SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started building these cars about 5 years ago, one of those odd tasks folk like me set themselves. Twenty are now spread around the world whilst the balance remain with me, this car being the last, hence the number 25. It was almost finished about a year ago but was plundered for a few parts to finish another car.

There are a few Forum members who are aware of my plans for a racing 'stable', and this is one of the first.

The chassis is my old beaten aluminium type, specifically made for the Airfix kit. Differing slightly from other examples, this particular chassis is somewhat deeper in order to compensate for the rather large hole required in order to accomodate the motor.

The motor is a secondhand SCX from eBay, gears are Scaley, axles HT steel, guide MRRC Clubman (now shaved for Sport track) and the wheels slightly modded Airfix originals. Other parts are P S-T including the driver, a resin casting of a modified Airfix original. The body is pretty well standard with the exception of the tonneau panel, the radiator stoneguard and the absent flyscreen.

Tyres are Scaley Ferrari 375 front and urethane versions of the rear tyres for the same car (Vampire VSTPST 0002-30).
Both tyres are easily stretched to way over the correct size, the Scaley ones having a degree of slipperiness, the Vampires being very sticky indeed.

How does it go?

Testing took place on Sport track with a variety of controllers and as expected, best results were achieved with the 40 ohm MRRC controller. Not I imagine because it was the best, but because I am used to it.

The performance was all I would expect from a car with a 4mm tread width and during intensive testing and racing at the weekend more than held its' own against other cars with a more 'modern' width of tyre. Initial de-slots were simply rectified by adjustment of the braids with the only serious off track moment (hence the lack of screen) almost certainly attributable to lack of an outer border allowing a rear wheel to drop.

It was nice to end the session with the starting handle still present...

Peter.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi Peter,

Again superb work, I'm really jealous on that chassis work
, that's one sample of true craftsmanship

Of course the rest of the car is also nice, and the job on the tyres, perfect.
I also have the same model waiting to be build in the future, your build will definitely be a guide.

Cheers,
Danny

·
re member
4,019 Posts
Thank you Peter.

I like everything about this car....the chassis construction encourages me away from my usual brass bracket,wire rails style.

Regards

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
QUOTE (loosesalute @ 19 Mar 2012, 21:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That`s gorgeous Peter.
The wheels are especially nice. What Airfix car are they from originally?
Cheers,
Kev

An '80s Airfix series 3 kit, ref 03442-9 is my guess Kev, I've got a part built one in my project box. The wheel/tyre combination in that kit is made up from 6 components, all the usual hard plastic.

The car is tiny, so that makes the chassis even more special. Well done Peter!!

Simon

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The wheels come from the later Airfix kit. Plastic quality varied over the years, there seem to be 4 stages of production, the only one which seems bad is the 'Historic Cars' special edition series, they are rubbish. Oddly enough the last ones, with the full picture on the box are made of a highly resilient plastic, though in one or two places the moulding quality is poor. Not as bad as the Alfa though... The best kit to build from is the original blue one, later blue ones were not so good. If the box says 'new', this is the best kit with a good quality plastic and of course the best quality mouldings.

Apart from the outer rim, where the tyres sit, the wheel rims are fully machined. I did a thread on all this a couple of years back.

Whilst I made a number of chassis' this one was a definate one-off, originally intended as a race car, this is how it turned out with a 25% increase in depth. It beats most cars I have fun-wise. Not so fast as many of course, but there is plenty of power in reserve if needed. My ERA is perhaps on par but a little short of weight, the Austin Twin Cam was perhaps as much fun.

Peter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts