SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all..

I have made up some brake markers and corner markers for my track, however i have a question.

Common brake markers are 200m, 100m and 50m then the corner. However if you scale down 200m 1/32 distance, the 200m marker would be a whopping 6.25m away from the corner which is silly. So what format do you guys use? i was thinking every 20cm per 100m.

What do you guys use?

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Hi FuNkSty,

There is often required a quiet suspension of reality when it comes to layouts and landscaping. (I think is a dream of many here to build a true scale track but also an acceptance that space is not available and also without binoculars it would not be possible to clearly see the other side of the track!)

So I use a full length Scalextric straight as my nominal 100m. I ended up with this as it was convenient to put the brake markers at the start of the track boarders.

Good luck and go with what looks good on your layout

Cheers,
Philip

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, thats actually a good starting point, 1 straight of track per 100m. They are a reasonable distance as well since 3 pieces is 105cm. (35x35x35)

·
Ian
99 Posts
FuNkSty,
If it looks right, then it is right!

Perhaps that should be if it looks right to you, then nobody else matters it's your track

Slotcar layout landscaping Licence is whatever suits you, just have fun with it.

And a totally different aspect once you have it built what is the first thing (after driving a car round) you do? Photograph it! What does it look like through the camera lens?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am planning to open a thread and chart my build but i literally have only just started.

I will post something on friday if i get the chance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Greetings All...

When I started building my track (the Circuit du Soleil), I decided I wanted to create some small vignettes (scenes) that would evoke memories & feelings reminiscent of photos, videos, etc. I had seen.

Anytime you view a photo, video, movie, or whatever, note that there is a "compression" effect that makes things look closer than they are. You can use this to your advantage when building scenery to capture that effect.

I figure that my head is about the height of a very low flying helicopter when I am looking over my track & I try and make sure, as a person walks round the table, that their attention is drawn to a little thing here & a little thing there, instead of taking in the whole table at once (except when first walking in).

Following are some pics looking down the main straight on my track. The total length of this is about 3.65 meters. The closest shot shows how close the braking markers really are (only about 13cm apart) - yet, every view, except when you are right on top of them, gives an impression of much greater distance. Actually, if you are walking round the table, by the time you get to this point you don't really notice they are so close!

Sorry for the rambling post & the grainy pics (my camera is acting up)..l.

Bill W.

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Don't want to hijack this thread but have you a link to some more pics of your track please Bill.

Allan

·
Registered
49 Posts
Greetings All...

I don't really have much, yet, in the way of pics. Here is a link to my photobucket gallery: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Racegamer/
There's not much there - I will try & take some shots & add them soon.

I am writing a pseudo-history of this track & will (hopefully) soon have a web site devoted to it that will include maps, history, photos, etc...

I would have a SlotForum gallery, but am currently unemployed & can't afford that extra expense right now.

Bill W.

·
Registered
49 Posts
To FunNkSty...

Do you have any pics of your brake markers?

I really love see what other people have done (I find lots of ideas to steal!).

Bill W.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Race gamer - your track looks brilliant! The pits look very cool.

I always felt that having the markers close together would look weird but you have proved it doesn't.

I'll post pictures tomorrow but they are not fixed yet as work on the corner is ongoing. But basically they are Geezers markers over on slot car illustrated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just think what are those markers for in real size??? to indicate where to brake.

Well, where would you need something like that in your track? 10, 20, 30 cm ??

Just think where you start to lift off the throttle, and put the marks there......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts