SlotForum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There has been some discussion here and elsewhere about whether racing liveries on slot cars should include the tobacco sponsorship.

Here is a brilliant idea for Scalextric to follow up.

The SPORT editions are for adult collectors.

Why not offer the full race livery for limited edition SPORT models only?

That would definitely be a big plus for the SPORT line up!

And leave the crystal editions with the non tabacco livery.

Folk would then have the option of purchasing both livery types if they wanted to.

In fact Scalextric could reissue previous SPORT cars such as the F1 Mclaren and F1 Renault with further limited edition weathered models with the full tobacco livery!

So what do you think?

Adrian, take this idea to the next New Products Committee at the end of February.

You might get a bonus!

Moped

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE The SPORT editions are for adult collectors

Nothing against this idea personally but they are not EXCLUSIVELY for adults and that could be an issue.

My children have quite a few Sport edition cars.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi,

Moped is already a great translator! I put this idea on my site (still in Dutch I know!) during the test of the Renault F1.
The big question is: must a model car looks like the real car?

Smoking is not good, but put also your feet at the ground. Nobody tells you to buy both cars! I want cars like real cars. Most of the food, fuel etc etc on cars I also don't like and are not good as well!

Fly, Vanquish and other put tobacco livery on there cars. Example:
http://www.racebaan.com/gulfracing/ecuador.html

Of course some kids race the Sport version. But the normal Scalextric car is also a very fast car and even a few Euro's (Pounds) cheaper!

No slot cars for kids with tobacco livery? Ok but do you let your children watch TV to the Asian Grand Prix's?

Have fun

Gerard

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I understand your point Gerard.

Personally I would like my cars to be authentic but I would suggest that the promotion of Tobacco products to ANY age group is a sensitive and a much broader issue than just that.

Besides, I don't really see advisory age limits being placed on slot car packaging.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
JohnP go and check some fly and ninco boxes.

the fact is, scalex aim at children with their model range, it is clear to see with the new shape of cars and type of cars, and the chassis.

almost all the cars that scalex have made past year can be seen on normal crappy terrestrial television! scalex are being clever by using itv etc to show the cars, they will then recreate the car to their best.

There are a few people I know that will only buy sport models. I dont know why, just will!

I seriously doubt this idea will go anyfurther than a little bit of thinking in adrians head. stockists will sell anything to anyone!

Rob.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Whilst it is a good idea to offer choice if a company has ethics then I for one will understand. It is how it goes about offering a choice if a company does have ethics. Should a company put a "Smoking Kills" message on the packaging of a car that has tobacco sponsorship livery?

There are a lot of folk who are vegetarians (5-10% of the population?) and it did not stop Scalextric from producing the MacDonalds NASCAR livery.

There is now a trend against Coca-Cola advertising as seen in Scottish schools as obesity is a very big problem and is actually a bigger killer than tobacco. Sweet food is addictive. Drinking Coca-Cola is seen to encourage the wrong type of food education among children. Recently Scalextric have produced an IRL Coca-Cola livery.

The food industry is now being targeted in the USA for the same kind of litigation that the tobacco industry has suffered.

I am very much anti-smoking but where do you draw a line?

It is going to be a big decision for Scalextric very shortly with the new range of MotoGP bikes about to be released. They are designed to appeal to a MotoGP audience that is largely adult. More so than even Formula 1 possibly.

The real issue is that if Scalextric do change their policy then SCX, Carrera and Ninco may well also go in that direction so it then affects the whole "toy" industry. Maybe we should just let the small players Fly and Vanquish MG continue to differentiate their product from the majors with their tobacco liveries and allow the major players to produce products in their own way for the wider audience and turn a blind eye out of respect for their thinking.

At the end of the day the decision has to be about what is in the best interests of the hobby.

Moped

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What legislation?

And if there is legislation how are Fly and Vanquish MG permitted to produce their liveries?

And then you have the die-cast industry that is much bigger than the slot car industry and look at the liveries on cars from that industry.

Moped

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
watching heavan and earth show this morning were on about stopping people from smoking in public places then scalex go and release tobacco liveried cars.

yes moped, but banning meat from the UK would have a devastating effect, also it is scientifically proven that smoking is more dangerous than a bottle of pop!

Rob.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Perhaps we should seek the official line from Scalextric (and others?) on their policy towards Tobacco liveries...

For a company seen as a 'toy' manufacturer by the general public (ie those not into slot cars) it would probably be commercial suicide to openly produce cars with tobacco sponsorship on them. (Can you imagine the bad publicity when, not if, it appears on the front page of the 'Sun' or 'Mirror' newspapers...)

This comes at a time when full size sport is being forced into reducing and eventually ending the invovlement of tobacco companies...

Personally I think it is a brave decision by Scalextric... but hey lets not forget they have produced cars such as the Mclaren F1 car in Sport and Std versions and aren't they sponsored by West.... a cigarette manufacturer...! Remember, many race cars are no longer allowed to show the (tobacco) sponsors name in certain countries anyway (Britain, France, amongst others) and unlike the likes of Fly and the 1/43rd manufacturers models, Scalextric models are not branded as being event specific...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm guessing Fly can get away with tobacco sponsorship on their cars because the laws where the cars are made (spain) might be different.

·
Registered
356 Posts
As a non (never) Smoker and someone who believes smokers must be lacking braincells. I still don't see the fuss about tabbacco liveries. People have the choice to smoke or not it's up to them. Are we really supposed to believe that because someone sees a piece of plastic with a ciggarette manufacturers name on it wizzing around a toy track that they are going to start smoking? (Surely if they can read the advertising then they are driving to slow)
If people are that easily influenced then maybe we shouldn't let them out of their houses or watch TV, Listen to music who knows what those lyrics may mean

I have never so much as taken a drag of a cigarette, yet when i was at an impressionable age *** companies were allowed to advertise.

Wayneslot

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
In Canada, the tobacco industry and the government are bizarre bedfellows. On one hand, the government says "tobacco products are legal and you may make and sell them". On the other hand, they say "but you can't tell anyone you are doing so". What?

The simple reality is that the Canadian government LOVES the tax dollars rolling in from cigarette sales and does not want to see that end. They ban the advertising but implicitly support the product. Canadian sports have suffered greatly by the sponsorship ban against DuMaurier (tennis) and Players and Export A (auto racing). The government spent a fortune on legislation, legal issues, related compensation, unemployment, etc., yet continued to suck the tax dollars from the industry. If you are going to decry something as harmful, and do serious damage to something like our sports infrastructure and those involved with it, then you need to go all the way, not stop when further action will diminish your own revenues.

I remember reading about the dollars involved. Even some health care officials have pointed out that had the government spent the same amount on education, they would have gotten far better results!

I'm a smoker. That's not a good thing. (No argument Wayneslot, there may be some braincells missing) But I didn't start smoking because of advertising and I don't know anyone who did. Peer pressure and ignorance are the primary reasons. I DO know that my government spends virtually none of its tobacco tax dollars on educating our youth to the dangers.

Removing decals from toy cars is not addressing the problem. Not when you authenticate the industry by continuing to sanction its legality and hold your hand out to grab the tax dollars.

Ooops.... sorry... soapbox rant....

·
Registered
164 Posts
QUOTE but hey lets not forget they have produced cars such as the Mclaren F1 car in Sport and Std versions and aren't they sponsored by West....

My memory must be failing me but don't racing teams have two liveries, one with the gasper ads and an alternate for those venues that won't allow the advertising?

Me, as long as the cars look authentic, I'm happy.

Although the Ducati GP bike looks a bit lame without the Marlbro logo.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts