a toy store saw a box with this type of artwork on the cover, would his thoughts be, that is so lame!? Or would he be intrigued by the contrast with all the other box covers that simply feature photographs of the product, and investigate further?

If a company does decide to depict a product on the cover of the package, is it even legal to use anything other than a photograph of the actual product? I suppose at the very least, a large disclaimer would be required, informing the purchaser that the painted image does not portray the actual product contained within.

·
Administrator
9,909 Posts
Good points Thai! And very apt, considering that the cars on boxes were rarely inside... maybe more in Japan and Hong Kong, but I think that happened in the US as well...

Then of course there are the cars that don't exist, like the Tokyo Plamo D-Jags, in both versions! (they don't exist, do they Bernard? have learned to never say never..).

Anyway, carry on Bernard, great stuff!

Don

PS/ still trying to figure out Hi Speed - Hi Sens...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Bernard,
could you tell us which of these circuits are 1:32 scale slot already?

These things are incredible.

Don :
Tokyo Plamo cars of that set are versions of Cooper and Lotus-Ford 30 GT somewhat different from motorkit versions.
No Jaguars D of Tokyo Plamo, just on the set circuito picture.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Thank you very much Bernard,
the vast majority of Japanese circuit sets that I know are thanks to you.

I can not help with own covers of japanese circuits, but if I can comment that there are others japanese circuits that anyone interested might not know.
Then I look for the links ...

·
redstar
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
]Heres some slot car box art from Hong Kong. Companies like OK Kader,Lincoln,Speedking,Speedtrax,Trix,SpeedMarx,Durham,AHI,PMC,Cragstan,Pedenco
,more. Thanks,Bernard

·
Administrator
9,909 Posts
Like 'em all Bernard!

This is really a picture of the 60s and 70s, graphically speaking, in a nutshell.

But I especially like that last little Groove Busters, way before ghost busters...

What's the Pedenco, that one doesn't ring a bell, or only vaguely...

Don

·
Registered
654 Posts
QUOTE (SAMPSON @ 25 Apr 2012, 13:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,im curious which ones you guys like,which ones are bad,comical,or really great.Thanks,Bernard

Thanks for sharing Bernard, you're a star.

Mm, let's see...I love the drama on the faces of the kids featured on the Lincoln International set, and those Mickey Mouse and Flintstones' sets certainly brought a smile to my face (do you have the contents?)

A snow mobile racing set? I've seen it all now. Btw there must have been a Detroit Racemaster set 2 surely, and you don't have it. Correct?

Thanks,
Billy

·
David H
3,901 Posts
This is a great thread, Bernard.

Thinking back to what would have appealed to me as a 10 year old, my favourite would have been the one below. Even now, I still think the front of the #76 car - is it an Offenhauser of some sort? - is one of the most beautiful designs in motor sport.

I'd have hated the Micky Mouse and Flintstones sets, and I wouldn't have liked the Flyover Speedway set either. If I'd wanted cars that jumped, I'd have preferred a Hot Wheels set with 20 yards of track to run down my parents' stairs.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
QUOTE (SAMPSON @ 24 Apr 2012, 22:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you imagine how much trouble they'd be in for condoning 'street racing' with this one today.

Some fantastic box art there.

Embs

·
redstar
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Don, the Pedenco set was made for the German market. Its very unusual because its the only race set made in Hong Kong with a train as well as the 2 Ferraris. You can see there are 2 plunger type controllers for the 2 Ferraris & a separate control for the train. Both are battery operated.The Ferraris are very beautiful in an awful way.You can see the train also uses brushes for contact with the track just like the 2 cars. Now all sets that had trains as well as cars always had the 2 different tracks separate & the cars could crash into the trains ,which if you were a kid was very cool. (Tyco,Minic,Aurora,Bachmann,Lionel,Gilbert, & Marx). Now only 2 sets ever made had the trains running along side the cars or actually racing them.1 was the Pedenco from Hong Kong & the other was the 1938 Marx electric streamline race set.(made only 1 year). Both sets are rare. The Marx set i have maybe the only one left. (the other 1937-38 race sets are not as rare).So Ive included some photos of the Marx set as well,just to compare.Thanks,Bernard

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
It looks like Bandai set took the Cox Ford GT artwork (side elevation) and modified it for the set. I also like the red Ford GT racing against a blue Ferrari GTO? the makers name is K.
Regards Allan

·
redstar
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi,hope everyone likes these photos so far.Heres photos of slot car set box top art from central & south America (Mexico,Brazil,& Argentina).The companies are Plasti Marx,Estrela,Industrias Plasticas,& L7 Toys. Enjoy,Bernard.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts