SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
A while back on another topic, Spa Modeller made reference to my track. As well he should, since he has personally handled more than 100 pounds of the Sculptamold.

With his help, I have been working on this for the last couple of months. The under-pinnings are standard 1X4 model railroad construction and 1" pink foam boards held together with hot glue. Track is Carrera plastic with a lap length of about 65 ft. I had to decide the most important features of the circuit to "highlight" and condense the rest to fit the confines of the room and accommodate the 33" or less than 1 meter wall on the right side of the track. If Spa Modeller or I ever put on any more weight we will not be able to squeeze back to the driving stations located at the end of Top Straight, just before Paddock
There is less than 16" between the wall and track. As you can see from the room diagram I tried to use every inch available for track and scenery room. The other fun feature is the 24" between the bottom of the wood frame and the floor. You do not want to de-slot on this track. You will be punished trying to get to the two access holes in the center of the track.

Another 50 pounds of sculptamold and we should be ready to start laying ground cover and trees. We hope to install the bridges to the infield at Bottom straight this week. If anyone has any clear pictures or could post some web links to same, it would be most appreciated. I had originally thought the construction to be concrete pre-cast, from watching the 1970 BOAC race movie. In Grand Prix it looks like they are of heavy timber construction. I'll take all the help I can get. Also would be interested in the pit building colors in the late '60's to mid-1970's. Does anyone know when the steel ARMCO barriers appeared? If you would like to take a lap around the unfinished track, please feel free to view my photos on PHOTO BUCKET : http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee310/c...k/Brands_Hatch/ The password is "brandshatch", all one word, lower case. Not sure if you will need it or not. Again thanks to Spa modeller and my construction foreman for their tireless labor.

I will post more pictures as we continue the adventure on our weekly Friday "play day". Oh the joys of that second childhood as we approach our 60's!

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Wow, yet another fine track to keep an eye on! Is that the Brands Hatch in England (UK) or the Brands Hatch in England (USA)?

When you've got help like that who needs a budgie? The foam panels are exactly the same sort that I used, except mine are a nice tan colour, not bright pink. I guess it comes from being in Italy and using the right tanning lotion.

I love the sweeps around the circuit. Mine is much more 'point and blast'. But that is what makes each track different to drive. Wouldn't it be boring if we all had the same design, used the same techniques, and drove the same cars? It's bad enough having the same figures!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Graham. It's intend to be UK. But what with poetic license, (or is that modelers license) there could certainly be some room for debate. Since LMP (Gary), an Englishman is doing an American desert track, it seemed only fitting for a Yank to do a British track. Something about the grass always being greener on the other guys side of the fence I think.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Brands Hatch was largely free of Armco barriers up to and including 1971 and was just surrounded by the earth banking. In 1972 most of the circuit was lined with railway sleepers to a height of about 4feet and there was also a single rail of Armco set at ground level.

David

·
Registered
468 Posts
Goodness, looks to be a diet for old 'SpaModeller'; must be all that sculptamold dust! Lovely set of pictures of 'Brands Hatch', and I'm looking forward to the next steps. Good thing we bought those wood bits for the bridge-looks like we'll be "right" either way. This has really been a fun track to have been invited to work on; thanks so much. Looking good. And yes, pictures from those who were actually there in the 'old days' are always appreciated. Thanks so much David. See you Thursday Cletrak.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
QUOTE (cletrak @ 5 Dec 2007, 08:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Graham. It's intend to be UK. But what with poetic license, (or is that modelers license) there could certainly be some room for debate. Since LMP (Gary), an Englishman is doing an American desert track, it seemed only fitting for a Yank to do a British track. Something about the grass always being greener on the other guys side of the fence I think.

Well, I think it has something to do with nostalgia, or wanting to be somewhere else, or wanting to create something that is that little bit different and interesting. You are certainly 'on track'! Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Hmmm, I say that so often maybe it should be in my signature!

·
Gary Skipp
6,655 Posts
It's definately worth visiting the album! Wow! The grass banking looks absolutely terrific.

I think this is going to be one of the best tracks around once it's done. I'm really looking forward to the development.

Hey, if I could fit that in my room then I'd do that instead! Haha. I decided on desert based on the track layout. I wanted a German forest to begin with

There's a perfect website for you here, check this gallery out:
http://www.f3history.co.uk/Racingpics/index.htm

·
Administrator
10,408 Posts
Wow, I was going to ask if you had included the dip before the Druids hairpin, but it's all there! How did you get all the elevations?

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Hi

Lovely track, but of course you have been helped by the master! It is so much like Brands! Paddock Hill Bend will be fantastic! Isn't there are a Dunlop bridge oposite the start line? There is a famous picture that shows this, it is of Colin Chapman, 2 Lotus's (Nigel and Elio) and the Lotus transporters in the back, anyone know it?

Jon

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
This is so worth the wait! I've been coversing with SpaModeller about this track from the early days of it's inception, and I must say that it is everything that Spa said it would be. It's early in the development, but the groundwork laid (pun intended) clearly indicates the amount of thought put into the track planning and elevations of the course. This is a terrific example showing that a 1:1 track can be convincingly modeled with a modest track length. The track plan looks to be quite fun to drive. The sweepers make for a nice flow, and the grade changes should keep drivers challenged enough. It's going to be a lot of fun to follow your progress. Thanks for sharing.

Brad

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for all the kind words. First, I must apologize for not answing your questions sooner. Yesterday was a long day away from home with me getting to bed late. I got up about 15 minutes before Spa Modeller rang the door bell. David, thank you very much for the pictures and answers to my questions. I was counting on your knowledge and experience at Brands Hatch for the answers. As to the elevations, Carrera has recently introduced some four piece overpass bridge units that can be combined for some interesting effects, such as the dip after Paddock. Carrera track, being almost a styrene plastic lets you mold it with heat, pressure and a dab of hot glue into various configurations also. Finally the rear most access hole inside Hawthorns,Dingle and Moss will just get trimmed out with a green painted liner. The rather large hole at Bottom straight will be reduced enough to allow spectators along the berm and a row of vehicles to be parked behind them. Why or why didn't I buy all those Airfix sedans when they were readily available!? Off to eBay I guess. As progress continues I will add to the album and place a few in my posts. Whoops, almost forgot, the track paint at this point is Aut stick omotive sandable primer. It seems to stick very well and has an almost "gritty" surface. I will be trying to darken it a bit with mists of black or darker gray to tone it down a bit. I looks great for concrete as is, but is much too bright for tarmac.

Jim

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee310/c...k/Brands_Hatch/
password "brandshatch"

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spa Modeller and I laid a little more sculptamold today. We laid out the pit area and access road. Having another opinion was a great help. I was afraid to crowd too much into the pit area, but we were able to find room for 2 more stalls. As you drive into the pits the first 2 will be at a 5 deg. angle to the main row to replicate the bend in the real ones. Then the there will be 4 in a row at the same height and lastly 2 additional raised just enough to see the step in the roof lines. We committed and finally cut the entrance to the access tunnel.

Lastly we were looking for the air brush to spray the track a little darker. Couldn't find it and Spa Modeller had to leave for home. Of course I found it right after he left. As I was mixing up a thin mixture to spray, it occured to me that if I thinned it a bit more I would have a "wash" and could brush it on. Tried it. Didn't like it. Played around with the paint some more and finally settled on 1 part Poly Scale SP Lark Dark Gray, 1 part Poly Scale ATSF Blue and 3 parts water. After mixing I was dabbing a bit on the track with a paper towel to check color. With the blue the brown tint from the gray alone was removed and I had a more asphalt tarmac shade. The paper towel left some lint. But I liked the "rag" as a means of application, so I found an old T-shirt and went to work with what was basically a "staining process". 3 coats gave me this:

I think is a fairly good effect. Here is a picture with a small patch of the gray primer no tint and black original track for comparison purposes.

All in all a productive day. Tomorrow we are on to ground foam and brush at Druids. Pictures tomorrow night, I hope.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Spectacular!

Congratulations so far.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.