SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Kitbasher
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does anyone have an idea what Halfords car colour is closest to the early Brabham Turquoise, not the Dark Green they used later?

Appreciate any help...

Peter

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
probably turquoise pete that's where I , d start , did they not revert back to that colour in 1970

cheerstony

·
Kitbasher
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that Twigman but I don't use an airbrush and tbh I don't fancy learning on an expensive Vintage kit.
You are right Tony but this a Faller BT7/BT11 so funny colour first time around...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hi Peter,

I used Ford Maritime blue on this BT33. I am not sure how close it is to the original, but it does look a different hue under varying light conditions (natural, flash, fluorescent etc.)

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Here's a picture of the actual car, hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't use an airbrush and tbh I don't fancy learning on an expensive Vintage kit.
It's far easier than rattle cans

·
Dave Capelen
2,788 Posts
Hi Mark 50,

based on the photos you have shown and even allowing for the differing light conditions, when compared to photos of the actual cars,

I think you would need a slightly lighter blue than the Ford Maritime Blue. To me, there's a hint of grey in it the actual colour, too.

That said, everyone sees colours with their own eyes and I have had so many arguments about what constitutes turquoise....is it more

blue, or more green...?

Cheers

Dave

·
Kitbasher
4,331 Posts
Excellent idea tea boy!

I have being doing some digging...

I have three Brabhams, A Faller a Supershells and a ATLAS

here we go, Faller has suspension detail and weird tail flick up, Supershells is blue, ATLAS is final one with vents under engine

med_gallery_2873_1217_808651.jpg

med_gallery_2873_1217_489824.jpg

med_gallery_2873_1217_889279.jpg

Now the Faller box says it is a BT3

But it does not match any of the BT3 pictures on the Web.

med_gallery_2873_1217_150954.jpg

Thanks Ultimate Car Page.com

The strange tail only appears on the BT12 Indycar AKA Brawner Hawk (I have a plastic kit in 1/32-1/34)

med_gallery_2873_1217_25619.jpg

Thanks Motorsport Magazine.

So I will paint it turquoise as it ran at N'burg in 1962 but I know that Faller have the body shape wrong and the engine/exhaust detail is wrong but as this car is heading for Roncole Verdi it is important that it remains painted but unmolested as the Kit must be production standard, not modified or points are lost.

God knows what they will make of my 1/24 Riggen BRM H16!

Thanks for the help, pictures will be posted when built/painted.

Oh quick edit,

see Phil I told you that the ATLAS and Faller bodyshells were different!

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
None of the above bodies are BT3.
The Atlas is close to a BT7 but needs the rear cut off just after the intakes and a little reshaping.
This piece could then be used on the Super shells body that is the closest to a BT3.
The is most likely thevIndy car,
So as models none are correct, so IMO altering the kit should get you more points for having a model of an actual car.

·
Kitbasher
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
None of the above bodies are BT3.
The Atlas is close to a BT7 but needs the rear cut off just after the intakes and a little reshaping.
This piece could then be used on the Super shells body that is the closest to a BT3.
The is most likely thevIndy car,
So as models none are correct, so IMO altering the kit should get you more points for having a model of an actual car.
I would not disagree with any of that Phil but the Roncole scrutineers are really hot on 'Slot car as built' so modifying the body will lose points, not gain them.

Equally the Faller (Failer?) exhausts are nothing like any Brabham but I need them original to score maximum points.

Ask Phil Smith, he lost points for having a Chrome Can FT16D in a Monogram (sheesh, how was I to know that Monogram made a chrome can FT16D?).

:)

·
Phil Smith
2,628 Posts
I think the Faller is a fantasy body shape based on the indy car, the earlier Fallers were exactly the same as the Atlas bodies. But of course being a toy manufacturer they were not bothered that the box still said BT3

Roncole Verdi this year is for Monoposto Slot cars so it does not really matter if the car did not actually exist, just paint it a nice green and put the gold stripe decals I gave you on it and all will, I am sure, be well.

·
Kitbasher
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you Phil, sage words indeed and you are of course correct, it is just that I like 'scale' models and this one clearly is not...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts