SlotForum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts
Discussion starter · #62 ·
Almost there - but I thought that i would post a few shots while waiting for the driver to recover from tapping the hole for the #2 X 1/4" screw that will fasten him to the seat ( Ferrari isn't the only one that can..........)

The body is painted - 3 coats of Floquil "Sky type S" - I know that the Humbrol "Duck Egg Blue" would be more appropriate, it being a British car and all but the redoubtable Prof. Fate has assured me that they are the same color and Floquil is available locally while Humbrol is a 'net purchase with various vendors demanding from $7.50 to $10.00 " S/H" to deliver a $1.49 tin of paint! The exhaust pipes are painted with Humbrol polished steel metallizer - very nice- goes on flat but will burnish to a very convincing mettalic lustre - a few minor details to catch up with but here are the key bits ready for assembly:

The ballast plate is 0.063" brass. As I described earlier, the chassis will "float" between the ballast plate and the body thanks to shouldered nylon bushings.

A close crop is a really harsh way to look at one's handiwork:

One of the details that remains is a bit of Bare Metal Foil on the mirrors - I pulled mine out last night and - no adhesion at all - I didn't realize that the stuff expired until I read a bit in the instructions about keeping it sealed in plastic under refrigeration! The dash is covered with matte metal foil and the instruments as decals made by Virage (France) that I can find only at Slot32.

For comparison:

There are obvious differences in body shape. Based on what I have gleaned from my "Google research" the pictured prototype is the first body and Mac has modelled a later version. I don't put much stock in the color difference. The downloaded photo looks too "warm" to me. Other pictures suggest that the model color is pretty close.

Next time it will be really finished, I promise.

EM

EM
That is looking seriously good! I only hope myeffort will stand muster in such closeup deteil.
I have gone a different path with the chassis. Made mine front engined. Hope it works!!
Alfetta

Your colour choice is great EM! I suppose if you wanted to be deadly accurate you could take your BRM and park it next to the full size one! Who is to say however, that the full size's colour is exactly the same as when it was first painted?

A cracking model!

Mark.

Discussion starter · #65 ·
QUOTE I have gone a different path with the chassis. Made mine front engined. Hope it works!!

A front-engined version of the Pre-Add chassis is on my "to do" list - but I'd love to see how you implemented it - any chance of a picture?

Thanks

EM

I have yet to set up an account to embed pictures onto the forum when I get around to it i shall post pictures. Also have yet to finish this and several other projects. Don't i beg of you start holding your breath just yet.
Alfetta

Coming along very nicely, EM!

Gotta say though... all this cool building happening lately is driving me nuts! I'm almost at the point where I'll buy ANY house just to get started on the track and get back to building again. BRM's.... P68s... T70s.... frustration!

Sorry.... just venting...

Excellent stuff!

Poor excuse Fergy!....Just get on with it.

That is a great looking car EM. The only thing stopping me starting on this series of cars was the rear tyres as I don't have the ability to make my own.
Talking to Mac P last Sunday he can supply the Orttman (Is that how you spell it?),tyres so there is nothing really to stop me now. They won't be a patch on yours but a gridful of these cars should provide some great racing.

I've just got hold of some trailing guides from Bruce Patterson which I think might suit these cars so I think I will order one or two from Mac. The Lancia looks pretty good to me!.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

The guide hole for trailing guides needs to be drilled out to 3/16", there's just enough metal, or as suggested earier in this thread, you might want to add an alternative guide tongue. On some of the shorter wheelbase cars I had to grind away an arc at the front of the main chassis for clearance for the trailing guide.

John

Discussion starter · #73 ·
Wrap -up time! Although there are still a few little bits to look to - Bare Metal Foil for the mirrors - final guide adjustment (the car has not seen the track yet) the project has moved from the workbench to the "ready for Las Vegas" staging area:

A thinner braid should bring the front down when combined with the 0.010" recess of the braid on the Las Vegas tracks but I may still substitute the MRRC guide if I get it re-done in time.

For comparison:

Adding the BRM to the other ~ 1950 GP car in the stable:

I'm hoping to at least make a sandwich of Larry LS' Talbot!

This has been an interesting exercise - the first time in 60 years that I have built a model with someone(s) "looking over my shoulder " as it were.

And now the bottom line:

I probably have about 30 hours in the whole project including perhaps 4 hours invested in pictures, processing and publishing. The biggest single time element of the project was shaping and painting the driver - took seemingly forever with at least 4 re-do's. But I learned a good deal in the process which will make the next round a lot easier.

Adding it up:

Body & Chassis: $60.00 (at current FX)
BWA wheels 13.00 ( 2 Pr)
Rear tires 6.50
Front tires 2.25
Motor 11.75
Gear set 8.00
Guide 2.50
Misc 10.00 (paint, adhesives, wire, brass plate and tube etc)
Total: $114.00

Now, is that expensive for a slot car? - not as I see it:

It works out this way - 30 hours of amusement and relaxation for $114 - that's only $ 3.80/ hour - pretty cheap - and then I get my ego massaged - many thanks for all of the lovely comments and the inspiration - so, after this bargain basement indulgence, I get a nice little slot car for free!

EM

"The night has been long, ditto, ditto my song, and thank goodness they're both of them over" - Iolanthe

Discussion starter · #78 ·
QUOTE I assume you'll be keeping us posted in a similar way as you work through the rest of MacP's catalogue?

Certainly, albeit perhaps not in such detail - The underpinnings of the 4.5 Ferrari have been posted on the "Geddes Joint" thread. Currently underway - a W-125 on a Patto stainless steel chassis - schedule on that is a little uncertain as I am now in my usual "why didn't I start sooner" panic before the early May Las Vegas event with promises to prep at least 3 cars that aren't even started yet! - but , of course, I have most of Mac's newest enroute. He has warned me that the current chassis is too long to fit the later cars but we shall see.

And thanks very much for your kind comments

EM

PS - I have had several conversations with Al Penrose ( Mr. BWA) and I have every reason to believe that tall, narrow wheels such as those needed for the older cars will be forthcoming - and that will greatly simplify things.

super job EM, hope it go,s as well as it looks but you are putting me to shame,when i started these kits i had the grandiose idea of building 1 of each kit, as a runner with super detail ie brake drums full sus details hyraulic lines , the compleat shebang, but with the work load and lifes little lumps and bumps i think the first 1 will be finished in 2089! again great. mp

61 - 80 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.