1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow.. Is this for real ?

A Buggati C70

BUGATTI C70 HERE

I didn't realise they were so darn expensive ! cough, splutter.. choke.. GULP !

I wonder if he'll take a deposit .. what you think ?

Mmmm ...

C70...C70... ...C70... ...C70... ...C70... ...C70... ...C70... ...C70... ...C70... ...C70... ...C70... ...C70... ...C70... ...C70... ...C70... ...C70... ...C70... ...C70... ...C70... ...C70... ...C70... ...C70... mmm

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
They are expensive - but normally only £3000 expensive. However, as a Bugatti box has never surfaced before, there may be a madman who thinks the box is worth an extra £9000! Always assuming the box is genuine of course - it wouldn't be that difficult to fake an end label.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
£12000 for a Scalextric car? I never knew the Bugatti was that expensive, the last one I saw was at Scale Models for £3500. Anybody know who paid £9000 for one at auction?

We should send the advert to the Chancellor of the Exchequer, to show the economy is stronger then ever!

Matthew

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ade... Ha-ha ..

yeah sure... in your wildest dreams buddie.

Best you sleep on it then... or better still, dig a dirty big hole and bury it... scribble a little treasure map too.

oh..... then the paranoia sets in...

mmmm...... Mein Schatz ( My Treasure )

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow imagine turning up to a race meet with that in your hand..

ok boys... let's race !!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Very nice indeed

I've had a couple of these in my hands.

Last pair where 3500 a piece.

None where ever sold with the original scalextric type box.

They where packaged in a plain card box like say the hong kong cars.

You had to order them from the factory through big department stores and write a note saying you would not return it if it got broke.

Later 80'S factory re issues are now expensive and where mostly all finished off with bts resin parts

Then the resin cars had packaging similar to the auto union or bentley boxes with invented instructions.

A nice car,last one i saw sold for a lot of money but at lot less than this one

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
QUOTE Then the resin cars had packaging similar to the auto union or bentley boxes with invented instructions.

The original Bugatti came with instructions, ours did and these are not fake.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After a rather diligent inspection of both car and box.... & after great pondering, I have come to a rational conclusion that due to the slight deterioration & overall imperfections of the box... notably around the flap, one would presume it quite inorder to expect how does one say....
A reduction in price.
Yes, here- here,

I hereby propose that from this day forth.... this wee blue car go to auction right here at an opening price no more than 50p ...

Place your bids.....

Do I hear 51p ?

Oh yes we have 51p !! from the gent up the back picking his nose whilst wearing a crash helmet.

WE have 55p.... from the lady in the front row .. you are a lady right ?

Do I hear 72p ?
Yup, that's him... the boy in corner busting for a pee.. well done lad, now run, off ya go...

Do I hear 75p Anyone ????

·
Administrator
9,654 Posts
Thanks ****, got a good laugh out of that!

A couple years ago an antique toy dealer had a C70 that he was selling at the antique toy shows, etc. He was asking 5,000 euros. I saw it at two shows, so it didn't sell right away, but I believe it's been sold since then, since I haven't seen it since, but don't know the actual price.

I think Philippe can confirm this, but as far as I know the highest price paid for a vintage slot was $12,500 for a MIB Cox Chaparral 2E, magnesium chassis version. That was at the height of the Japanese economy, when they had lots of disposable income. I don't know if that price was ever confirmed, and it seems the price would be more like $5,000 these days, or about $1,000 for a good used example, without the box...

Don

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Don,
Yes I was informed about the magnesium Chaparrel 2E a few months ago.

So this "Graham Perris" Model C70 I see on E-bay currently is not an original even though only 200 were created ?

ahh... OK, I see now.. the G.P version is a re-issue. There are several up for grabs at Vectis Auctions.

So I'm guessing one has to be quite vigilant when tracking down eaither a Bug C70 or a Mag. Chap 2E. as there are loads of re-issues.

·
redstar
1,575 Posts
Hi,i bought one in the box when they were new at G&G Hobbies here in Houston TX around 1964 ? They had 1 of each of the 4 classic cars.They were displayed on the wall.I saved & over a period of time i bought all 4.Because of the high price compared to US made slot cars & the slower speeds,& poorer handling no one wanted them. At the time i remember they sold for $15 each. Slot cars made in the US were much cheaper. I raced them against the other kids & always lost,but i didnt care because i was racing such fantastic cars. Later all these cars were thrown away( around 1968-69). Still today when i build my museum i prefer the old vintage cars of the teens,20s,30s,& 40s. thanks,Bernard

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hi, regarding crazy prices of slot cars, have a look at

http://www.foroslot.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23661%20" target="_blank"> http://www.foroslot.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23661 </a>

It's a Spanish forum where somebody asserts to have bought a limited edition Fly Ferrari GTO prized at euros 8000. According to him, he was offered another at euros 12000. The car is part of an edition limited (supposedly) to five (yes 5!) cars. They are painted white, with a Vatican badge on the bonnet, and came (couldn't be otherwise!) in a special box. There is a picture there. The point seems to be that one of the (supposed) five cars was given to the Pope during his visit to Spain a couple of years ago.

Some days later, the same guy feels sorry after knowing that another sample changed hands by euros 4.800.

Probably this belongs rather to the study of the human condition rather than to slot cars. I will add no further comment, as all those that come to my mind would probably break the rules of this forum!

·
Registered
57 Posts
hi guys,
have a look at this one it is on the spanish ebay, item 260979292473 i dont know where these people get there prices from take a look at his other items.
and then have a stiff drink

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
QUOTE I think Philippe can confirm this, but as far as I know the highest price paid for a vintage slot was $12,500 for a MIB Cox Chaparral 2E, magnesium chassis version. That was at the height of the Japanese economy, when they had lots of disposable income. I don't know if that price was ever confirmed, and it seems the price would be more like $5,000 these days, or about $1,000 for a good used example, without the box...

Don is correct, actually two of the MIB kits sold, one for $12K (and is now in the LASCM collection) and another for $10K, also in the LASCM collection today. This was in 1998 at the very top of values.
However, not a SINGLE, INTACT kit has been available ever since, and while two or three have been offered and sold, one for $3800.00, the other for $5400.00, they were not at all in the same condition as the aforementioned two examples. While a loose car assembled from the kit is relatively common and will hardly bring a grand today (mostly because 95% were assembled by little barbarians), I have to see yet another intact, pristine kit on eBay and it has been 14 years since the last one.

Actually I believe that the highest ever paid for a slot car (but not at auction) was for a Cox factory prototype of the Ford MK2 with the only real box known to exist, that went to Japan for a cool $19K, with an added unfinished, vacuum formed in white styrene factory prototype body of the Cox Chaparral 2D.

I can see the values of a C70 (obviously not at £12000 as stated, that is a bit ridiculous in a £3500 realistic market) or a Cox Chaparral 2E "Mag" kit (both were TOYS and never pretended to be anything else), but as far as a pretentious "limited edition" of a Popemobile 250 GTO by the world champion of special editions, the Fly boys, that amounts to utter imbecility and delusion and if indeed, a transaction is/has been made, a large financial loss for someone really dumb.
My opinion, but I am trying very hard not to be that stupid with my hard-earned cash and would rather be at the selling end of deals like that...

·
Kitbasher
4,250 Posts
I just lurve someone with a sense of humour, or a sense of the ridiculous!

Does he ever snare a buyer do you think... talk about a fool and his money are soon parted...

·
Phil Smith
2,622 Posts
The box is clearly fake, the label is far to bright for the condition of the box itself,
has this guy not heard of aging paper with a little black tea or coffee!

I'm also not convinced that if this were original if it would have been in this style of box, more likely to have used the larger vintage box.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts