SlotForum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the talk about brakes, I was wondering if I had them?

Dumb question, but the last time that I had a slot set was in 1977 during the big heat-wave! I didn't have brakes then for sure.

This is what I have on my layout:

Do I have brakes? If I do, they are not really that noticeable, or have I forgotten how my cars used to fly off my GP set in the 70's.

Can I fit those fancy brake lights that Swiss uses?

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Nuro
If your using a sport set-up you do you have brakes - you've no choice in the matter. You probably don't notice beacuse while the gearing on the Monograms is higher than the old chassis Carerras it is still geared better for top speed rather than breaking/acceleration.

Easiest way to show you the diff of with and w/o brakes is this:
On your main straight get your car up to full speed and release the trigger - mark where it ends up. Do it again and when you hit the mark where you released the tigger previously keep the trigger fully on but turn the power off - the car will coast like it would if you had no brakes. Note the difference in how far the car goes.

If no difference then my experiment is logically flawed!

I use a Scaly Classic Power Base plus that you can turn brakes on or off - the power base puts the short across the motor that is very severe allowing you to go full speed and break within one straight of even the tighest corners. Great until you go to another venue and your cars don't brake as much as expected. Pile up!

Tuck

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
As far as I know - the fancy brake light system I use is the only aftermarket one available with so much variation.

Overdrive

I am not sure if there is a French Distributor for these but I will find out and let you know.

In fact I will get a Distributor / seller list for Overdrive stuff to post here.

We could do that for a few aftermarket suppliers ehh?

·
DT
5,195 Posts
QUOTE (Swissracer @ 19 Sep 2003, 05:49 PM)I am not sure if there is a French Distributor for these but I will find out and let you know.
I dindn't think there was a French distributer for anything.

The prices in my local shops give me the impression that they buy retail and then mark-up.

I've checked out Overdrive before. I'll look again.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
QUOTE (mtucker666 @ 19 Sep 2003, 05:42 PM)Easiest way to show you the diff of with and w/o brakes is this:
On your main straight get your car up to full speed and release the trigger - mark where it ends up. Do it again and when you hit the mark where you released the tigger previously keep the trigger fully on but turn the power off - the car will coast like it would if you had no brakes. Note the difference in how far the car goes.
Good idea.
Tomorrow I experiment. I'll post my findings.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Nuro,

what Tuck says should in theory work.

lights can be bought off overdrive or you can simply make your own.
yep, that is a hint to an idea..

Inte

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
QUOTE In fact I will get a Distributor / seller list for Overdrive stuff to post here.

We could do that for a few aftermarket suppliers ehh?
As luck would have it,Klaus at Overdrive just happens to be my only(so far)German/European distributor.

So,all you Euro Slot Heads looking for BWA wheels and other related Slot Goodies,give Klaus a shout,and I am sure he will be able to help you out.

In the good old US of Eh!,Professor Motor is the man to talk to.

I may soon have a Distributor in the UK as well,I will let you all know as soon as I do.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey there!

Something else to try to notice the braking effect;

Hold the back end of your car off the track and nail the throttle. Release the throttle whilst still holding the car and notice how quickly it stops. Try the same again but this time instead of releasing the throttle this time simply lift the car from the rails and notice how the car freewheels.

QED

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Hey slick,
thats the reason for fitting the pot in the brake line ,I think you took a look at my electronic plumbers nightmare at wrexham ,if you didnt and are going to the enduro take a look I'll give you the diagaram
Graham

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Grah,

hopefully we will have farnham, pendle, us and eastcote (I think) next sat, however because of Slik's new found commitments, he may not be able to make it.. so a shout from him on what is happening would be a help!

Inte

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Grah,

hopefully we will have farnham, pendle, us and eastcote (I think) next sat, however because of Slik's new found commitments, he may not be able to make it.. so a shout from him on what is happening would be a help!

Inte

1 - 13 of 13 Posts