SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Whilst on a recent busniness trip to Vegas (yes working honest!) i poped into Rad Trax and bought a few bits and bobs (last few cheap SCX cars!)

One was a Slot Kit (1:32) of a BRM. Took it to the club last night and most thought it was a BRM P67. Done a quick search on the web for a photo and nothing doing.

The kit looks like it could be an MRRC copy.

It's a single seater in green with a small front wing (either side of the front nose).

Does any one have a photo of the real car (so i can build/paint it up) and or a photo of the MRRC car.

The Chassis, motor etc that came with it was brass.

Sorry no photo cos i still can't sort out a photo host!

Gareth

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK found a photo now - on Pendle slot site

Just need a photo of the real thing now.

Who drove it?

Is the orange nose band right?

Race numbers etc, etc.

Thanks

Gareth

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
The orignal didnt have the winglets at the front , the one you have comes out of the modernised mold that mrrc did later Jackie Stewart and Graham Hill were the drivers I have one of the original clubman cars some where in the depths of my collection I think the nose was red but I would have t check to be sure

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Gareth,

Luckily today is modern motoring history class!! and the car was enterd in the 64 British Grand prix, but withdrawn. Driver Richard Attwood and the number was 21. It was later used for hill climbing and is now in the Donnington Collection.
Apparently is was 4 wheel drive - I'll give you a lap start against my Audi!

Link:http://members.madasafish.com/~d_hodgkinson/brm-P67.htm

Jamie

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is a P261. You can find a description and plans of the car on this link:

VSRN

Look for "1965 F1 BRM High Exhaust" in the list. The triangular cut-out in the nose section appeared a little later in the year.

I think the winglets were added simply to breath fresh air into an old slot car model as within a few years most F1 cars would sprout wings of some description. They did a similar thing with their Matra and Eagle designs but they are not prototypical.

P.S. nice job howmet - wish I could paint those white helmet stripes properly!

·
Registered
163 Posts
The Eagle bodyshell also comes in a version with the front wings (molded in red). It also has a molding for a clip in motor under the chassis (rather than the brass chassis I think...)

Weren't these marketed as MRRC plus or something with the rear wings?

Paul

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

these were, indeed, the BRM P261s of 1965 and 66. Racing as 1.5s in 65 and 2.0 in 66 while BRM was trying to get the H16 working. This is the car that is supposedly raced by Garner into the bay at Monaco in "Grand Prix" and the orange nose is correct.

When wings started coming in in 67, many companies added wings to their models to 'modernize' them,not just Airfix/MRRC. I have diecasts with this "feature".

Graham Hill won Monaco in a version of the car in 66 and 67.

Fate

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
A 1964 BRM, similar but without the high exhausts, was also made by Super Shells. Unfortunately I no longer have mine but I do have this 1964 Brabham in the build queue:

These Super Shells models would make nice period stable-mates for the MRRC cars - amongst others there was also a Ferrari and Lotus in the series.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
How do you manage to keep them in their packs, JP? I always rip 'em out straight away for a little play before they go back in the 'in' tray- and inevitably lose some bits in the process. Those Supershells kits are fun- I built the Lotus Elite, it's a real charmer, but you can't get usual paints to stick on the polypropelene(?) plastic. There was mention on the forum a while back about specially formulated paints available in the US. I'd still like to get hold of some if anyone's listening....

By the way, Graham's lid was decorated with a row of white capital Es cut from a spare transfer sheet, laid on their side. I just scraped off the horizontal element after they'd dried out a while. Looks quite convincing even from close to!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi Jamie

I expect that the 126 was a sort of inspiraton. But the size and contours are quite different on this car with a 3 l. engine versus the 1.5 car that MRRC modeled. But all the shapes are really wrong.

One of my regrets is that, at the time, I did not SEE these bodies. I love F1s until they get BIG as the wing/body idea takes over. Anyway, in the 60s, I didn't even see the Super Shells and Airfix bodies. I was in correspondence with english racers, just none of the guys who liked this sort of "minimalist" cars. Since then, I have aquired a bunch, including Charlie Fitzpatric's stuff. Here, our "BRMs" were monsters like the Lindberg and Strombecker. Horrible. Unacceptable. One of the attractions of 1/24s and commercial tracks for me was the EASE of getting the SCALE bodies. And, about 5 minutes after I did, the technology changed and we got "handling bodies". But those scale bodies were so pretty, that I have maintained those old 66 period pro-cars with scale 3l ferraris, BRM P261s and so on. Run them all the time.
Anyway, my current collector buys are mostly involved in getting the MRRC and Ks motors so that I can do ALL my cars from this period. Right now, I only have a few.

Fate

1 - 16 of 16 Posts