SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Hi all,

After the relative success of my 1969 917LH's I've decided to embark on another 'platicard' scratchbuild. I going for the Bristol 450 Coupe as ran at the 1954 le mans entered by the Bristol Aeroplane Co. and finishing a respectable 7th, 8th and 9th with No.s 35, 33, and 34 respectivley. I have some pictures of this weird beast but no colour reference. The Betta vac form shell isn't the greatest scale replica but the real car is such an odd shape the scale 'representation' will be good enough for me whizzing around my home cicuit. I would like to get the colour somewhere near right though and any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

When completed I'll post the pics....

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

It was the bumslot and dinky colours that through me and wasn't sure whether it was one of these or BRG. Looking at the later models as in Richards post looks like BRG wil be the colour.

Thanks again
Marlon.

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Marlon.....The only picture I have seen of the Coupe, was one on Patto's site and that is painted a lighter shade of green than BRG. I agree with the others, I would have thought that BRG (whatever colour that is!), would be more correct.
Nice choice of car, I was tempted to try one of these myself.

Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Here's an update on my progress with this plasticard beast,

The body is just about ready for some paint, a scalextric GT40 chassis fits rather nicely underneath, wheels and tyres will be difficult to match though
Regards,
Marlon.

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
QUOTE wheels and tyres will be difficult to match though
Why,what do they look like?Any pics.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This a picture from the VSRN website, vsrnonline Bristol 450

It looks like a five spoke alloy of sorts with the front wheels filled.

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Wow,those look like truck wheels,they must have weighed a tonne.

I have the wheels,and I have a halibrand insert that is sort of close.

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Thanks John...That link is just what I've been looking for as well as Marlon, as I've now got hold of a Lexan shell to complete one of these cars.

Has anybody any idea of the diameter of the wheels used?.......I think I may have some suitable inserts in my spares box , but it all depends on the diameter.

Regards

Alan

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Thanks Marlon....

QUOTE This a picture from the VSRN website, vsrnonline Bristol 450

......and thanks for not pointing out my own shortcomings of not reading the threads properly!.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dinky Toys painted their cars with a loosely controlled selection of colors, none of which would be considered authoritative or accurate.
Nevertheless, in addition to the pale green specimen linked above, Dinky also made a dark green version (which I thought was "true" BRG).
In my imagination, at least, the Bristol 450 coupes were dark green.

Marlon, your model looks excellent.

·
Registered
658 Posts
A short segment of the 1954 LeMans that I had videotaped from Speed Channel has some shots of the Bristol coupe. It is a similar dark green in colour to the Amazing 43 Provence Moulage pics.

Bob S.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts