SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's the Broadspeed-tweaked Mini Cooper with a fastback fibreglass rear end.

I hacked this up from Airfix / MRRC mini bits, and a lot of plastic sheet !

Here it is at the beginning of the surgery -

and here's the end result -

Full build log an a lot more pics here

Cheers !

·
Pete Shepherd
1,694 Posts
That is fantastic, exactly the kind of car I like, easily one of my favourite builds this year!

I see you have also switched your blue Mini to 10" wheels, I seem to remember it was on 13" ones before, the 10's look great on both.

Thanks,

Pete

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All -

Thanks for the encouraging comments - I'm quite happy with the end result too !

MG Mike - no problem if you want to do one as well; it's one of the reasons I try to do as full a build log as possible, in case someone wants to know how I did what and do the same. And you MIGHT like what's next up on my list - a 60's MG Midget and a running companion, an Austin Healey Sprite.

Cheers

RICK

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Very, very nice and neat build. How did you do the window frames (rear side windows)?, they look superb.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Marlon,

'How did you do the window frames (rear side windows)?'

Rather than trying to add a frame by sticking one on or trying to line the inside of the window aperture, I did it a different way.

I cut out solid 30-thou plastic sheet sections to fit the WHOLE rear side window areas of the body ( i.e. glass, frame and bodywork surrounding ).

Then I made a plastic card template the size/shape of the just the rear window itself, to the outside of the frame.

I placed the template on the whole side piece, and scribed round it to get the outer frame shape, and opened up the scribed line into a groove.

Then I punched out the glass area, leaving a rim for the frame, and rounded everything off with fine sandpaper.

The template is good - means that both sides should match as well !

The frame is covered in Bare-metal chrome foil, with a bit of black-wash in to the outer groove to emphasise it a bit.

Cheers !

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Beautiful car, and impressive work! Very nice car!

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Thanks for the info Rick, well worth the effort. It's little touches and attention to detail like that that makes your build look superb

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Excellent job clearly demonstrating your very fine modelling skills. Really like the photo log covering the build.

Regards,
Dave

·
Registered
489 Posts
What a brilliant build, your quility of work is just great. I do have one criticism - Not enough progress shots!!! I would have loved to have seen it a bit more looking all frankenstein.

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Hi there Britfix...

Congrats on an excellent build, it looks great.

Being into Minis myself, you have made a fantastic job on the conversion....

Have a great Christmas and New Year.

All the best.. Martin De'Ath.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts