SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
McLaren.

I would prefer to spend £600 on a full 3 day weekend in the March enclosure at Goodwood (inc hotel and travel) rather than £400 for the one day at Silver****e.

You get 1st class service, no ques, decent folk, GREAT RACING AND PLAENTY OF IT.

F1 has quite frankly gone to far. Why do you think ITV didnt show live qualifying last Sat at 7am? - Not enough interest to cancel early morning kids TV. Perhaps if we had a decent TV channel doing the right stuff (like Motors TV on Sky Re: BTCC) more people would watch and pay through the gate.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I will rest this case.

Ciao

Neil

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Well, it was my first time there, and I was armed only with the program and map given to me on the gate. Quite frankley, if you couldn't find a decent spot I don't know what you were doing...

There are numerous spots to see a good amount of the track, I just found the best

Parking is probably more about luck then judgement, I just didn't give way on the way out! (joking...) And in all seriousness, it took longer to get out of Spa than it did to get out of Silverstone.

And seriously, have you seen cheap flight deals these days? Ridiculous... Anyway, if you want to fly to Belgium, then the plane ticket would be less than the ticket to get into the track.

McLaren

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Bernie's been sniping at Silverstone, and/or the way it's run, for years, yet keeps saying there has to be a British Grand Prix.

My cynical side says the next headline will be -

Consortium led by Ecclestone (with huge Govt/Lottery/both grant) to buy Silverstone

OR

Consortium led by Ecclestone (with huge Govt/Lottery/both grant) to build new GP track in the UK.

Bung Labour another million quid and he's away!!

Somehow he'll make himself another fortune out of it and the home of the British Grand Prix will be the Ecclestone not Silverstone circuit!!!!

Any takers??

Rob

·
Registered
361 Posts
Its all down to money with Uncle Bernie.

The fact the Silverstone might not have the best pit area has got noithng to do with anything. Look at Monaco, what a mess that is and they don't really have a pit area at all. Spa is another place thats got antiquated pit area and facilities.

Its all down to money and the big bucks for F1 are in Asia. Who pushed for China? Who pushed for Bahrain (sp?) Bernie! Also, Bernie has an interest in some of the track becuase he owns them. Fair enough he's a business man and in roughly his own words he's not looking for the popularity vote.

IMHO he will destroy F1 in this country. I think it stinks that his best bud is Max Mosley who just turns a blind eye to Bernies efforts and if I were a conspiracy type person, I believe that Max and Bernie engineer the fact that F1 dominates the TV over any other formula.

Another point mentioned is government funding. Building a circuit in China costs alot less than doing the same thing here. It would cost an absolute fortune to revamp Silverstone to Bernies wishes and even then he's find a way to not go there as he wants to go to asia to hold on to tabacco sponsorship and he can bleed them dry too.

I think its a shame TBH. I've never been to an F1 race at silverstone but my father and I used to go to club meets regularly when I was a kid.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (ScoobyDriver @ 1 Oct 2004, 09:41)he's find a way to not go there as he wants to go to asia to hold on to tabacco sponsorship and he can bleed them dry too.
Seconded.

I've actually been predicting this for several years with the increasing difficulty of promoting cancer sticks in Europe and the rest of the Developed World. Places like Russia, China, SE Asia seem to be a bit behind on this and look-see they get GPs with loads of *** adverts! I suspect that booze might be the next target and then Bernie will view Europe as even less suited to running a Grand Prix...

It'll all end up like Miss World! Interesting TV programme on last year about how this event is still going but all the First World countries have stopped taking it so it is now a circus going around the THird World in which only Third World entrants win which is why it appears to have dropped off the world's radar. Formula One in about ten years time?

Coop

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Maybe Bernie is in league with the British Drivers Accossiation, and is pretending to drop it in the hope that the government will pump some money into Silverstone and then Bernie will put it back in the calender.

?

Mclaren

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
A point made on the local news tonight.

The shortfall from Silverstone amounts to £3,000,000.

It is estimated by the County of Northampton Council that the F1 race at Silverstone generates £30,000,000 of revenue for businesses in the county.

Duh!

It does not take a genius...

Cheers
Moped

(As an aside £30,000,000 is more than is spent on 1:32 scale slot cars in the UK in the whole of one year. So maybe those folk who won't be spending their money in Northampton next year will be spending some of the money saved on a miniture version of Silverstone to enable them to get their grand prix fix. You had better get them Slotforum servers boosted as I predict 50,000 new members next year!
)

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
IMHO Silverstone and the BRDC have at last got what they deserve.

For years they were content to take the fans' money and give nothing in return. It is only since Bernie has begun to put the pressure on that they have made any improvement to spectator facilities at all. I stopped going to the British GP in 1992 when I finally tired of rip-off prices for inferior entertainment and abysmal infrastructure.

I note that J. Y. Stewart and his cronies are now pleading poverty - do me a favour! Just go and sit in one of the Woodcote Grandstands and look across to the palace that is the BRDC suite - that is where your money went folks.

Silverstone is not the home of British Motorsport - it is a race circuit run for the benefit of BRDC members where the public is tolerated so long as they don't start asking about value for money.

I would suggest Sir Jackie pays a visit to Rockingham Motor Speedway if he wants to see how a modern facility is run. Dearie me, they actually welcome spectators!

Brian

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
I'm only guessing, bit none of you are BRDC members, are you? Well in that case, how come you know so much about the cost structure of the British Grand Prix?

The BRDC are not ripping anyone off and in fact they do more to support British Motor Sport than anyone else. Bernie wants a lot of money for anywhere to stage the race, that's his prerogative. Silverstone can't make it work financially, so not holding the race is the only sensible choice unless you advocate they consciously run themselves into bankruptcy.

If they can't make money from the Grand Prix, which other event do you think might turn a profit for them - all those clubbies and F3 races? No chance. Truth is, motor sport is seriously messed up in the UK because the MSA allowed far too many silly one-make series for too many years.

Maybe Williams, Dennis and others who have made a serious fortune from motor sport might want to under-right the BRDC loss for the Grand Prix. Maybe they already have been for years. That's the point, none of us know enough about what is really going on to comment. Still, hasn't stopped us all slagging of Hornby, Fly etc.

·
Registered
147 Posts
From my personal viewpoint the sooner Bernie moves his circus totally to asia /middle east the better . This will leave all the classic euro circuits for a high profile sportscar championship . Can anybody name another sport which has changed the playing field to suit the players ? .
I still have a Hemingwayesque veiw of motorsports , danger is still a vital ingrediant to
the appeal and with F1 as the pinnacle it should be the most dangerous .
With the advent of the new style "supertrack" the spectacle is that of watching a 100cc
Kart race at Lyden hill . Has anbody noticed the " in car " shots from these tracks looks very like a ten year old video game , totally bland , no horizon and usually only one or two sponsors .
Just another thought but how many celeb,s are going to pay for VIP club passes in Ying Yang Province ?

Richard

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Paddock Club tickets for race day are about £1,500 in Spain rising to £2,300 in the UK. The VIPs don't pay, but sponsors and companies wishing to do a bit of corporate entertaining do. Many guests don't show on the day (easy come, easy go), but Bernie (or in this case Paddy McNally) keeps the money anyway.

Ordinary race goers (where are you the rest of the year?) get a reasonable day's international sporting entertainment if you compare with Wimbledon, etc.

Nothing wrong with it, just good old supply and demand capitalism at work.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Although I basically agree with everything Scott has said, I do have a problem with accepting the increases in ticket prices over the years. In the early-mid 70's, I used to pay $25-30 for a full-blown weekend pass for the Canadian F1 at Mosport, including paddock, garage (!) and pit lane (!) access, grandstands (anywhere on the circuit), etc. Today, at Montreal, a similar pass would set me back somewhere around $600-1000 and I would still not have the full pit lane or garage access that I enjoyed then and I would be restricted to specific grandstands. Yes, I know, times change, but the reality is that I would get less value now and pay 24-33 times as much, an increase far greater than the inflation rate, far greater than my salary has risen, far greater than the value of the spectacle which has actually gone downhill. I am paying for more than just the show. I am now paying to make certain individuals into millionaires and certain others into mega-millionaires.

Wimbledon was always a bit of an elitist experience. F1 used to be accessable to any motorsport enthusiast, regardless of financial standing - not any more. I'll just continue to watch it on TV, as I do now, because I can't justify spending the same amount of cash on a single ticket for a single event that could otherwise pay a month's mortgage or buy 6-15 slot cars.

More than supply and demand is at work. Too much demand (from the wrong side!) and less "supply" than ever. Bernie, Max, and crew have lost sight of what Formula One racing means to the enthusiast and have pursued it from the same perspective as the sponsors - how can I make maximum money from my involvement?

F1 needs sharp people at the helm, I won't ever dispute that. But it doesn't need to suck the market dry of cash until only the richest venues remain. It's a self-defeating philosophy in the long term, and the British GP is just one of several that will fall in the near-term if the trend continues (Canada may well be one of the next). Take a look at CART and IRL to see what happens when money becomes more important than the sport itself. JMO.

Sorry for the lengthy diatribe.... I'm just getting fed up with all top-level sports that are centered solely on money instead of the sport.

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
For me F1 stinks! It's tedious, processional, predictable and poor value for money. Again, for me, Le Mans offers exceptional value not only that, you can walk the Pit Lane, get really close to the cars, even the drivers will, if encountered (not unusual) talk to you.
I realise this is only one Race but the same applies to all the other sports car Races.
But. If you want exceptional racing. Go to a Goodwood Revival meeting. It just doesn't come better.
Alfetta

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ok British GP bashers if you are slagging anything at all about it, then you dont have to go to it do you? However for vast majority of us who do attend, they could hold it next year in school playground and we would still go! I suppose it boils down to how much you wish to see live GP racing!

But what really gets up my whatsit is that Bern is now saying that if the teams would agree to holding 18 races next year, Silverstone could well be back on, BLACKMAIL or what? The new face of commercial terrorism

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
He is also saying that he will accept £7,500,000 now and not the original £9,000,000 requested on the basis of 18 races in the season.

The big point yet to be established though is that no one yet knows how many cars will be racing in each race. There may only be 7 teams!

It seems sharp practice to press for fees from event organisers up front now when it is still uncertain exactly how much entertainment will be on offer.

Moped

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
I think that a visit to the new super Grand Prix circuits such as Shanghai, Bahrain and Dubai -- where the emphasis of the track design is on being able to overtake and first class spectator facilities -- will make you realise why the rather 'rural' Silverstone no longer cuts it as a Grand Prix venue....

I've little doubt however that the British Grand Prix will continue to be held.

Kind regards

Russell

21 - 40 of 58 Posts