SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All

I have decided to convert an Airfix Bugatti Type 35B into a Vintage class slotcar.

So far so good. I am starting with getting the NC1 motor and axle onto a plasti-card sheet, that matches the chassis bottom done first. Proving a little tricky, as there is not a lot of space to work with.

Once the mechanicals are done, I will endeavour to use as much of the remaining kit as possible around this base, and hopefully it will come out lookig like a reasonable car on the track.

Only problem is, I have not been able to convince anyone else at the club to attempt anything similar, so I might be racing by myself - again.

Maybe its because my other current pet project is a twin-engined monster called "Yin & Yang". I have now adopted a pair of the slot.it motor mounts to keep things lined up, so need to test this before trying to make the whole package smaller.

There again, the 16D powered Carrera Bentley did not let them sleep easily either, so maybe they just don't believe I am really building something / anything with an NC 1 in it..

Guess I will just to have to hurry up and show it..

T

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Cool

Here's a picture of the kit for those who don't know what it looks like:

I'm sure you could find people on SF who have or are planning on making cars from this era... Airfix also produce a 1932 2.3L Alfa Romeo kit and a 1930 Bentley which would be nice stable mates for this car.

I'd love to see some of the pics of your twin motor concept. I always like to see interesting chassis

McLaren

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
T

You really would be surprised what you can get away with , motor wise, with these cars.

The answer is all in the chassis, make a decent chassis and you can't go wrong.If you have the room go for NC1 or standard Mabuchi you can use them, if you haven't go for a MotoGP or similar, you will be surprised by the performance.

I've got all these kits on my Project list, plus the others you might like to consider are the Matchbox, Jaguar SS and Aston Ulster , fabulous cars.

Good Luck.

Regards

Alan

PS Pink Kar make some fair wheels for this car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also have recently picked this kit up, seems it may have just been re-released. Wheels and tires are the problem, although the new Scaly Classic GP cars may offer a possibility. Replace the Scaly wheels and tires with proper stuff from BWA/Ortmann, and now you have a set of wheels and tires leftover for the Bug. I think that any of the smaller motors, either the Moto GP, or an equivalent surplus motor should fit, geared high for a softer response. I have the Aston Ulster nearly done with a Pittman 196b driving old Strombecker setscrew rears, and like freewheeling wheels up front spinning on a .062" piano wire axle. Tires will be E&J # 15 rubber. The Bug really wants something much skinnier, so think the new Scaly GP stuff may be right. They look too skinny for a proper GP car, anyway. Hope that the spares become available soon. Hard to justify buying a $50 car just to strip the wheels off it....didn't say I wouldn't, just hard to justify, you see......
I think the best way to guide a small car like this is to use a pin guide. I have been doing these more and more, and see no disadvantage except marshalling is a bit confusing.
I did an article for Model Car Racing Magazine a few issues back ( #13, Jan/feb 2004, pp44-45) on the subject. The condensed version is to shape an acrylic (lucite, plexiglass) block at least 1/4" thick (6mm) to fit under front of the body, and bolt it to the chassis. I suppose that styrene sheet could be laminated together to accomplish the same shape, but I hate to wait for the glue to dry...Drill a .046" (#56) hole vertically (use a drill press if possible to get it really vert) on centerline about 6 to 8mm from front edge, and glue a piece of .047" piano wire to make the pin. Slide a bit of teflon spray tubing over the wire for a slick cushion, and replace it as it wears. Fasten two bits of braid to front of block so they drape down to contact track right on either side of pin. Too much "trail" causes loss of contact as car drifts. Voyla, no monstrous guide shoe spoiling the look of the car on the track. Cheaper, to boot. dan

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just do it!!

I mean it. I have, over the years, done a number of projects like this, including the Alfas you mention.

I started doing cars in '59 and did not meet another slot racer until 63! And, after the boom in the 60s, I commonly had no one to race with. But I ENJOY doing cars I like(won't wait for scaley to do it). I can testify that the car you build will give you more pleasure than ANY car you build for the next race. I have a bunch of cars I take with me to Vegas or whatever that either pre-date compeition for me (an ex rail car I did in 61 with a merit body and a pittman in 1/24), or cars that might have been legal for something decades ago, but are not now.

Elsewhere, the 60s F1 proxy I am running grew into being because of this. I have several 60s F1s(the tiniest most difficult cars in my opinion). In their day, they were briefly legal in a club I was involved with. But that was 35 years ago! Since then, I have kept them running and racing and having a blast. So, when some people saw them, decided to build what they had never done before....we had this Proxy develop. But here is the deal: I have gotten DECADES with my '66 Ferrari.

Racing is not the end all/be all.

Danny is trying to build up F3 cars from the 50s. I think for the same reason.

Fate

·
Registered
74 Posts
I could not agree more with Prof. Fate. Just do it! That phrase, by the way, is a very popular sentiment for t-shirt prose here in the colonies. (Maybe we should have kept that from Bush....)
The worst thing that can happen from going off on tangents is not staying in the mainstream. More of your mates will look at you askance, but it helps to keep them a bit them all a bit put off when it comes time to race..
Right now looking at Morgan (and like models) three wheelers for todays parts wasting project. See inspiration elsewhere in this forum. dw
ps, we missed you this weekend, Prof.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts