SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Jim Moyes
6,521 Posts
I've seen examples of "fast in-slow out" before!

I think it is caused by the "how the hell did I make it round that corner" experience which is usually followed by a second or two of regaining composure and wondering if anyone else noticed

Mr.M

· Ric Woods
800 Posts
Wankel - I don't think my reputation as someone who displays his cars on his fridge door is completely deserved but....

I do only have 5 cars (out of 60-odd) that have no magnets. Quite often the faster cars do acquire a bit of extra magnetism, but usually only to keep the front end pinned down a bit over my Classic track bumps. With the forthcoming magnetless 4 hour race at Wrexham in mind, I took the magnet out of my brand new GT1-98 for a bit of practice, whereupon it made a series of urgent appointments with the bedroom wall, nothing to do with me forgetting about the corners, more to do with the car leaving the slot about 2/3rds of the way along the straights and ignoring the corners altogether...

The bolides of Moo aren't so magged-up as to give much away on a long straight, I would like to think, and I voted for 'slow in, fast out' on the poll!

So to sum up,....er...yes it is deserved...sort of. Bah!

Mooster

· Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
so moo if you voted fast in slow out.. who voted for the last option? I had it down to you and Mr Scalextric of scalextricville scalextric lane scalextric land BR I only like scalextric

nope wasnt talking of mope at all there!

Inte

· Registered
1,330 Posts
QUOTE think it is caused by the "how the hell did I make it round that corner" experience which is usually followed by a second or two of regaining composure and wondering if anyone else noticed

that is so true

· Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Can I throw another parameter into the equation? (similar to a prawn on the barbie, but more chewy)?

I find that it depends on the radius of the curve as to whether I slow in and fast out or just keep at the same speed.

At Farnham, (Surrey, England, Europe) we habe a sharp 180 hairpin, that on the inside lane it is definitely slow in, slew round, floor it, whereas on the outer lane of four you can just relax the throttle a bit and get round in one piece.

With an SCX Audi R8 with the screws relaxed slightly or the F1 Jag the inside lane is the only one I relax he throttle at all on.

To be on the safe side it it worth slwoing down a bit going in just in case soemone goes in too fast and then you can take avoiding action!!

It's been so long since I started this..what was the question?

· Jim Moyes
6,521 Posts
I believe Ecurie Ecosse has been away doing some research into this topic.

I'm sure he'll let us know his findings.

Mr.M

· Registered
5,910 Posts
Ah.., yes. Err... well, it just happened, really. Nothing I could do. Well, except take my foot of the brake and roll backwards before it rolled. Or not have been going quite so fast in the first place.

To cut a long story short, I rolled a Peugeot 406 hire car on to its roof late last night on a quiet, very dark Scottish Borders country road. I'm fine, thanks for asking. Car's not so good.

The funny (well, perhaps not the correct word) thing is that I threw away two race wins with just two laps to go last week at Liphook by rolling in a right hander. Difference last night is I wasn't even going that fast (about 30mph at the time of going up the bank) let alone racing.

Problem was, not only was the corner was way tighter than expected, the earth bank on the outside started relatively shallow (good thing), but got steeper as it went around (bad thing). I stopped less than a car's length off the road with only minor scraping to the front spoiler.

Then the nose slid about a metre down the bank. Then the wheels hit the road, which was when, using that bit of momentum gained sliding down the bank, she rolled, ever so slowly, onto her side. Thence, being a curvy sided Peugeot, on to her roof. All very sedate.

Having never been upside down in car before I sat (well, hung actually) for a moment to take in the view, then released the belt and got out. Quite quickly.

Loads of "if onlys" as with every accident, but at the end of the day it must be my fault as I was the only one in the car (although the lack of a few pre-emptive reflective warning signs was a contributory factor. Locals and Police telling you, "this has always been a bad bend" offers little solice once your car's upside down). Aside for some inconvenience I'm fine, which is the main thing. Cars, despite the emotional links we have to them, are just bits of metal and plastic and very easily replaced.

Oh yes, the other big difference to my offs at Liphook was that the nice man at the hire company gave me another car this morning. My slot car retailer didn't offer to replace the minutes old, but now scratched Speedbird. Ouch!

Scott

· Registered
5,404 Posts
QUOTE (well, hung actually)
Me, I probably would have omitted the critical comma!

But after a certain notorious photograph published in another place,
Scotto's discretion obviously came to the fore, here!

· Registered
5,910 Posts
You saw that picture! I thought it got censored by the Starphoto police straight away. I've still got two "yellow cards" showing on my pages.

Given that my hand was covering my embarrassment it must have been my body they objected to. My wife does

Scott

· Registered
5,158 Posts
Well - the topic of this post is about braking, so i thought i'd put my question here:

How does it work?

I can see the difference of having scalextrix brakes and none, since one of my controllers had a faulty conection resulting in no brakes, resulting in the cars taking a lot longer to slow down.

But how does the third wire connected to the controller make the cars brake, when the cars can only see whats on 2 rails????? Why do the cars brake instead of free wheeling? Why do they free-wheel without that wire????????????????

Confused and appreciative of some kind of theory,

Dave

(oh and in answer to the topics question, i am a newish scalextric driver, but am experimenting with braking into the curve and gradually accellerating out... hmm need more practice)

· Rich Dumas
4,546 Posts
When the controller is in the brake position you have a dead short across the motor (but hopefully not across the track!). Whenever your car is moving the motor is generating a back EMF. If the car is under power that back EMF is actually pushing back at the power supply and increasing the motor's effective resistance (of maybe reducing the actual voltage). When the car is rolling with the power off and the motor is not shorted the motor is acting as a generator, but there is no place for the current to go although there is voltage. As soon as you short the motor is is actually doing some work, which causes an electrical drag and slows the car down a lot faster than just the mechanical drag would.

· Premium Member
5,364 Posts
Slow into the first corner - let the others come off! - then slow parade lap to win 4 point!

Especially when running 4x4 rally and someone drives the Ninco Dakar cars!

But generally slow in fast out.

Gareth

· Registered
84 Posts
We generally race Ninco F1's and other Ninco cars so I guess deep into the corner and hard on the gas on the way out. I try not to get too much slideing happening as it is too slow. With cars like the Ninco Mercedes CLK it is fun going in really deep and sliding into the corner and letting it straighten on the exit and come out hard again. Works better on scaelextric track, especially sport as Ninco track can cause the back end to bounce a bit when you try accelerating from standard radius and inner curves. Nothing more annoying than popping a motor out of its mount in the middle of a race.

Vince

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.