SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much going round in circles (no pun intended) I finally got around to making a start on my permanent track.

It took me a while to decide on a track system but I have settled on Carrera for a number of reasons; the track is smooth, has stainless rails and is sensibly priced - even more so when you take into account that it is wide enough to use without additional borders.

All I needed next was a track layout - after trawling the web for weeks and playing with planning software I soon realised I had a bit of a problem - although the room where it is going is quite large I really wanted it to fit against a wall so width was going to be a problem for marshalling so I wanted to see what I could fit onto a 4 foot wide board so started looking for layouts for that size.

More trawling the web and thoughts of real racetracks I had been round made me realise that 4 ft wide was a real big (or should that be small) problem but then I found somewhere I had been round and liked and could be made to fit.

Anyway this is what I came up with and have built on the floor - although simple it seems quite good to me. Who will be the first person to recognise what full size track it is based on.

I have used crossovers for two reasons - the obvious reason is to equalise the track lengths but I also want to see how much trouble they cause - if we cant manage with those how are we going to manage if we go digital later? I placed them on the exits to corners as this seems the safest (ie slowest) places to me.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Looks like a nice fast layout...

but...

Are you gonna work with scenery on your layout?
It will be a little weird where the trackpieces allmost hit eachother... like in the beginning of the Sisley Straight... three trackpieces right nex to eachother...

What do you think? It's not a negative comment, I just want to warn u... once your're started it's hard to chance the thing... I also tried to keep that in imnd while designing my track... I know it's hard with the limitid space... I had problems with it too...

Greetz

Gunther

*curious to see the development pics... as I started building my permanent track last weekend - I allmost finished the framework for the thing - very interested in your progression!*

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
analogue crossovers are worse than digita LCs - because with crossovers, cars are FORCED to crash. With digital, a crash occurs only if the driver DECIDES to cross into the path of his/her opponent!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (JohnP @ 19 Oct 2004, 13:04)QUOTE Who will be the first person to recognise what full size track it is based on.
I'll guess Buckmore Park

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well done John - that didnt take long did it

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
Rob,
This is truly amazing - your track is almost identical to mine (except mine is in Scalexric mix of Classic and Sport). The double hairpins, the loop, everything. I did not base my layout on anything, it just developed over the years dictated by space constraints (long and thin, to eventually fit on 2 of 8 X 4 boards) and wanting a good mix of corners and long straights.
I just guess great minds think alike

Cheers, Isetta.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Argh!!!

Take out that cross over!!! Or at least move it a bit...

That corner coming out of the Esses and onto the main straight is great and should be a place to maximise speed for thr main straight and into the sweeping Conways.

I'd move that cross over to just infront of Hairpin One, so that drivers can try a last minute, late braking manouvre to take their opponent... it' would be much more exciting IMO.

Otherwise the track is great and you have made it extremely well. I particularly like the changing radius corners, as I've only ever driven on one track with this feature and I love it. It makes for a mush more challenging track.

Good job

McLaren

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments so far , Im pretty new to all this so any advice now is a BIG help.

McLaren - I know what you are saying but the placing was 'chosen' to ensure each driver had a go at inside and outside on the 2 larger corners and each have one end where they cant lean on the barriers. I need to get a mate round so I can assess the potential carnage involved.

The changing radius seems to work well - coming off the straight into conways it tightens up as slows you down before you accelerate up to hairpin one. The esses is a very odd bend that tightens before opening out onto the straight, I agree it would be better without the changeover but I feel Im stuck with that.

Hi Isetta - mine too will be one a 4x16 table, same as yours, I cant see many better ways to use that kind of space.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will admit that I do like the idea of some scenery but for me it will be raceability first and looks second. Having said that the main reason I decided to do this was one track, and one person who built it who must take the brunt of the blame ...

MartinT and his Skipsleat International Raceway just blew me away when I first saw it - actually it still does.

I have seen a lot of tracks that really impressed me but the ones that just seem to 'do it' for me are...

Skipsleat that can of course be found on here

Skipsleat

PleasureDome 4 from Slot Academy's Jan Willem

More details on that track here
PleasureDome 4 webpage

and ParkZoom

More Parkzoom pics

·
770 Posts
Rob,
I've never tried to post an image before, so it may not appear
Should be a pic of my track.
I'm with McLaren, you've gotta shift that crossover from the start of the long straight, it will spoil your balace accelerating out of the curve.
I put the Scaley racing curve lane crossovers to replace the X ones, which were too severe for my liking. Does Carrera do similar?
Since this pic, I've developed better borders and etc.
Cheers, Isetta.

·
770 Posts
Ooops, trying again, dang this technology!

Cheers, Isetta.

·
770 Posts
Hey, thanks...so now you got it twice

Old dog, new tricks

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yet again doubt has started to creep in and I wonder if I made the same layout using Scalextric Sport it would allow me the extra space for some scenery as suggested.

I do have a bit of sport track and a lot of Carrera track - I need to decide I suppose before the Carrera Track becomes too second hand and I decide to sell it.

I might play with the layout in sport and see what comes up - I must admit I do prefer the look of the borders and barriers in the Sport system.

Decisions decisions

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
If I were you... I would go for Sport... unless you plan to drive 1/24 later on...

I would take Sport just to have some room to make the circuit look quite realistic... That's important to me... don't know if it's important to you... The frame of my table is ready... this weekend the track will come up there... and now I search pictures and stuff of the real track, just to make some pieces as realistic as possible.

Making the whole thing in scale is of course not possible due to the space... but 90% of the 1:1 turns I can put in my slottrack... You have the luck to make your layout look exactly like the 1:1 thing... You should benefit from that!

If you wonder about the narrow track... you can always widen pieces of the track with mdf... just in the turns that need it... where cars drif... It'm gonna have to do that with my track too...

I'm a Ninco user myself... so I don't promote my own thing here...

That's my opinon!

Cheers

gunther

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I bit the bullet and bought some Sport track and played with some plans and layouts.

I ended up with this that I quite like ...

It is 'inspired' by parkZoom but I have adapted it to fit my space better.

The puple bit is roughly the shape of the tables (or will be) - the corner piece that's missing at the rh end will allow me some access for marshalling.

I will take a few photos of it on the floor later.

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
Rob, I really like the redesigned layout. But I have to say that I was just absolutely blown away by Martin T's Skipsleat Track. Those working pits are awesome. It's got me considering reducing my own Woodland Trace Raceway to bare benchwork and thinking about cutting up some perfectly good track sections.

Thanks for the post.
Steve

1 - 20 of 32 Posts