SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is going to be my attempt to build a Brabham BT52 like this.

Of course, Im not an expert modeler so using an Scx Williams Fw7 probably its not the best choice, but we use what we have at hand.

For now this is all, but eventually hope to advance a little more.

Of course some mates made a joke out of it... Pretty funny huh?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I look forward to seeing the finished article. The Brabham BT 52 is one of my favourite cars from Formula One history, a fantastic looking car.

I was fortunate enough to see them at the British Grand Prix 1983.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little more advance... At least I think so hehehe.

My idea is to build the frame and then use some putty to smooth all the body, altough that may add a lot of weight, suppose it wont be a Star on the track, but hey! The plan is to get a car thats not common. 🙂

Cheers

·
Registered
625 Posts
Pues lo llevas muy bien. No se si lo tenías pensado hacer, pero ahora que estas a tiempo pienso que es mejor decirlo que callarlo.
Antes decir que mirando imágenes, hay un poco de variabilidad entre las diferentes carreras, pero en general lo que se ve es el voladizo y no el pontón con el hueco del radiador. Yo cortaría un poco los pontones laterales dejándolos más atrás de donde acaba el habitáculo. Luego añadiría el voladizo y la base.
Siento que la mejor imagen que he encontrado para lo que he explicado (en azul y entre ambas piezas el número 5) es un kit 1:20 y no me suelo fiar mucho de las maquetas. Pero repito que hay diferentes configuraciones.

Well, you take it very well. I don't know if you had planned to do it, but now that you are on time I think it is better to say it than to shut it up.

Before saying that looking at images, there is a bit of variability between the different races, but in general what you see is the overhang and not the pontoon with the radiator hole. I would cut the side pontoons a bit, leaving them further behind where the cabin ends. Then I would add the overhang and base.

I feel that the best image I have found for what I have explained (in blue and between the two pieces the number 5) is a 1:20 kit and I do not usually trust the models very much. But I repeat that there are different configurations.

Frederic.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pues lo llevas muy bien. No se si lo tenías pensado hacer, pero ahora que estas a tiempo pienso que es mejor decirlo que callarlo.
Antes decir que mirando imágenes, hay un poco de variabilidad entre las diferentes carreras, pero en general lo que se ve es el voladizo y no el pontón con el hueco del radiador. Yo cortaría un poco los pontones laterales dejándolos más atrás de donde acaba el habitáculo. Luego añadiría el voladizo y la base.
Siento que la mejor imagen que he encontrado para lo que he explicado (en azul y entre ambas piezas el número 5) es un kit 1:20 y no me suelo fiar mucho de las maquetas. Pero repito que hay diferentes configuraciones.

Well, you take it very well. I don't know if you had planned to do it, but now that you are on time I think it is better to say it than to shut it up.

Before saying that looking at images, there is a bit of variability between the different races, but in general what you see is the overhang and not the pontoon with the radiator hole. I would cut the side pontoons a bit, leaving them further behind where the cabin ends. Then I would add the overhang and base.

I feel that the best image I have found for what I have explained (in blue and between the two pieces the number 5) is a 1:20 kit and I do not usually trust the models very much. But I repeat that there are different configurations.

Frederic.

Tienes razón Frederic, mmm, voy a ver si puedo arreglar el detalle antes de continuar, la verdad es que sería regresar un 30% 😅 y me da miedo estropear lo poco que he avanzado. Te agradezco el aviso👍

Youre right Frederic, mmm, Im going to see if I can fix the detail before continuining, truth is that that would be a set back about 30%😅 and Im afraid of messing the bit I have done. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Nice use of a biro top 👍
Don't worry about every detail
The important thing is to get the defining features in the model
In this case I would say they are the very slim tub, the arrow shaped side pods and the bumps over the front suspension rockers
The other is the rear cover but that biro has sorted that out nicely
Looking good

·
Registered
625 Posts
Youre right Frederic, mmm, Im going to see if I can fix the detail before continuining, truth is that that would be a set back about 30%😅 and Im afraid of messing the bit I have done. Thanks for the heads up.
No has de estropear nada. Haz un agujero (vaciar) la parte anterior del pontón, manteniendo todo lo que ya tienes hecho. Prepara una pieza del soporte de lo que creo que es el radiador, pero ese soporte de forma más o menos cuadrada, lo has de poner más perpendicular. Con esto mantienes el voladizo y la base.

You don't have to spoil anything. Drill a hole (empty) the front of the pontoon, keeping everything you already have done. Prepare a piece of the support of what I think is the radiator, but that support is more or less square, you have to put it more perpendicular. With this you keep the overhang and the base.

Frederic

·
Registered
625 Posts
Don't worry about every detail
The important thing is to get the defining features in the model
En mi opinión y con todo el respeto. Debido a que me he encontrado con problemas parecidos en otros coches, eso no es un detalle, es una parte que cambia totalmente el aspecto del coche y es el que le da las características definitorias del modelo.
Por poner un ejemplo con el mismo comentario de más arriba. Ese voladizo de la parte superior del pontón y la prolongación de la base hacia el cuerpo del coche, es una de las pocas cosas que diferencia un BT52 de un FW08.

In my opinion and with all due respect. Because I have encountered similar problems in other cars, this is not a detail, it is a part that totally changes the look of the car and is what gives it the defining characteristics of the model.

To give an example with the same comment as above. That overhang of the top of the pontoon and the extension of the base towards the body of the car is one of the few things that differentiates a BT52 from a FW08.

Salut
Frederic

EDITO: Ahora me doy cuenta que este comentario puede conducir a la confusión. No hablo del FW08 de 1982, sino del FW08 de 1983 que llevaba la nomenclatura FW08C

EDIT: Now I realize that this comment can lead to confusion. I'm not talking about the 1982 FW08, but the 1983 FW08 that bore the nomenclature FW08C

Frederic

·
Registered
31 Posts
En mi opinión y con todo el respeto. Debido a que me he encontrado con problemas parecidos en otros coches, eso no es un detalle, es una parte que cambia totalmente el aspecto del coche y es el que le da las características definitorias del modelo.
Por poner un ejemplo con el mismo comentario de más arriba. Ese voladizo de la parte superior del pontón y la prolongación de la base hacia el cuerpo del coche, es una de las pocas cosas que diferencia un BT52 de un FW08.

In my opinion and with all due respect. Because I have encountered similar problems in other cars, this is not a detail, it is a part that totally changes the look of the car and is what gives it the defining characteristics of the model.

To give an example with the same comment as above. That overhang of the top of the pontoon and the extension of the base towards the body of the car is one of the few things that differentiates a BT52 from a FW08.

Salut
Frederic

EDITO: Ahora me doy cuenta que este comentario puede conducir a la confusión. No hablo del FW08 de 1982, sino del FW08 de 1983 que llevaba la nomenclatura FW08C

EDIT: Now I realize that this comment can lead to confusion. I'm not talking about the 1982 FW08, but the 1983 FW08 that bore the nomenclature FW08C

Frederic
I think I agree here. The shape is quite different and in this case with the Brabham having such a slimline body the extensions are actually a very prominent feature. If I get a some time, I'll have a look through my old storage boxes for an '83 issue of Grand Prix mag for a really good shot of a BT52. This pic shows my FLY FW08c compared to the BT52 (More than Slot)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll try to fix the model the best I can😅

The Brabham BT52 is really iconic and outstanding among other cars when it comes to design, thats why I wanted to build one before realizing its not that simple, but I feel I can do it, thanks everyone for your coments, tips and pictures.

If I cut a rectangle and glue it to the side panels where the radiators are, I'll probably fix the model as Frederic said. Will update the pics as soon as I fix it.

Cheers

·
ParrotGod
8,215 Posts
Interesting model....I just now realise what DNQ means with the "biro top" comment. ;-)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting model....I just now realise what DNQ means with the "biro top" comment. ;-)
Yes, it was an idea that came out all of a sudden😅, cause I had in sight a scholar pen with the cap and thought about using it for the back of the car, not bad eh?

Its a real challenge for me to build this Brabham as Im more into 3dp models, so Classic S&B its not my strenght but hey! It helps to improve my few modeler skills.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took the advice of Frederic and Keke and fixed the best I could the side panel design, still some more putty to add, but nevertheless looks like the body its not so heavy(yet), so maybe it would end in 22 grams after the painting and varnish are aplied.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well this is the best I got on the BT52, body almost ready for decals, rear wing also waiting for decals.

Until now, I havent realize that the rear wing has two small winglets that make a kind of compositor big rear wing, so I had to make them and also will be added when mounting the whole kit.

Its been a great pleasure to build this car old school method, plus my 3d printer had some trouble that must be fixed so good time to spend with the Clasic school of modeling.

Having another Williams body and a good set of decals, came to my mind building another great Brabham, this time the BT50, but that will be another thread, so for the moment I leave just a sample 😉

Cheers

1 - 20 of 31 Posts