SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi,
I am new to Oxigen using an SCP-3 and I have problems with braking. Brakes are too strong.
When I drive analog I can fine tune the brakes very smoothly.
I tried all different settings on SCP-3. It is only driveable at 0. (12 o'clock).
And it rolls too long, but on every other setting it does not roll at all.
I takes only 2-3 inches to brake from high speed to zero.
Motor is strong: Baby King 11/28, but when driven analog that combo is super smooth.

Is there something that I have to adjust? Maybe in the firmware setting of the car?
This how it's setup at the moment.
Brown Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

·
ParrotGod
11,104 Posts
My first question - just to clarify - have you used the same exact car in analog with the SCP3?
In your post you mention that " I drive analog I can fine tune the breaks very smoothly": could you please elaborate more?
Do you mean using the SCP3 in analog? Do you use an analog cartridge?
If you give us more details we might be able to help..or not ;-)

·
Greg Gaub
16,855 Posts
OK, so the comparison is between digital/O2 with the SCP3 and analog using some other analog controller. Not a direct comparison, but it still illustrates the point that there is too big of a jump in braking power on the SCP3 between 0 and 1. Those motors are particularly strong, and I've found that NSR motors in general need to have a lot less braking for smooth driving, as compared to other motors, but I usually don't struggle to find a spot >0 to get it right. I can usually, in an analog race with an SCP2, find a good position between 1 and 3.

I can do some additional testing using an SCP3 both for O2 and analog using the same type of motor, if not the same car, to see if it's this bad for me as well. Hopefully in the next few days.

I'm hoping that this can be a firmware fix for the SCP3 and/or TypeC chip.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Have you tried setting the limit settings to 100%? We (at O2) have it set to 100% and disabled (we've never tried it any other way) because it's all handled by PClap.

Or, maybe you have to calibrate the controller.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I said this for moths now ,also with any scp controller.the button is from 1 untill 10..but you olmost cant use 2 .Maurizio is werking on it is for me the latest news..but yes it depends also witch motor you drive

·
ParrotGod
11,104 Posts
Thanks for the video Chris.
For what I can see, this behavior with that motor and gear ratio is perfectly ok. Note that you are not using the body, which reduces the mass to brake.
In our GT3 racing, with those motors and a longer gear ratio (12/28 and 13/31) we have the brakes set between 1 and 2. You do not need much.

·
ParrotGod
11,104 Posts
Not completely correct. The settings for this particular motor/gear combo are that strong because these 17K motors have lots of torque (plus a lot of magnetic traction).
When I use my SCP2 with other cars, like thunderslot lola or revo, I need to move the brake settings up.
Same when I use the SCP2 with the CRI and an analog cart, I need to adjust the brake settings according to the car/motor/gear I am using.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honestly I think the breaks are too strong on 1-5.
For me the adjustable break is one of the major improvements to carrera digital. So I need this to work properly. ;-)

·
ParrotGod
11,104 Posts
Chris
I think it is working and the brakes are still adjustable.
The only thing is that you have a very limited range of options with this motor and gearing.
You can have another go by putting an oXigen chip in a 1/24 car and see if this is still the case.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Chris
I think it is working and the brakes are still adjustable.
The only thing is that you have a very limited range of options with this motor and gearing.
You can have another go by putting an oXigen chip in a 1/24 car and see if this is still the case.
With all deu of respect,i see this as a work around, to drive the motors of gearings so the break feels okay.slot.it has to solve variable braiking adjusment from 1 untill 10

·
ParrotGod
11,104 Posts
I am not sure what they need to fix here. Is this happening with all motors? My experience tells me that this is not the case and I have already said that with some cars/motors I have to crank up the brakes. Maybe - but I am not sure if this is possible - they could have a low/medium/high setting via app to control the strength of the brakes across the range of values available via the knob....similar to the switch that is on top of the SCP2 and SCP3 controlling the aggressiveness of the throttle curve.

Reactions: Henri

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From my Experience it is true that some motors (very low torque, e.g. policar modern F1 cars) in combination with a very long transmission require a different break setting. But that is an edge case. For 90% of motors (flat6, mx15, nsr babyking, king evo, boxer/2, carrera e200, bison, .. ) with a common gear ratio (11/25, 11/28, 11/27, 13/31, 13/28, 14/46, etc.) you can only use the setting between 1 or 2.
And I'd like to have the cars roll more. So I would need: 0.2, 0.4, 0.6.
So my point is, even when I set it to 1, it breaks to hard.

·
Administrator
10,509 Posts
A good algorithm on the brake settings ought to have been able to cope with the vast range of brake sensitivity that you get with different motors (and the effect of mag/no-mag).

Maurizio, maybe a tweak to the brake steps? A square law perhaps?

Chris, try a slot.it motor, the throttle should have been optimised for that. (NSR was really a competitor for slot.it!)

·
ParrotGod
11,104 Posts
For 90% of motors (flat6, mx15, nsr babyking, king evo, boxer/2, carrera e200, bison, .. ) with a common gear ratio (11/25, 11/28, 11/27, 13/31, 13/28, 14/46, etc.) you can only use the setting between 1 or 2.
Chris, did you test the oXigen chip and the SCP3 with all those motors and gear combos? Or is this a hypothetical statement?

·
ParrotGod
11,104 Posts
And your analog controller shows that it's certainly possible to have less brakes without going to no brakes at all.
To be it is not clear if Chris has tested that chassis/motor/gear ration in a pure analog config. Or have I missed something?

·
Greg Gaub
16,855 Posts
To be it is not clear if Chris has tested that chassis/motor/gear ration in a pure analog config. Or have I missed something?
His track is set up for D132 or analog, it seems. To test the same car as analog, he unplugged the chip and connected the pickup to the motor as OEM.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts