SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst digging in the things I built long ago box for something suitable for macs race I came across this piece of history. The VIP can motor and adjustable chassis. This was the UK s first venture into the can motor market and came in the for of a constuction kit Although quite well made some how never set the slot racing world on fire with the amount of cheap Jap imports that flode the market back then it stood no chance ..I believe it was only supplied with a porsche carrera 6 body shell which at the time I got this eluded me

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,909 Posts
tx,
I have not seen one either. You lean all the time.

That is, you lean all the time until you fall over...

Boy, this is a new one on me too Graham - thanks for this very historic picture! You could probably drive Malc Parker crazy with this one (ex NSCC editor and VIP expert).

It does kind of look like a strap motor, but can't imagine it performs like one...

No idea what happened to the body? if the motor/chassis was available separately?
Don

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE Just off with me ukelele to lean against the lamp post in case a certain little lady goes by.

Sounds like the easy way out, JP! Uncertain little ladies are more of a challenge!

And.... before BJ says anything, I personally had nothing to do with the apparent "strap-like appearance" of that motor!

Interesting little piece there, Grah!

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
some where in the depths of my filing cabinet I have a revue of the kit If i can find it Ill publish it Vip fitted the porsche body to there standard chassis as well The chassis and motor were available as seperate items I gathered mine over a period of time but as I said the body eludes me

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
Although I was quite involved at the time I don't remember having come across this motor. How well do they perform? Were they in the same class as the Mabuchi's of the time?
alfetta

·
Administrator
9,909 Posts
This is really a rare bird, there's barely a mention of it in the contemporary press. Plus VIP came out with their stock-car set at the same time, and that seems to have gotten more attention.

The only photo I found of this is in the May 67 issue of Model Cars, in the new items from the Brighton toy fair. Just says, VIP Porsche, first of their new series of kits which embody the first British "tin-can" motor. All you can see is the body.

Then I have a catalogue, seems to be dated 1/68, with a full picture of the two scarce VIP kits, the K1 Porsche Carrera and the K2 Ferrari Dino.... with the "high power RX.1000 motor. I've had a VIP Dino, but it had the regular Clubman type open frame motor, so was from the RTR line I assume...
Don

Interesting stuff at Brighton, by the way, the prototype of the Airfix/MRRC 1/24 car, a slotless set from El-Gi of Italy, 1/24 Faller car with a German tin-can motor (everybody's getting on the bandwagon!) and a real cutaway Scalextric 124 Ferrari, with the body sliced neatly down the middle.... what's half of £1,000?

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The can motor revs quite well and runs smooth but lacks brakes I think It may have ballraces ,certainly the axle is made to acept loose ball race like mrrc type athough mine had been replace at some time with scaley bushes,
Don re the german can are you refering to the buhler motor as used by carrera , Philips shavers and nsm Juke boxes? I have a few of those Ill post a pic tommorrow to check

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Graham

Great Stuff. I didn't realise VIP had this type of thing in their inventory, I've never seen one before. Hope you're feeling better.

Regards

Alan

PS Are you sure that is not a Canadian Strap motor?......

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
an intresting reference for old slot motors is the modelcars mor book which was given away with the mag in the 60s it gives a good insight into what was around and has been around over the years

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heres a pic of the Buhler motor I described ealier they came as 3 pole or 5 pole , this one is a 3 pole rewound with 70 turns of 34 swg it performs like a 26d mabuchi. This is the nsm juke box variety the shaver motor was a bit more robust having aluminum brush gear instead if the plastic

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Interesting VIP car, and probably quite rare. I had as Don, only seen the brief story and pic in the old British magazine. Quite a find! Who has a body?

There is a much earlier Buhler motor of identical dimensions to that of the Mabuchi FT16D, and even with an exact copy of the front aluminum bearing housing of the FT16D ball-bearing motor. I kept only a few of my "pre-war" eeer... I mean "pre-US days" slot cars that I used in Yurrup before 1968, and here is a pic of this motor set in the chassis with which the gathered French team, of which I was a part, won the winter 1967-1968 1000km (36 hours!) race in Bad Godesberg, Germany, humiliating the locals and the Swiss, Italian and Dutch teams who made the race:

I have never eaten so many franfurters & fries in my life... that's about the only food they knew.

I have not seen one of these in a long time but i am sure that they are around. This one was rewound by yours truly with Mura "silver" wire but bears the original can color. I believe that the Buhler motor you show is from MUCH later, like 1971 or so, as Fleischmann produced their cars until 1973 as far as I can trace them.
Regards,

Dok Pea

1 - 17 of 17 Posts