SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Slot City
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case anyone has missed it, it looks like there won't be a British Grand Prix next year.

The BRDC couldn't find the £8.9m required for the right to host a Grand Prix, so it has not been included in the provisional list for 2005.

Full story here.

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Have you heard this? After years of threats Bernie has finally pulled the plug on the Norhthants circuit.

Is Silverstone really that bad? What do think.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
China spent quarter of a billion on their circuit, it looks very nice place to go...
Olympic stadiums and football stadiums are state of the art environments to enjoy sport
Quarter of a billion is also apparently the annual spend of each of the top teams on their cars.

I presume the stadiums can make money after spending that sort of money, so Silverstone should spend some serious money modernising, rather than just taking money from punters and laffing as they just about maintain the facilities

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Mod Note
THREE topics on this subject were opened within a minute of each and have been merged only to avoid confusion!

QUOTE Bernie is to talk to ITV's Trevor McDonald on News at Ten, TONITE.
THAT is well worth knowing - thanks!

LATE EDIT
Yet another opening topic on the same subject appeared slightly later than the others, although date/timed a full ten minutes earlier.
Apologies to Jon of Slot City - it must have been stuck in the News section!
Jon's is actually the first 'scoop'!

·
Gary Skipp
6,533 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 30 Sep 2004, 19:13)China spent quarter of a billion on their circuit, it looks very nice place to go...
Yeah, looks very nice but IMO the track design is a pile of poo. Thats what it boils down too, dressing up a crap track with facilities.

I bet my garden could host a grandprix if there were good enough 'facilities'. And I'm not on about the asphalt.

Its a real shame, F1 is now a business, not a sport. For instance, I never knew the promotion company in charge of payign Eccolstone to host the GP payed 90 million just to pull out of the contract.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
From ITV's site:

QUOTE BRITISH GP SET FOR AXE, ADMIT BRDC
Last Updated: Thursday, 30, September, 2004, 17:30

The British Grand Prix will not be included on the provisional calendar for the 2005 season.

British Racing Drivers' Club president Jackie Stewart said on Thursday that he had admitted defeat in his efforts to save the race.

Bernie Ecclestone had set a deadline of this Thursday to find a promoter for the race, even though the provisional 2005 calendar is not due to be finalised until the FIA World Council meets on October 13.

The BRDC, who own Silverstone, had made an offer to Ecclestone to promote the race themselves. But it was understood to have fallen around £2million short of the F1 supremo's valuation.

They are not prepared to go any higher because doing so would mean running the event at a loss.

Stewart said: "We've gone as far as we can in making cutbacks in other areas to be able to afford the Grand Prix because we feel it is very important for the country as a whole.

"The gap between money being asked for (by Formula One) and what we can offer is comparatively small - in single figures of millions - but the amount is unaffordable.

"The British Racing Drivers Club cannot afford the British Grand Prix at any price."

The BRDC had been lobbying the government to step in and make up the shortfall between their offer and Ecclestone's asking price - but without success.

However, it is to be hoped that the news the race will almost certainly be axed could spur ministers into action.

The British-based F1 teams may also step in and do their best to save the race.

So it's not ACTUALLY axed YET...

McLaren

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
QUOTE F1 is now a business, not a sport

for goodness sake - all sport is business! And F1 with expensive state of the art cars, lots of sponsorship and huge televised international coverage has been that for a very long time!

go watch mini grass-track racing if you want something earthy (not knocking it, just saying there are different levels of motor sport).

The government thinks nothing of planning to spend billions on a 1-off olympic stadium and redesigning road access etc etc, maybe this will give them the kick up the ass to work with silverstone to do something fitting for one of the worlds biggest motor sports, and an annual event too.

I do not understand the economics of running a race course, but if other tracks around the world can offer better facilities and lower ticket prices, then it looks like Silverstone is either poorly managed or they are taking the piss out of the people who go there. I do not understand the excuse for not improving the place

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Crying shame but it ain't a level playing field - other races get government support; who do you think paid for that Shanghai circuit?

Silverstone isn't a bad joint but it ain't moved with the times and badly needs revamping.

I reckon we'll have a deal cut to save it. Bernie's just playing his silly little greedy games. I hope.

That said, I'll not stump up again to go and watch an F1 race, not the way it is at the moment. That little short-arse and his mate Max have certainly built up the business but at the expense of the spectacle. Too busy counting the wonger to notice it got carp.

I'd rather watch GTs.

Nice timing by that Arab dude who was on breakfast telly pitching his A1 Series.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
QUOTE Carp Viewing from Temporay stands!
Pay a bit extra for the decent stands then, or find a better spot.

When I went, I was on a day pass, and found an awesome free seat where I could watch the cars as they came out from under the bridge, all the way 'til they went past the pit entrance. I got to see about 20 seconds of each car, each lap.

QUOTE Carp Food Outlets!
I'm sorry to hear that you had to "slum it" by buying burgers and hotdogs... I had no problem with the outlets, you simply have to pick the right time to go and get something to eat and you won't have to queue at all.

QUOTE Carp Parking!
Took me 30 mins to leave at the end of the day, which is less than when I try to leave town on a Saturday. Again, it's all about knowing where to park.

QUOTE Carp Racing!
What can I say? Maybe you should have stayed to see the F1 after the Porsche support race...

QUOTE Blooming expensive!
What do you expect? It's the same at whatever track you go to. That's F1, not Silverstone.

QUOTE 'Its not like it used to be...'......
Maybe you were young to early...

I, for one, would be ashamed to be part of a nation who couldn't run an F1 race. And what track is more qualified than Silverstone in Britain?

McLaren

PS.
in jest....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Shame realy - I was hoping to get my arse ino gear nex year and go to it.

China may have spent £250m on their circuit, but the ame circuit in Briain would cost at least twice as much and would take twice as long to build!

It also sems to cost a ridiculous mount of money to host - how can the likes of Hungary afford to do it?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I understand its cheaper to get a plane ticket and see F1 in europe than to see it at silverstone;

Also - a professional world class venue lets every1 have a good time, not just those in the know like mclaren

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.