SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 122 Posts

· Registered
1,332 Posts
Scalextric's old banking blocks wouldn't be far from 10 degrees?

I think the day's of steep banking are gone, due to the majority of models supplied with low clearance and the advent of strong magnets.

· Registered
160 Posts
Nice summary Jonny S, and good to meet you and Tuck so can put a name to another face. I agree it was well worth the visit, and although Scalextric may be a little behind the others with their launch of digital systems it looks as though it will be a winner both pricewise and for compatability with existing gear.

Maybe need a larger button on the Scalextric controls for the lane changeover? Anyone agree on that point?

Also I note you not only have to watch your own car closely but you have to look ahead more as well now to prevent smash ups and hold ups. Will have to get more practise in I reckon in readiness for digital, I think to get the most out of it!

CB

· Registered
1,332 Posts
Jonny S, Cambridge Blue & Astro, particulary enjoyed your feedback regarding the show.

Digital, really like the idea and will no doubt purchase a set, either Scalextric or SCX, interestingly both systems have major pro's and cons.

Trouble is, to be brutally honest, is finding 4-6 people regulary to warrant the expense, as a decent layout would be a priority straightaway.

I spent Xmas, racing Scalextric Circuit 3, it's like owning a performance car & living in (Central) London - no chance to let rip - not wind, better quickly add.

Finally the coverage of this event, is excellent!

Thanks all.

Jamie

· Registered
2,611 Posts
To be honest I believe racing two people is even better with digital. I was getting confused with 6 to be honest but enjoyed the two and three car racing we did on Scalex. I also thought , based on that first play, that it was better and more natural to have the chang overs on the curves. We just seemed to avoid each other better and the racing seemed to flow with less crashing. The x shaped cross overs caused a definate point of impact but scalex curved allowed you to change more gently and less impact on the other cars. The impacts on the SCX digital cars will def make a mess of your prized car, very brutal!

I note that Matt is out of bed so I`m sure that he`ll post some cracking pics and add his worthwhile assesments too. I reckon Matt knocked my car off more than anyone else,maybe it was just to get the SCX girls moving mate?

· Registered
5,404 Posts
QUOTE To be honest I believe racing two people is even better with digital
Er . . . not quite sure why digital or lane changing would be needed . . .
I may be mistaken, but can't we already just about manage two people on standard set ups?

(I probably shouldn't be allowed to post before 11am!)

· Matt Tucker
3,724 Posts
first thanks to Paul for all the driving and John and Phoenix lads for the company - appreciated and really enjoyed it. Hope the magical mystery tour round Northampton was worth it! Met Cambridge Blue and Mossman - again good to put faces to names.

Scalextric have it sewn up even if they are going to be behind SCX and Carrera getting their digital product to market. V impressed with sportsworld and even with the in depth review by Adrain (thanks also for the time you gave us) and the developers it felt we only scratched the surface. What impact it will have - who knows but if it is marketed right it will be big.

We gave the SCX system a good trashing and it was good fun although it requires a very different driving style. Basically if you want to win stay out of trouble. Niggles were had, mainly with having to keep button depressed not just clicked to changeover (and hence missed changeovers) but I'm sure you'd get used to it. I found power surges (well thats my excuse why I kept coming off!). The SCX Spanish guy said that it will be released in June in the UK in a version 2 which he said will iron out some niggles. Only the Spanish will have easy access to version 1. Carerra - not the best display and not impressed with their digital product (lasting memory was the infernal very loud clicking at the cross-over) esp when compared to SCX let alone Scalextric.

I'm saving my write up for GS so other snippets I picked up on will have to wait a bit. Glad I went.

Matt

· Alan Tadd
4,042 Posts
Well Now the "Jolly Boys Tour of London" is over did anyone get a chance to try the new Scalextric Lister?.

I hope it is as good as their MG Lola, and it is the one release this year I will pre-order.

Regards

Alan

PS Congrats to all at the Forum on great coverage of the event.

· Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
550 Posts
It was also good to meet you mtucker666, but the name's "man.............Mo55man"

I too was impressed with the scalex digital, but like Cambridge blue (who'm I gave a lift to) would like to see a larger button for the lane changer. I preferred the button on the SCX system to be perfectly honest. It seemed much more positive. But let's not forget we were only playing with prototypes.

I must also add, that the chap demonstrating it, was impressed with my racing skills. Apart from the fact that I kept nudging him off on the changeovers. Digital certainly adds another dimension to slot car racing. Much more thought is required, as previously mentioned by CB.

Congratulations Hornby on an excellent product.

M

· Jim Moyes
6,526 Posts
Definitely agree with you, Cambridge blue! Couple of times instead of activating the lane changers I hit the brake button making the car stop very suddenly. And the combination of having to look ahead to see which lane the car in front of you is on ( they may change again anyway), glancing down to see which button to press and actually driving your own car was all a bit much for me. But the computer gaming generation will probably have less of a problem with it. I did enjoy the SCX version but to compare is a bit unfair as the Hornby system is definitely far from a finished article. I personally think that non mag would slow the pace down and make the whole lane changing concept more effective.

On the MotoGP- I have to say now that I am not a bike fan- they do look great......standing still! Even with the magnet they have to be driven very slowly round the bends and proceed in a very unrealistic manner. I was surprised how much grip they get though, considering the rear tyre is running on the smooth metal rails.

Mr.M

· Registered
5,404 Posts
Interesting comment about the two button awkwardness - this was raised when the first pics were issued a while back.
QUOTE doubtful wisdom of two buttons and, in those pics, neither of them look too convenient for thumb operation - they seem mounted a little too far back for a natural thumb movement. This probably means two handed driving will be needed, yet their shape doesn't look quite right for a two handed operation. I also see the possibility of hitting the wrong button, which could be quite irritating!
It will be interesting to gather more hands-on info from the hands-on guys.

Still no pics of more than two cars running at once!
Hmmm . . . .

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Rob, Don`t fear there will be plenty of occasions you can humiliate me in the future. The clock thing, think about the hour difference European time mate, I posted at 9.30 and this at 6.55. I just got in from Phoenix. Long day but still feel very excited about yesterday and mulling it over I still stick by my initial thoughts.

Tropi I don`t know why 2 racing is good except that the lane changing on Scalex was so quick you can shut the door on the guy behind and change so quickly , be on the same lane then ...slip into the inside lane matey boy right up your rear and then he has to change lane but you do too and stay in front! I suppose it`s the fact that you are on the same lane that adds it for me and because the changing is so quick it really makes you think ahead. the `two handed Adrian` stance is best. Keep your finger lightly on the change button, you don`t need the brakes (which make you stop instantly!) With digital another bonus is that Scaley cars lights stay on permanent so you can find the car in the dark as long as it is still on the track.

The Lister was a staitc (no motor fitted) but Matt took it out of the box and we had a close look. Very low chassis, a big broad car with the motor mounty arranged similar to the SCX Audi, intended to float. looks even better in the flesh!

· Registered
2,611 Posts
It`s not awkward, that`s a little unfair . After all it takes two hands to drive the real thing? You soon get used to it and I`m sure it will become very natural in time. I had it explained to me by Adrian as the left foot braking and because it was so responsive and light I got into it.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Int, I`ve been trained to drive high speed pursuit and evasion techniques. Got taught by a girl called Jill of 14 Int. Coy. in N. Ireland. I can`t claim to drive well but she was awesome. Taught me J turns,changing gear without coming of the revs and crazy anti-ambush drills that were performed on public roads!!
I still can`t use a PS2 or any of that nonsense but even an old duffer like me can manage the two handed digital hand shake mate

By the way where is the topic on your event today? gutted I had to miss it but lets hear all about it on SF then

41 - 60 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.