SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
500 Posts
I'll be watching this with interest. I never would have guessed that the Scalextric BRM was spot on with respect to scale, but that certainly appears to be the case.

I assembled a P578 last year using a Dave Jones body shell. The tapering of the P578 body behind the cockpit presents some challenges, so I'll look forward to see how it all works out for you.

· Registered
500 Posts
QUOTE (Groomi @ 11 Jan 2012, 13:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I like how the existing steering works (apart from the excessive play), so I'm thinking along the lines of essentially remaking it out of brass with tighter tolerances. It would be good to make it look a bit more like wishbones too and of course to squeeze in shock absorbers (possibly working).

Dave Jones made this wonderful brass steering system for a BRM P578 of his own design that was entered in a proxy race series this past year. I hope that Dave won't mind that I've posted the pictures of the steering system as well as his finished car.. the 1962 stack exhaust model. All I can say, is my hat is off to anyone who can build at this level.. I have more than enough of a challenge soldering static suspension systems.

Good luck with your project.

An avid BRM Fan (no surprise there I suppose).

· Registered
500 Posts
No it isn't ridiculous, with these cars every mm counts!

Here's a picture of the Supershells BRM next to the Dave Jones BRM with comparative measurements:

Supershells Dave Jones
Length 117.0 114.3
Width 26.8 27.0
Depth Cockpit 14.0 14.7
Depth rear cowling 19.3 19.8

As for springs, you might try the spring in a disposable Bic lighter... it makes a nice set of four.

Cheers,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.