SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Alan Tadd
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's finished at last!.

My first attempt at a World Proxy car, and it's off to the first round at Chris Briggs's track in New York tomorrow.

The chassis is based on Grahams (Grah1) idea of constructing a "quick build" chassis in PC Board and using the Slot.it range of engine/rear axle mounts.

Now Graham can construct one of these in an afternoon, it took me two weeks.

The chassis is constructed using the no-solder technique, basically because I wanted to try it out, and I had tested the theory on my pretty sick Slot.it Porsche, and it seemed to work well.

PCB is very easy to cut with a Dremmel or similar device and it was a fairly quick operation to produce the rough outline of the chassis I wanted. The Slot.it motor mount, (a sidewinder configuration), easily bolts to the chassis. I used 6 BA nuts and bolts to do this.

The guide holder is again PCB, shaped and glued, (I always use Araldite).

Front wheels are supported on PCB blocks and a brass tube Araldited to the blocks to carry the axle.

Very simple and enough built in flex to not require side pans etc, (well that's the theory).

The body chosen was an OCA Resin Nissan 300ZX, a pretty bland and fairly small car compared to the big DTM Mercs, Commodores and Capri's it will compete with. Under the rules of the Competition you are allowed to add arch (or guard) extensions to cover an overall width of 2.5". This was done using some old rear arches from a Scaley BMW CSL, (sorry Jamie!….it was a ruined shell anyway).
Front arches were scratchbuilt from plasticard. The rear spoiler I found in my spares box, I think originally it came from a Tyrell 6 Wheeler. Body mounting is by way of tube and screw, which I tend to use on all my cars.
I based the car design on some pictures I found on the net of a Nissan 300 that competed in the IMSA race series.

Completed car shown prior to Sealer Coat

Hope someones got a screwdriver

All the rounds with the possible exception of a proposed Swiss round will be run on Routed tracks so I set the car up on my local BRSCA track, a 120' Four lane speed circuit for 1/24th Wing cars. (Great engineering but awful looking thingies)

Typical lap times for a 1/24th Wing Car on this circuit are 5 seconds, and a "production" 1/32 Wing Car will run a 7.5 second lap. My first attempts with my car produced a 12 second best lap!. A little work to do then.

The guys at the track were very helpful (after they stopped laughing) in suggesting improvements, but I don't think I will be using any of their motors as they can cost up to £200 each, a real bargin.

Shaping the front tyres, trimming the braid, adding vast quantities of lead and general fiddling eventually reduced the laptimes to 10 seconds, which I suppose is fair.

After 40 or so laps the car began to slow and I thought I had blown the motor, but on inspection it proved to be one of the Slot.it axle bearings had disintegrated and proceeded to weld itself to the axle!.

I really don't have a lot of luck with Slot.it parts and cars and I hope Scaley hurry up and produce the promised range of upgraded components so that I can use theirs in future.

I doubt if the car will be very competitive with the others taking part in the Competition, but it was great fun building it, and really it's all about taking part.

The specification of the car is as follows:-

Motor Slot.it V12 29K Pendle
Gears Slot.it 11/36 (Thanks for your advice Sean) Pendle
Front Wheels Slot.it light Alloy Get Slotted
Front Tyres Slot.it P1 Get Slotted
Rear Tyres Custom made Piranna Foam (Great work Chas) SCD
Rear Wheels Custom made Light Alloy SCD
Wheel inserts Modified Slot.it Get Slotted
Axels Slot.it 3/32 Pendle
Guide Modified Parma SCD
Braids Soft Copper SCD
Body OCA Ebay !
Decals Nissan/Various Patto's Place.

Overall weight is around 150 grms. (Chris will no doubt want to add even more!).

Thanks must go to Graham and Chris for their help and Guidence.

Regards

Alan

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
The Nissan looks great Alan well done I see youve combined bith of my designs using the slotit mount and the pc board,it should go very well I liik forward to trying it in the UK races perhaps you will acompany it then you can try some of the other cars first hand.Mark Bradwood also has a pc board chassis with a 29 k v12 which was flying at preston last night but topqualifier out of our entries was Mark Robinsons Merc which was about .4 of a sec quicker than the rest of us once I'd sorted his body problem out

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Great job with the Nissan there Alan - I hope it brings you home a trophy or two!

Not being too familiar with proxy races, what happens as regards tuning for each track, repairs and so on? Is that up to you or does the race "host" sort all that out?

Nice photos too by the way

P.S. what's next Alan? brass and piano wire perhaps

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
John the host sorts the cars and trys to get the best out of them in this series ,If you live near Bolton,Preston or Nelson perhaps you can make it to one of the UK rounds as well
Heres a couple more cars
Mark Robinsons merc

Marks car is a Revell easy kit with a brass rod and plate board weighs 141g ,has a cheetah motor 10/36 gears and is absolutly balistic

Mark Brandwoods Opel Calibra scalex body ,pc chassis and v12 29k very easy to drive and weighs 95g , Try this as is befor e adding weight Chris its good ,

These 2 plus my own 2 are in the post to you now Chris.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Hey Alan, great chassis! I'm going to be running a Slot.It motor/axel mount too. I'm still waiting on the carbon fibre to arrive... well, once I order it that is... How about more pictures of your car (inside). I'd like to see how you mounted the front axel and body mounts.

I found a really nice CAD program for free on Download.com called Vector Engineer Quick Tools which has helped me refine my chassis more easily. I have printed out a 1:1 scale version of the chassis and have lined everything up on the print out and it looks like a good layout. It's a really easy to use tool and I'd recommend it to anyone for designing anything, not just slot cars.

I'm also ordering from SCD so it's good to hear that you are pleased with his work. However, I only have a Proslot Evo4 at the moment, which is rated at 30k but I don't know if this is enough. Still deciding whether to go for a Fox or not...

Lotus

·
Alan Tadd
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your response Guys.

John....No way is this car going to win anything!.....Take a look at some of the Competition, and I think Russell is entering a car
I may well start building chassis again in brass and piano wire, I really enjoyed building this one, but I need a decent Jig first of all.

Lotus...No more pics I'm afraid as the car is packed and on route. I really think the best way to mount the front wheels, (which naturally I didn't use), is the method used by Graham and Chris, ie. shoulders. I think they both have details on their respective web sites. I only used blocks of PCB to get the right ground clearance and Araldited the axle tube to the blocks. Very simple and pretty strong, as it took the full impact of a Winged Warrior at about 200mph.
Hope to see you all at Pheonix later in the month.

Regards

Alan

PS Graham I really would like to get to at least one of the UK rounds this year, so I'll see what can be done.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Superb looking 300ZX Beejay!! Best of luck. I took the easy route and obtained a finished bodyshell
from Revell.
Graham, thanks for the photos. I wonder how long the car will stay in that condition. Probably considerably longer than if I drove it in the forthcoming events!

Looking forward to the proxy racing.

Mark.

·
Registered
376 Posts
A cheetah motor ??????? I think you better check the rules again....

" Motors will be production based. they may be Fox,Slot It,Ninco Plafit etc.

The end bell and brushes may be changed and the can may be shortened.But the Armature and magnets MUST be from the same motor."

If the cars are already in the mail I can change the motor out here......

You Brits are always trying to pull a fast one

Chris.......

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Really nice workmanship, Alan!

Chris, I think that the rules do in fact permit a Cheetah...

Motors will be production based. They may be Fox, Slot It, Ninco, Plafit, etc.

Plafit production motors would include the Rabbit, Fox and Cheetah...

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
So I guess we Brits will indeed be pulling fast ones!!....laps that is
Trust the Limeys to think of that

Mind you, power is nothing without control, to quote an old Pirelli slogan.

Mark.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
The reference to Plafit in the Rules was to the Rabbits, Cheetah's were not allowed after some long winded Emails between Graham,Chris and my self. It was Graham who suggested that the motors should be limited to 30,000 revs,while not mentioned in the rules. The Cheetah powered car will be almost undrivable on Chris's and our tracks,especially with 3.6:1 gearing.

Phil

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Looks like we got a mix up here ,If marks car is to much for chris's track then if chris has a fox spare to swap that would be the best bet it is a n easy change marks motor is only soldered in in a couple of places I can put a replace ment in the post tommorow and it will arrive in time ,The cheetah in question is one of the old no hole ones which I think may be rated at around 35 k I have a box full so Ill go and check on the tacho.

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Just put one of these on the dyno 41400rpm There'll be a fox in the post on monday no wonder it set the fastest time on thurday ,it was very drivable though.I got a job lot of these little beasties cheap ,but Mark was the only one to try one ,My fault (save the email next time)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Graham

That is why I thought we linited the motors to Foxs... I think the "Plafit" in the motor area was put there to show you could use a Rabbit or S-can as well as the Slot-it V12s......

I have motors and can change out if needed... That is the problem we have on the samller tracks like mine and the Aussy guys.... The Cheetah just over powers the track and make it VERY hard to drive.. Not something you want in this type of racing...

Chris

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well...we may still be pulling fast laps despite a motor change. I didn't realise about the Cheetah's either, sorry guys I'm still wet behind the ears at this Scalextric racing
oops...slot car racing

On the other hand....41000+ rpm? WOOHOO! Graham I'd like to purchase another one of those motors. I feel the need for another toy coming on.....

Mark.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Mark

not a problem... mistakes happen.... I have the motors in stock at the house... And I can assure you the car will run faster and more consistant with the Fox.. You just can not put together smooth consistant laps with the Cheetah.... ya, you can rip a quick one off, but you spend most of the time fighting the car and putting it back on the track.....

Chris

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I see... Well, as you probably know, the car's shakedown track time was at Slot Tech which is a fast speedway type of track, with no real technical parts to it.

Chris

Mark.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts