SlotForum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. In a fit of previously unknown activity, I threw myself into my long-over due Scalextric Brabham BT44 refresh/repaint project.

This is the poor little thing in primer (Note resin airbox needs bedding in)

And how she turned out when all painted up and new transfers applied:

The pictures are quite big - but zoom too far and you'll see my shoddy paint finish lol - it looks much better in the flesh, honest guv!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the positive replies

The airbox, decals and all the other improvements (replacement motor and tyres) were all sourced from http://www.scalextric-car.co.uk/

Roll bar is made from plastic rod and inserted into holes drilled in the body.

The decals are reproduction (inkjet) and are quite nice but the ink had a tendency to lift as I tried to dry them with a tissue. Perhaps I pressed a bit hard on them? One or two of the thin blue lines on the nose had to be touched in with paint, as did a corner of the front No. 8 and one of the red circles in the Martini logo. The driver helmet is not a decal - that is hand painted using photos as a guide.

As far as I know it is a British model... but I'm not certain. I bought it from a swap-meet about 12 months ago (along with a Ferrari 312) It certainly looks and feels just like the cars I used to have as a kid.

Edit: Found this photo I took of the original model 'as bought' - with Shadow decals on it you'll notice

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've got one of them that needs a bit of TLC. The motor mounting has cracked so I've got to fine a way to hold the motor in.

I'll have to have a look.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nicely done, Ian. I see you have added some rear suspension arms - something I toyed with and decided I couldnt make it look convincing enough. You seem to have made a lovely job of it.

By the way - love your other builds. Posts like yours make me want to cut up old cars... wait - is that a bad thing?

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Its not a bad thing.

I like to breathe new life into knackered but once beloved toys and make em ripsnorting quick!

The suspension arms are a doddle. Just a bit of garden wire with the green coating stripped off and bent to shape.

Keeps me out of the way of the wife and is a great stress buster after a [email protected] day at the office.

I've already lowered the front so the next mod is a front axle tube, which I've done to other F1s to unbelieveable effect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts