SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
redstar
1,602 Posts
a couple of weeks ago i came across this 1/32 bugatti rail car.the body is carved from a s.e.m.c. kit.it uses a pittman motor with worm gear.the wheels are handmade wire laced.i know the exhaust isnt correct but its well made.i paid 75$ for the car.i found it in a tiny town near austin texas.you just never know.thanks,bernard

·
redstar
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tom,the rod is hollow & has 1 of the wires from the motor going through it to the wiper..its also for looks ? marc,i got it in an antique toy shop during the roundtop trade days.i dont remember the name of the town but it started with a c.i will find the name for you.marc you should contact me & come visit my museum here in houston since you live so close.bernards slotcar museum.there are many more railcars here,around 36 made after world war 2 & around 36 made after world war 2.

·
Administrator
9,910 Posts
That's wonderful Bernard! Looks like a great finish on the body too... Can you tell which Pittman motor that is? Doesn't like like one of the earliest ones, which had slightly different brush gear.

Don

·
Administrator
9,910 Posts
Hi Bernard,

I was just wondering because a lot of the Pittman motors used at the beginning were the DC-60 models, which had the brushes on the other end... This actually looks kind of like a DC195, a small model that evolved into the DC196...

Now, who was rall racing in Texas in 1960 or so? That's a new one on me!

Don

·
redstar
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi don,i know of a fellow here in houston in a wheel chair who after seeing an article in the model maker mag decided to built a rail track.it was built around 1958-59.he & some of his friends raced his rail cars in his home.he changed to a slot track around 1962.he passed away in the 1980s.the cars,track,etc were long gone.thanks,bernard

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
Hi Bernard,
It is sometimes amazing to find such 50-year old machinery in some second-hand store. Nice little car. I remember having one of those kits in the 1960's but I built it as a static, as slot cars were still a bit further down the line. The Bugatti T59 has always been one of my all-time favorite racing cars.
The interesting thing about the car you discovered is its Pittman motor, that would date it from at the very least, 1962, according to the model-train motor company's original involvement in slot car racing. So it shows that rail-racing tracks were still active in some parts of the country at a time where the East and West coasts had already switched to slot.
The wire wheels are especially interesting since they were obviously hand laced, but surprising since the SMEC kit contained not only the "right" wheels, but inserts with the famous radial spokes used by Bugatti. The wheels on the car are also of smaller diameter, possibly due to tire availability... ???
In any case, a fabulous find and a great addition to your museum.

·
Administrator
9,910 Posts
Nice photo Philippe, too bad about the helmet! I'm still in shock from seeing the 100+ Bugattis at the Shlumph museum in Mulhouse...

The motor doesn't date the car at all, at least not untiil we know which one it is! The first dedicated Pittman slot racing motors were indeed from 1962 or probably 1963 (DC196 and DC704), but Pittman train motors were being used for rail cars right from the Kalamazoo club cars in 1956 - mostly the DC60 I believe, that has the brushes behind the arm, on the magnet end...

Don

·
redstar
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
great photo of the buggatti philippe !don you are right, they used pittman motors from trains here in the early years.this could be a later 1962 pittman.there is a website on pittman motors, but it starts with the 1962-63 models.i will try & look up info on the earlier ones & get back.thanks,bernard

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
I believe it to be a DC195, a motor that was issued in 1958 for model trains but in 1962 with the side mounted brush setup, hence my guess as dating the car.
It is of course only a guess...

·
Administrator
9,910 Posts
Hmmm, I only have one US-made rail car, incomplete and without a motor! No help there...

Philippe, I have two versions of the DC195, including a later one with a slightly different bearing, but both have the side brushes - what were the earlier brushes like?

Pittman used a few different brush setups besides the regular spring and fiber insulators, wonder what different that made to the trains...?

You know Bernard, your story of the Houston guy makes me think that lots of hobbyists around the US must have experimented with rail tracks like this, but we have very little trace of what actually happened, and very little remains!

Don

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Guys
There must have been a fair number of rail cars in the USA, Kalamazoo club had so many they were sending them over to england to race !!
I think you are right don ,the motor does look like a pitmann dc195 ,one of the first motors I bought

Cheers tony

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
I believe it to be a DC195, a motor that was issued in 1958 for model trains but in 1962 with the side mounted brush setup, hence my guess as dating the car.
It is of course only a guess...

·
Administrator
9,910 Posts
Here are two Pittman DC195s, first what I think is the older one, then a slightly more modern version. maybe that will help you match them up Bernard. These were supposedly very popular in early slot cars, ca 1962, for lightweight 1/32 cars - good rpm for the time, not a lot of torque!
Don

1 - 17 of 17 Posts