SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Just got myself Airfix 1:32 Jaguar E-type and some nice Strombecker classic rims to go with it. In my opinion it would be criminal to paint the E-type with any other colour than British Racing Green. And here´s my problem. What is actually "British Racing Green"? Has anyone got Humbrol or Revell Enamel number that could be described as British Racing Green?

Cheers!

Julius

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I don't think there is a standard colour- every team ran a different shade as far as I can tell, from dark almost blue green to light metallic colours. Unless you are following a particular prortype, I'd just go for a good dark green.

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok! It was just as I thought, no specific green.

Thanks!

Julius

·
Registered
30 Posts
My first poject (still pending) is a Strombecker D Jag body kit that I bought on ebay. I too thought that the only color it should be was BRG. I bought a can of Testor's BRG and sprayed it on the body. It looked almost black. Way too dark I thought. Bought a can of Tamiya. MUCH BETTER

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have read a couple of interviews in the past with people like Stirling Moss & Colin Chapman were they actually mention the fact that everyone has a pre-concieved idea of what is BRG. But, Actually there is no diffinative color, Stirling stated that he had his own favorite wich was lighter than what most people used. I have been curious ever since as to which cars exactly he painted this lighter color so that I could find a picture & match it in the future.

The only color I found called BRG was as you said TOO dark & a metallic, Uuck! I think I switched to Tamiya also!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

Ya, this thread comes up about once a year!

The TeamJags of the early and mid 50s used a BRG that is a very dark almost black green.

BRM, initially used a pale green(ex RAF Duck Egg Green), then went to a very dark, almost black "Brunswick Green".

The Moss's were offended at the GREEN requirement mandated by international rules so that they also used a very pale green, that, again, was probably RAF Duck (cheap surplus stocks).

Coopers used a dark Green that was quite BLUE.

Fate

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi!

Thanks for answers

I tried to search "British Racing Green" thread at Slotforum but found no matches. Are there some other forums that I could check for BRG? Maybe some other key-word for search?

Cheers!

Julius

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
some years ago there was an article in (I think) Motor Sport on the subject of BRG and there was an unbelievable 106 different variations of BRG. Sorry I know thats not very helpful but every colour now has a British Standard number so it should be possible to get that colour mixed if you have that number(s). Try contacting ICI to see if there is a B.S. number for British Racing Green as they are responsible for the majority of paints supplied in England. cheers steve

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
The same debate rages in 1:1 Classic car restoration circles, there are just so many variations. The Healey world, for example has two British racing greens. One called, surprisingly British Racing green and the other called Dark British racing green......

I don't think anyone will agree on a "standard2, for my sins I prefer the Tamiya Racing green.

Regards

Alan

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi!

Maybe I can make a conclusion then: If you have a British racing car that is painted green - it is actually "British Racing Green".
I will use some mid-tone basic green. Not too dark and not too pale. No offence intended but if the Germans had invented BRG it would have been standardized by now.

Cheers!

Julius

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have a look at www.mgcars.org.uk/midgetspriteclub/sprite/spritepaint3.htm and the link AutoColorLibrary on that page. I have a 1:1 Jaguar and MG from the 50's painted GN29. Very nice BRG color.

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi!

JohnP, how about some more pics of that Jag on the cover.

Superb site, MY-911.

AutoColorLibrary

Found out that BRG is regarded (in US?) to be quite dark green. Took some pictures from the site. Copywright to whomever it belongs.

Cheers!

Julius

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
QUOTE (steve francis @ 29 Dec 2004, 21:45)some years ago there was an article in (I think) Motor Sport on the subject of BRG and there was an unbelievable 106 different variations of BRG. Sorry I know thats not very helpful but every colour now has a British Standard number so it should be possible to get that colour mixed if you have that number(s). Try contacting ICI to see if there is a B.S. number for British Racing Green as they are responsible for the majority of paints supplied in England. cheers steve
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Paint" came up on another thread about 1930 Alfa colours by Phil Smith. I have a 1968 Map racing colour book (Motor Racing Team Colours & Markings by John Baxter) which lists all colours with ICI paint numbers. For instance the all over colour of the racing C and D types entered by the works between 1951-1957 was "British Racing Green" (ICI paint reference P030-2539). I think thats a Dark Green but how you find a colour chip or reference to a modern colour I suspect you contact ICI!
Regards Allan

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I came across this site http//inetogether.net/jaguar/paint-brg.php. This site is for restoring E Types Jaguars it lists the various 1:1 paint references for British Racing Green. I hope you have access to these paints in Finland from your local Jaguar dealer?????
Regards Allan

·
Registered
312 Posts
AS mentioned earlier, BRG has never been defined and Makers like Lotus, Jaguar BRM etc produced their own shades. This ALSO applied to the other national colours. There was never a definitive French Racing Blue or an Italian Racing Red or a German Racing Silver !! It was just an early racing protocol that if you came from a particular country, you painted your car a shade of that nominated colour. Some countries teams had more than one colour or different colour bonnets or boots or doors! So don't worry about what is BRG If you are doing a Jag then its jags version you will want. A true match is going to require some mixing. Just to help, below is a link to a Tamiya paint mixing guide some enterprising soul has made up.!! I would be interested to hear if anyone has tried any of them and what the results were!?

Tamiya Paint mixing guide

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.