SlotForum banner

Bruno Senna

5K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  gecko 
#1 ·
I was at Brands Hatch today for the BTCC practice and I knew that Ayrton Senna's nephew, Bruno Senna was going to be racing in the Formula BMW UK Championship and hoped to get a shot of him on the track where Ayrton also made his race debut.

What I didn't expect was to find myself standing next to Ayrton Senna's sister in the paddock while she wished her son well as he got into his car for the first practice session.

To watch Bruno was a little unerving as he bears a strong resemblance to his uncle particularly when he smiled and the way he used expressive hand gestures when making a point. It is a cliche but I felt goose bumps as the very small group of spectators and I watched him putting on his gloves and helmet and smiled at his mother before getting into the cockpit, his mother (sorry I can't remember her name) was very quiet and naturally appeared to have feelings of pride and concern and I really wanted to say something to her but I didn't want to intrude.

This was one of those very rare magical moments that you experience at a race meeting. I took a few pictures which I'll post when I get them processed.

David

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi David

Her name is Viviane Senna Da Silva.

She is the president of the Ayrton Senna Foundation, a charity organisation started by Ayrton Senna before his tragic accident in 1994 and pursued by his close friends and relatives. The Foundation takes care of 2,7 million children and teenagers in need, all over Brazil.

Kind regards

Russell

#9 ·
JohnP - I read your Carlin link, an unfortunate start to his career in the UK.

Fergy - You're right, if he isn't on pole and winning races his useless. If he wins everything he's a little rich kid having it too easy!! We had this conversation at Brands before he took to the track. We can all remember the c...p written about Damon Hill, Paul Stewart, Jacques Villeneuve etc etc.

David

#10 ·
Exactly, David, the followers are never allowed to be the people they are - they must either live in the shadow or forge a name of their own. Either route is incredibly tough, subject to external pressures, and validated only if they in fact exceed their predecessors - a tough goal for people with a name like Hill or Villeneuve!

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
David, I was fortunate to meet Viviane Senna when she addressed the guests at the opening of the Dubai Autodrome in May. We were asked to put our hands in our pockets in aid of the Ayrton Senna Foundation charity, during an auction of collectors items that were donated by the Senna family and other sporting personalities. Up for auction were items such as Ayrton Senna's crash helmets, Tag Heuer Link Senna watches and signed shirts from Brazilian football stars Raul, Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos.

I guess the father and son analogy extends to Jody Scheckter and son Tomas, although both appear to have started their careers in a similar fashion! Jody fortunately matured and went on to win 10 Grand Prix's and a World Championship from 109 Grand Prix starts.

Kind regards

Russell

#12 ·
I'd forgotten the Schekter's yet I've seen them all race.

Jody's brother Ian was overshadowed wasn't he and the two sons have both been supported by Jody in junior formulae in the UK.

The difference with Jody was that he was even tougher on his sons than the press was and effectively terminated the less successful son's career.

I met Jody in the Formula Vauxhall paddock about 4 years ago and he kindly put up with me taking a picture of him with my better half, as we walked out of his garage area Thomas almost ran us all over on one of those motorised scooters they flit about the paddock on.

David

#16 ·
Hi,

If you wanna bump into Bruno, his team, Carling motorsport are based next door to my factory in Aldershot.......they all drink (every
) lunch time in a well known local pub...imagen my surprise a few months back chatting to Bruno about Brazil vs Enlgand football!! (then I worked out who he was!). Doesnt drink though, strickly a 'hills mineral water' man!.

Good looking females always around

If you want to know the pub, it'll cost you a few slot cars....

PS If you want anything signing, I can only ask for you.....

#19 ·
On Sunday saw Bruno Senna race in the Formula BMW at Donnington - in my opinion a bit hot-headed and bags of talent given a chance and a bit of time.

I think in race 2, he was pushed off and had to join the back of the pack, but boy was he motoring and unlike alot of runners off the pace, the leaders just couldn't lap him.

Anyway, there was plenty of action there and some perfect BTCC cars that could use the Scalextric treatment.

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.