SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
This started off as a simple little project for fellow Bearwood racer Will Charlton.

Will is going to be competing in the Heart of England F1 Championship this year and he was looking for a decent car to race.

I built Will a Ferrari 312T which is quick, stable and reasonably easy to drive (See above), but having driven a few of my cars he was rather taken with the Scaley Brabham BT49 that I've built for myself.

I offered to build one for him but he asked if I could make his BT49 different in some way to differentiate with other similar cars in the championship.

I managed to source most of the parts at Milton Keynes swap meet recently for pennies, but when I was told a rear wing would cost £5.00! (yes £5.00!) I decided it would be easier to scratch build my own.

I decided to do the BT49 in the Red Parmalat livery from late 1979, but having masked off the blue and painted it red it just wasnt up to snuff. (see below).

The blue just looks tired, so I decided to make some new decals and paint in the blue sections.

To get suitable images I scoured the net and on my rounds I was reminded of the Alfa powered BT48 which I've always wanted to have a bash at.

But then I found this! The BT48 "full wing venturi" car built for Niki Lauda.

Will said he wanted "something different" so he's getting something different! AND he is a Niki Lauda fanatic so . . . .

The thing is that front wing will get destroyed in the racing and I've always liked the pointy nosed wingless look of the later BT48.

So I've kind of "fused" both designs together to come up with this.

Its still a "work in progress" but once it is detailed up I'm sure it will be a pretty quick car.

Fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts

See interesting period link about this car.

Stirling wasn't too far out with all his predictions was he?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Love it, looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Did the full venturi BT48 ever race, or was it a bust like the Lotus 80 (which did race but was a dud).

I too like the F1 cars without front wings, as well as Brabhams. Any plans to do a BT50?

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 26 Feb 2012, 11:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Love it, looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Did the full venturi BT48 ever race, or was it a bust like the Lotus 80 (which did race but was a dud).

I too like the F1 cars without front wings, as well as Brabhams. Any plans to do a BT50?

I can't find any stats that proved if it raced or not.

The fact that they went over to a conventional set up proves that it didn't work practically.

Arrows built a similar car but they also had similar problems as Lotus and Brabham with porpoising.

They all found that under braking and acceleration the downforce that the full venturi would produce would be inconsistent because of venturi leak from under the skirts and when the "whole wing' presented a different angle of attack under braking and acceleration.

The car would dive and rise unexpectedly like a porpoise, hence porpoising!

Nevertheless the car I'm building for Will should be absolutely unique in the Heart of England F1 Championship, which is what the customer wanted!

No plans to build a BT50 yet. I've got a French Scaley BT44 to restore, but that will have to wait until I've finished the next commission for Barry Davies in Wales.

Barry wants me to build a Hesketh for him.

I'm going to build it out of an old Scaley BT44 and a Shadow.

Wish me luck on that one!

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A bit more progress today.

Some masking, some painting, some decals and a quick re-assemble to see how its shaping up.

Its on the way as they say.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Another great modification Ian, it is looking good. You really get moving once you have a plan!!

Should the number be 5 or 6 as Niki Lauda was not world champion by the time this car was launched?

Keep us posted,

Philip

·
David Farrow
1,245 Posts
Hi Ian

I can't help noticing how low the nose is. Is there a guide in it. What kind of modifications do you permit to the guide to get it so low?

Df

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I'd forgotten about that car, think you should paint it in Duckhams colours give it a 1/28th head and some skinny wheels and tyres, and

HEY PRESTO !!

Instant Formula Ford series!

Oh just in case those of you think I'm taking the p***, I do think Ians made a great job of all his conversions, which I why I'm copying some of his techniques on my cars for his F1 Series.

Simon

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
QUOTE (Philip P @ 27 Feb 2012, 09:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Another great modification Ian, it is looking good. You really get moving once you have a plan!!

Should the number be 5 or 6 as Niki Lauda was not world champion by the time this car was launched?

Keep us posted,

Philip

Good spot.

The clue is in the title, "fusion fantasy build" . . . . . .

Its like that because I didn't have any decent no "5s" that I could use - and - sometimes I want an easy life - and - its a toy.

I also believe the real car had an Alfa V12 and this one has got a Johnson . . . . . ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
QUOTE (loud bloke @ 27 Feb 2012, 11:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Ian

I can't help noticing how low the nose is. Is there a guide in it. What kind of modifications do you permit to the guide to get it so low?

Df

There isn't a guide in it at the moment.

When there is it will sit on the track like a conventional BT49.

Read these regs for full details on mods (LINK).

Section 11 reads as follows:

11, Guide/braids/wiring:

11.1. Free, No regulations.
11.2. Guide locations may be modified to allow cars to sit closer to the track.

So its up to you how you want to do it . . . . within the remit of the full set of regs though, so it pays to read them all.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ian
Have you ever given any thought to a detachable front wing--screwed into place--easy to change/replace and would fill the gap left in the front from where the wing was initially located--just a thought. I admire your work and your ability to be "outside the box"!!!
Howard
towboater

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (towboater @ 28 Feb 2012, 02:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ian
Have you ever given any thought to a detachable front wing--screwed into place--easy to change/replace and would fill the gap left in the front from where the wing was initially located--just a thought. I admire your work and your ability to be "outside the box"!!!
Howard
towboater

That is a really good idea and as a matter of fact it is possible because there is a chassis location screw underneath the nose on the BT49 that would serve perfectly!

The client (Will from Bearwood) wanted me to produce something different and he liked the wingless concept, but I have got some uber thin flexible plasticard that would do the trick - and - it would be easily removable if he wasn't keen and resilient in a crash situation.

I was able to do the motor installation and the chassis/tyres set up last night so whilst there was a lot of progress there was nowt out of the ordinary to require photos.

Thanks for your post Towboater, I'll give it a go!

(I really like positive posts like this folks).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi Ian

Thanks for posting more great stuff !

I hadn't seen, or recall, the 'wingless wonders'...
...so it is good to see these prototypes.

Your Hesketh project sounds like a real winner as well.

When are you gonna slow down Ian ?
( never I hope ! )

Cheers

Si.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Cheers Si!

Nice to hear from you.

When am I going to slow down? Good question.

Well there was no progress tonight because I was out navigating on a Road/Scatter rally tonight in a Mini Countryman. Didn't do too well as the route was tough and the clues were really hard to crack. Won the championship last year mind you.

I'm not sure when I will slow down because this is pure escapism for me and its a real stress buster after a challenging day at work.

I'm married with a young daughter and I seldom get much time to myself but when I do its nice to lock myself in the workshop and focus on rebuilding these cars.

I find that it slows the mind down wonderfully and every time I do one I learn something new which I add to the next build.

Result? It becomes addictive!

I might have a bit of a break before the Hesketh build, but only because I'm not sure how I'm going to do it yet. Its going to be a tricky build fusing together the back end of a BT44 to the front end of a Shadow and still make it quick for the client.

What I tend to do is select the parts I'm going to use and then I stare at them for a few weeks in a Zen like state.

Only then do I get the dremel out and start hacking away!

Theres nothing quite like it!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE What I tend to do is select the parts I'm going to use and then I stare at them for a few weeks in a Zen like state.

Vital part of any project involving some degree of handicraft I find!

Coop

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Well the BT48 Venturi car is complete and ready for track testing at Bearwood tomorrow night.

I tried the front wing idea but it just didn't look right.

The only trouble is that I really, really like it and I am now going to find a way of killing the client and making it look like an accident so that I can keep it for myself!

Only joking . . . . .

. . . . . or am I?

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
The BT48 Prototype put in a very respectable 10.3 around the Bearwood track tonight.

I'm fairly sure the client will be pleased.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts