SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts

Just over three months since the announcement that Honda was withdrawing from Formula One, Jenson Button today gave the Brawn GP 001 its first shakedown at Silverstone.

With all systems working perfectly during its first exploratory laps around Silverstone, the team will take the car to Barcelona for their first serious test, before another private test session at Jerez the following week and a final run at Silverstone, before the cars are flown to Melbourne for the Australian Grand Prix.

The Mercedes engines used by Brawn GP are identical in specification to those used by McLaren although the Brawn uses their own gearbox. The Brawn GP 001 will not use KERS this season but judging by the problems all other teams are experiencing with the new Bridgestone slick tyres graining extremely quickly, the weight distribution of the Brawn without KERS could favour the team. KERS units weigh in the region of 45 kg.

Rubens Barrichello will partner Jenson Button.

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Nice Russell, looks a good car.
I take it that it is pretty much the Honda design they were working so hard on last year, but modified for the Mercedes Engine?.
Interesting choice for gearbox as well....Plenty of room on all that white paint for some Emirates logo's......

Regards

Alan

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Russell
Seems strange to see a brawn car without the HB decals

Cheers tony

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alan, unfortunately, Emirates won't be a sponsor although the team will be flying with Emirates.

Tony, excellent!

A couple of close up shots:-

A pretty car from someone who learnt his trade building slot car chassis!

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Apparently, the man sent down by Williams to Austin Rover at the start of the Metro 6R4 project to do some measuring up was a young engineer called Brawn.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi guys!

There is a rumour that BR (Petrobras) ex-Williams Sponsor would have an participation on this team. Well, if you look closely at Brawn GP logotype, you can see that the "BR"is not ittallic as the remaining letters.

Hummmm,,,, it was already denied by BR press dept, but, who knows???

Cheers

Ricardo Bifulco

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Ricardo,

Honda were in discussions with both Petrobras and Emirates regarding sponsorship for 2009. When Tokyo abruptly withdrew the Honda team from F1, the discussions ended.

I can't speak for Petrobras but Emirates was approached by BrawnGP while negotiations to buy the team were underway. Unfortunately, at that time there was just too much uncertainty about the future of the team, particularly when Branson entered the frame. It was later established that Virgin weren't in fact serious and Branson was merely using it at as PR opportunity. By then it was too late for Emirates, who had finalised it's sponsorship portfolio for the year.

I sincerely hope that Petrobras do get involved with BrawnGP. Not many people realise that Petrobras is the world's sixth biggest company and they could benefit from the exposure.

I've attached a picture of 'what might of been'.

The good thing though is that BrawnGP appear to have dropped Earthdreams! While Simon Fuller won a Green Award for this work and was praised for the initiative by environmentalists, I think that his fantasies are better left to the 'pop' world.

With kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
6 Posts
Russell why am I hearing Pepsi as a possible sponsor with basically a discounted ride in 2009 and should the team perform to some level coming on board in 2010 as a fully paid up sponsor of Brawn

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
By 'Silverstone' I beleive we are talking about the minor infield (southern?) cricuit after watching some phone video footage from a colleague of mine at BGP.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Button quickest in testing at Barcelona this morning. Probably running on veeeery low fuel levels, but completed 38 laps so a very impressive performance.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's early days yet but that's a mighty impressive performance from BRAWNgp -- Jenson's time of 1:21.140 compares favourably with Kimi's quickest time of 1:20.649 set during practice for last year's Spanish GP. He is running with 50kg ballast, as most of the teams are. 30 trouble free laps so far...

BWin are a possible sponsor.

With kind regards,

Russell

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Day 2 of testing at Barcelona and another mighty performance by BRAWNgp, with Rubens behind wheel today. 111 relatively trouble free laps and third quickest time. Slower than Kimi and Nakajima (just!) but a full second faster than Kovalainen's McLaren. Of course, its difficult to judge from testing just how competitive any of the teams are but it does seem as if BRAWNgp are on the pace.

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Day 3 with Jenson behind the wheel. Ran the car for a full Grand Prix distance, completely trouble free. Set fastest time, a full second quicker than Massa. No doubt though, Ferrari will do another 'media lap' before testing ends this evening!

1. J. Button Brawn GP BGP 001 1:19.127
2. F. Massa Ferrari F60 1:20.168 +1.041
3. T. Glock Toyota TF109 1:20.410 +1.283
4. F. Alonso Renault R29 1:20.863 +1.736
5. S. Vettel Red Bull Racing RB5 1:21.165 +2.038
6. R. Kubica BMW Sauber F1.09 1:21.201 +2.074
7. N. Rosberg Williams FW31 1:21.407 +2.280
8. G. Fisichella Force India VJM-02 1:21.545 +2.418
9. S. Buemi Toro Rosso STR4 1:21.569 +2.442
10.L. Hamilton McLaren MP4-24 1:21.657 +2.530

Kind regards,

Russell

·
.. Leo A Capaldi ..
2,482 Posts
Hello Russell,
The teams will be trying out different settings to dis/prove theories. So the test session times don't really provide a robust comparison. Fuel load variances, tyre specifications and such need to be considered before drawing any conclusions.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've been a Button fan since I really got into F1 about 5-6 years ago. When he had that breakthough performance in '06 I thought there was more to come. Yes, there was a little luck involved, but only the great racers are able to seize upon luck when it comes their way.

Unfortunately, we all know what's happened since. I really thought he might be able to put something special together in '08. I figured his smooth style and the removal of traction control would present a winning combination. Wasn't to be.

I'm a little careful about getting excited about the test times, but how could you not be happy as a fan. They have every reason to be behind considering what has happened, yet they're up in the front.

GO BRAWN GP!

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Indeed Col, there is no such thing as a Winter World Championship and as I stated previously, of course its difficult to judge from testing just how competitive any of the teams are. If current form is anything to go by, then Lewis Hamlton would come last in every race and I very much doubt that would happen!

I however know for a fact that Jenson's car wasn't in qualifying trim and carrying a fair amount of fuel when he recorded 1:19.127 yesterday so, if nothing else, it does seem as if BRAWNgp are at least on the pace.

In testing so far this morning, Rubens did a time of 1:19.971 to go second quickest, just behind Nico Rosberg who did a 1:19.774. So again, a good indication that BRAWNgp are on the pace. What amazes me however is just how reliable the car has been, straight out of the box, using an unfamiliar engine coupled to their own gearbox, which was originally designed for a Honda engine.

With kind regards,

Russell

1 - 20 of 107 Posts