SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
I've been enjoying slot cars for over 20 years, but in all that time I have never had a permanent layout. So when Taxi said he was dismantling his Forester's Dream 3 he asked whether I wanted to give his track a new home otherwise it was going off to the rubbish dump, I bit the bullet and said yes.

So here we have a picture of Taxi's FD3 in all its former glory

The main problem I was faced with is a lack of space. Taxi's garage has probably twice the floor space as mine, but on Sunday I popped over to Gloucester with my Dad and loaded up his car with the now dismantled FD3 track. You'll have to keep a look out for any plans Taxi may have for a future track as his garage now has lots of space!!

We got back home unloaded the car and filled my garge with what is now a very large pile of wood. I asked my Dad if I'd bitten off more than I could chew, but he said this would be no problem to get up and going again.

The track is now like a giant jigsaw, the main straight is around 4 metres long, my garage area is only 2.50 metres, but yesterday we made a start getting the track up and running.

We laid the track on the driveway and made a rough plan of what we could dispose of, but we wanted to keep as much of the original track as possible and try to limit any wastage. Once we had the measurements we set about cutting the surplus and getting the track into the garage so that we can start making the frame.

(the bend leading to the main straight)

A new section will need to be routed here so that the 2 sections match

A close fit, but additional routing needed to match the two sections

The first bit of the frame is now made and 'Bolier bend' (this is where the helicopter sat in the original picture) fits nicely following a little trimming, it may be a bit of a squeeze, some extra padding and barriers will needed on the wall, but this one will be a slower bend so shouldn't be a problem. And no storge space is lost as everything now sits under the frame.

My Dad and I had a fun first day, lots of hardwork and several cups of tea, but what looked like a daunting task now doesn't look too bad, largely thanks to my Dad's building expertise. I'll post more updates as we progress.

·
Stuart Wood
352 Posts
Recycle - the possibilities are endless!

Looks like a challenge but should be well worthwhile - that was a very nice track. And I guess once you've assembled the pieces & got power sorted out you're up and running - straight onto the scenics without all the tedious routing, painting, taping etc. - result!

Cheers,
Hunt

·
Registered
151 Posts
Looks great, please post some more pics when it is finished. If anyone wants to get rid of a track PM me would love to buy a ready made track to use while I am building mine!!

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks for the comments
The frame has now been built, though it still looks like a builders yard the track can now be fitted and fixed in place in the next few days.

Not much space by the garage door at the end of the main straight

The main straight is now quite a bit shorter, but at least the corkscrew section has been kept

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
It's fantastic news that you will have a permanent track after a twenty year wait. And the fact that it was Rob's FD3 track proves that good things come to those that wait! I'm excited for you and will look forward to following your progress.

Congratulations

Brad

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Glad to see this one recycled and saved! Can't wait to see it running! Great track.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks for the encouragement, hopefully may be able to get the track down by the weekend, unfortunately going to work is messing up my build schedule.

QUOTE rallyP Posted Yesterday, 09:21 PM
What is that white dwarf you have there on your track?

That's my 959 pencil sharpner.

QUOTE col_de_turini Posted Yesterday, 10:21 PM

This is probably more work than starting from scratch though?

Certainly agree, it involves plenty of work, but I'm enjoying (as is my Dad) the challenge of trying ito get it back together, though in a more compact form to fit it in my garage. Though I think if I had started from scratch another 20 years would have passed and I still wouldn't have a permanent track.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Made some progress over the weekend, 'boiler bend' was fixed into place and the back straight off that section has now been raised by about 5 inches to give the track some elevation (where the Ferraris are pictured in the first post), this also means approx 18" in track length is gained as the 'S' bends section will now go under the back straight to create a simple flyover.

Hopefully, will make more progress tomorrow and if significant progress is made I'll post some more pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
We made very good progress yesterday, the track is now down and fixed in place (quite a relief). Over the next few days it's a case of filling the surplus holes and obsolete slots and routing a new section to link the bends under the flyover, then we can get the track wired up and it'll be ready to run

A few more picture updates

Leading into the chicane section

Up the main staright

...and down the main straight

approaching the flyover

running under and over the flyover

Once the remaining jobs have been done it'll be time to add a bit of scenary and some backscenes to add a little colour and character to my garage

·
Lars Ole
1,640 Posts
Wow, what an excellent transformation, at first I thought that you would have to reroute a lot but it looks like you have made it fit like magic.

it must be like christmas in advance, I guess you must have been a good boy this last year.

chips 'n' dips

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
Looks great Pace! Great to see that Rob's Forrester's Dream gets a renewed lease on life!
I started routing my first track - it will keep the same name as my old Ninco circuit - Woodland Trace Raceway (aka "The Trace"), but is a completely new and much larger layout.
Pics of the work in progress will be forthcoming.
Cheers,
Steve

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys

Whilst waiting for the filler to set some detailing work was added to the flyover and am quite pleased with the brick effect. Also, need to get a better light in my garage as the one I have is pretty poor.

Sacesta, look forward to seeing Woodland Trace when you get started.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The final routing has been done, the last of the copper tape was laid and the track has been wired up. My father and I held our breath as the first car was placed on to the track and the trigger was pressed on the hand controller, it works!!

The test car then completed a slow, cautious and slippery lap on the MDF dust coated track without drama, this was repeated with the other two lanes and they all worked first time.
The track was given a clean and a wipe and it now works really well. Just need to clean the garage before much else can be done, I'm certainly glad most of the routing had already been done as it really is a messy business.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.