SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Just got back from London with Tuck and the Phoenix gang. I`m not going to steal thunder from Nuro but just to say I`m glad I went. Scalextric display blew the rest away. Bikes, well they wobble not lean and didn`t stay on. Tim got to sneak a lap in as we were not allowed to play with them They looked great but we visited this stand last after some fast furious digital fun and they seemed very slow.

Scalex digital was great, loads of track time and assistance from Adrian. Used three cars between us, very smooth, mega brakes,lane changing was very,very good even with one car following close behind, It only let the one car change. Very clever how it works and It`s gonna be great for the home racer. Don`t think it will suit a club, too many crashes and offs but early days and maybe running non mag will be better? Superb for those with limited space and I honestly believe it is different enough to be sepearte means of slot racing. Hectic and challenging.

I was knocked out by Scalextric World Sport. Oh my word yes, If that works as demo`d then we are in for a serious treat/kick up the backside ! With pit stops,fuel tyres and weather effects included in the racing quite brilliant. Suit the home and club racer and you get to watch the cars from three different camera positions. At around £70 Adrian informed me.

SCX was fun. The track is great,good grip and lots of chaneover track sections. We managed a 6 car race and tons of practise. The system worked most of the time as my car missed a few changeovers and the cars suffered power surges when change lane was selected. Too many crashes for my liking and marshaling was hectic so issues here for the club racer but as a home racing set yes I reckon it`s great. Lap counting was well tested and did the job, I honestly had no idea where my car or others were in relation to each other.

Carrera? Had a quick go. Not impressed and very noisy. To be fair we gave up early. Revel , nice job of the painted figures, retro period racers are gonna be very happy.

My other highlight was handling the Lister, beautiful. Matt liberated it from the display and all I can say is that the pictures will never do it justice.

Thanks to Adrian and Luca for their time. Nice to meet Matt Tuck and Cambridge Blue.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
To be honest I believe racing two people is even better with digital. I was getting confused with 6 to be honest but enjoyed the two and three car racing we did on Scalex. I also thought , based on that first play, that it was better and more natural to have the chang overs on the curves. We just seemed to avoid each other better and the racing seemed to flow with less crashing. The x shaped cross overs caused a definate point of impact but scalex curved allowed you to change more gently and less impact on the other cars. The impacts on the SCX digital cars will def make a mess of your prized car, very brutal!

I note that Matt is out of bed so I`m sure that he`ll post some cracking pics and add his worthwhile assesments too. I reckon Matt knocked my car off more than anyone else,maybe it was just to get the SCX girls moving mate?

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Rob, Don`t fear there will be plenty of occasions you can humiliate me in the future. The clock thing, think about the hour difference European time mate, I posted at 9.30 and this at 6.55. I just got in from Phoenix. Long day but still feel very excited about yesterday and mulling it over I still stick by my initial thoughts.

Tropi I don`t know why 2 racing is good except that the lane changing on Scalex was so quick you can shut the door on the guy behind and change so quickly , be on the same lane then ...slip into the inside lane matey boy right up your rear and then he has to change lane but you do too and stay in front! I suppose it`s the fact that you are on the same lane that adds it for me and because the changing is so quick it really makes you think ahead. the `two handed Adrian` stance is best. Keep your finger lightly on the change button, you don`t need the brakes (which make you stop instantly!) With digital another bonus is that Scaley cars lights stay on permanent so you can find the car in the dark as long as it is still on the track.

The Lister was a staitc (no motor fitted) but Matt took it out of the box and we had a close look. Very low chassis, a big broad car with the motor mounty arranged similar to the SCX Audi, intended to float. looks even better in the flesh!

· Registered
2,611 Posts
It`s not awkward, that`s a little unfair . After all it takes two hands to drive the real thing? You soon get used to it and I`m sure it will become very natural in time. I had it explained to me by Adrian as the left foot braking and because it was so responsive and light I got into it.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Int, I`ve been trained to drive high speed pursuit and evasion techniques. Got taught by a girl called Jill of 14 Int. Coy. in N. Ireland. I can`t claim to drive well but she was awesome. Taught me J turns,changing gear without coming of the revs and crazy anti-ambush drills that were performed on public roads!!
I still can`t use a PS2 or any of that nonsense but even an old duffer like me can manage the two handed digital hand shake mate

By the way where is the topic on your event today? gutted I had to miss it but lets hear all about it on SF then

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Great revue Nuro. Had to read it a couple of times even after Adrian explained it so well to me on Friday. I was knocked out by the total entertainment aspects of this when viewed up on a big flat screen. fantastic

· Registered
2,611 Posts
He was not interested and when we were there the attendance at the stand was very poor. Contrast this to the Hornby stand . Many thanks to Adrian, I`ve done more than my share of exhibitions and it is very tiring. Helps too if you have people working for you who have experience of the product and love it too. The `suits` at Nico may have had their ties on still but they lost their interest.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Your mission ...should you choose to accept it ? Is to convince Carrera to stop positioning the guide set back and put it up front then they will sell lots more cars over here. I know you know how to make them go but me and Joe public don`t and to be successful a car has to work straight from being out of the box otherwise it sits on a shelf

· Registered
2,611 Posts
AHHHHH me understand now! Well Wankel I`m a qualified and very experienced interogater so you grab him and we`ll have him stripped naked and a hessian sack over his head in a flash he`ll talk mate. They always do

· Registered
2,611 Posts
You are welcome any time as are any of the lads. I`m just putting the finishing touches to The Phoenix British GT Drivers Challenge event. Adrian will be up,bit of fun, racing and prizes from Adrian. Hopefully hands on all this new kit and a couple of cars, our Ultima and a BAR F1. More details to follow but you are all very welcome guys

· Registered
2,611 Posts
That`s not true in my case. I said the bikes wobbled,leaned the wrong way and went too slow. Tim actualy `stole` a lap and was unimpressed.

On the Friday that we went the only `crerw` making a big effort were Scalextric. Maybe for that reason and the fact that they did have the best kit on display, we were rightly impressed.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Wankel put your sun glasses back on to hide those green eyes! The boy did a good turn and got rewarded, nice one and fair enough. I doubt questions will be asked in Parliament about it.

Tell you what mate you sort out a visit to race at Phoenix and I`ll make sure you get a pressie! Got an event planned very soon with Adrian. Should give you a chance to play with all the new toys you missed seeing at Toyfar. Now where`s my pressie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.