SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been running a 65' track at a Community Center now for about 6 months- everything is going great! We have big interest, participation of all ages and a core of regulars who have purchased cars and are looking to start a league this fall. The current problem we are having is that the lange changing switches on the controllers are breaking. Hard to describe the mechanism that is failing, other than to say it is a dumb way to get the job done. There is a small C shaped piece of metal that acts as a spring of sorts. This tiny piece is failing and there is no way to repair it. Talked to Carrera USA and they can't get replacements though they are sending us two replacement controllers free of charge!! Maybe customer service is turning around in the US. Anybody have any options for me? Replacement parts from Europe or an aftermarket controller? I hate to think about having to replace $50 controllers every 6 months for the life of the track! Help anybody??

·
Bruce Yingling
1,607 Posts
I had this happen on two of my wireless controllers (identical mechanics to the wired) a couple of years ago. Carrera USA replaced them (I've never had a problem with service from CofA- just a lack of knowledge), but when it happened to the second one, they didn't require me to send the broken unit back.

So I replaced that very weak looking switch with a micro switch. I ordered mine from McMaster-Carr, but I've since bought the same switch at Radio Shack and have one as a spare for the next controller that fails. The micro switch was a very tight fit in the housing and the 'click' is not as pronounced on that controller, but it hasn't failed.

RS part #275-016.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can you give me some guidance on the install? I've done some stuff to boards but not that much. how did you attatch the switch to the board? Unsolder the old one and run wires from the new to the board? Wiring diagram? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Bruce Yingling
1,607 Posts
I'm not at home today or tonight, I'll try to remember tomorrow to open it up and take some pictures. I ran wires from the new switch to the board. I had to experiment with the wires. When I ordered the original switch from McMaster Carr I ordered one normally open and one normally closed. I believe I eventually used the one that was normally closed- which surprised me. The Radio Shack switch is a double throw, so it can be used as either NC or NO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.