SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

Just wondering what people will be building for the Invitation race event and thought I'd start the ball rolling by posting a few images of my efforts so far. The subject is based on the Riley Brooklands that won the 1932 Brooklands 1000 mile race, driven by Australian Joan Richmond and Elsie 'Bill' Wisdom from Britain - winners of the first ever long distance event in England. Beacuse of noise restrictions at Brooklands the race was run over 2 days (competitors cars had to be parked up over night), but they covered 1046 miles at an average speed of 84.41 mph to claim an historic victory.

I've used one of Dave Sykes bodyshells and have attempted to achieve as good a representation of the car I can, given there is limted information picture wise. However, the curators at the Brooklands museum have been extremely helpful during the build process. I now have to get on with the finer detailing and will post more pictures as it progesses.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Alfetta.

Yes, the rears still need to be trued into correct size & shape. There is still lots to finish off. I think this is one of the toughest ones I've built - everything has to be so tiny and my eyes just aint what they used to be..!

Dave

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Hi Dave,
Very interesting subject matter, nice to see one of our better modellers trying something a little different.
I look foward to some progress reports and of course pictures. My effort is a slightly revised Delage 1.5 litre from 1927, one I first built for Wolves pre war event last year.
Cheers Bill.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Hi Dave,

Its looking good!
Nice to see one of Dave Sykes bodies being used.I have been a fan of Dave's models for several years now,I like
the way he chooses unusual subjects to do and of course his knowledge of Brooklands cars is excellent.
If you require any pictures of Riley 9's PM me as I took some pics of a couple at the Oulton Park meeting.

Keep the pictures coming.

Cheers

Eric

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Hi Bill, Eric.

Thanks for your comments. Since beginning this project I've really got into the history of events at Brooklands around the early 30s, having a particular interest in anything the Wisdom clan were up to. Women featured especially during the 20s and 30s. When they were eventually granted 'permission' to race, many went on to achieve considerable success - the 1932 1000 miler being one case in point. My humble effort is a long way from complete, but I'm on a mission over the next week or two, so hopefully I'll be posting some updates very shortly!

Joan Richmond & Elsie Wisdom: Brooklands 1932

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Hi Dave,
Distant relatives?
Or maybe direct lineage?
Whatever, it must add a certain interest to investigation.
I am very much of the belief that for our narrow interest field of 'Retro' slot racing, this event is a 'Must do'.
Kind regards Bill.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Bill.

Possibly distant relatives according to a long time eccentric & deceased motor biking obsessed uncle.

I absolutely agree with you Bill - this event just should not be missed. The history of Brooklands is magnificent - and should be regarded as a profoundly important part of British motor racing history - but then I guess we could be accused of preaching to the converted on this particular form. However, if there is anyone browsing who is currently unaware of the fascinating history of what is Brooklands then, take part, or at least get yourself down to Brooklands on August 16th!

I'm currently reading; 'Fast Women - The Drivers Who Changed The Face Of Motor Racing' by John Bullock - fantastic & highly recommended!

Dave

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Dave
Got your pm this morn and maybe inspired me to have a go at posting a picure
Dave sykes does a whole load of bodies that are suitable for this event perhaps you could publish a list and prices and also a contact for folk that want them

Cheers tony

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I have these two in a drawer somewhere!

Tony and/or Bill, do the lead wires at the front of the Bentley infringe the "no visible lead wires" rule, if so some work is required.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Hi Dick,
My first 'Off the record' thoughts on the Bentley lead wires is, give them a coat of mat black and I think you would hardly notice them. Otherwise some M/black card suitably cut just on the underside of the supercharger would cover them completely. Tony may have a different view!
Mike,
Another interesting 'tiddler',
I am impressed! I thought maybe just one or two brave souls might attempt the very small Brooklands models, the majority going for the big outer circuit giants and some the more racy 1.5 litre GP cars.
It looks as if we may get a good cross section of models, which is exactly what we were hoping for.
Kind Regards Bill.

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts

Hi Guys
with steve francis help I think I might have done my first picture on SF
It is of a car I,ve built for brooklands the 1926 Talbot 700 as used by henry segrave to win the 1926 JCC 200 mile race
I suspect the photo qusality isn,t too good but id i am succesfull I,ll try and get some better snaps

Cheers tony

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Hi Tony,
Photo looks fine, but does not do the model justice.
I saw it at Oaklands at the weekend and its a super little car. Tony put a few laps in with it, and it goes remarkably well to.
Regards Bill.

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
oops looks like I still need some further training as 2 of the pictures din,t come out ,hopefully they,ll be on this post

1 - 20 of 191 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.