SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
LeMans is always a good Milestone, and Because its duration is 24h it dosnt matter that You are on another timescale ;-)

But it was very nice to have a testtrack for painting. Will be intressting to se how You succed!
Thanks for charing with us!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hi All,

Another few weeks have passed and i've been very busy making progress at the track.

Base coats have been applied for both the old road section and the new track section.

I then took some time to start doing some detailing on the track. Mainly patches of newer and older patches of tarmac which have been laid over worn areas on the old road course.

Some road markings were also added, I tried to imitate road markings from le-mans as a guide.

Lanes have been painted (Blue and White) and i have started laying the special tape in the slot recess for braiding - half done so far.

Finally I have also added to long bridge straight so the whole track is now joined up. I have also Pushed a car around the track over the joins to make sure there are no places where the guide is likely to catch and fixed those areas.

I hope to be able to have the lanes finished painted, taped and braided by the weekend before le-mans, Then i can start playing with the elevations to get the heights set.

I have all my electrical goodies except for a direction change switch and will hope to be able to ahve the track up and running maybe two weeks after le-mans.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
QUOTE (4.3 ZOOK @ 1 Jul 2012, 11:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks like it will be a fun track to drive,what type of landscaping are you planning?

Hi Zook,

Truth be told I am still deciding on that. The two options under consideration are rolling french country side, similar to that found at the Magny-Cours track, or something with a bit more of a mountainous / woods setting which would be a blend of Le-mans, Spa and Monza. It could always be a blend of the two, see how i feel as I go.

The track has evolved somewhat since the last update, elevations are largely in place and i have wired one lane and have been turning occasional laps - ran out of tape for the braid laying on the other lane. Also in place is some aluminium screen for the start of the scenary. Sculptamold having just arrived, i hope to make some more progress this coming weekend.

Photo's and video of the first laps to follow shortly.

Cheers,

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hi All,

Again it has been a while since the last update - the track now has both lanes wired and running, scenary too has commenced. I narrowly missed having one lane up in time for the le mans weekend, but had it done over the course of the following week which I was pretty happy with.

Firstly some pics of the elevations which i added, these were done using a 'T' section support which i fastened to the cross beams on the frame and then glued to the track using 'liquid nails' and clamps. I left to cure for two days before removing the clamp so that a strong bond would form. I all it took just over a week for the elevations to be set.

The wiring kit was then installed (courtesy of slot car corner), used several terminal blocks screewed into the frame around the track for power taps in case the track can be expanded one day.

Then it was time to add the braid and finish wiring one lane of the track.

Needless to say i was 'stuck' doing enless laps until i managed to damage one of my favourite cars ( an older slot.it lancia), which tumbled to the ground once to many times causing the wing mirrors to break. Nothing super glue can't fix, but i wasn't happy.

I added some side panels to the edge of the track, using 3mm MDF sheet set at a height roughly 2 to 5 cm above the track. Aluminium fly screen was then stapled from the underside of the track to the top of the side panels in preparation for commencement of scenary. I started at the two hairpins as thats where most of the 'offs' are likely to occur.

I hope this will help keep the cars from launching off the track in future.

More pics to follow....

Cheers,

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hi All,

As promised the more recent photo's from the build.

Jens - thanks for your comment, I have often viewed your builds for inspiration.

To start with I sketched out some hills on the blue background around the circuit, this needed to be done before plastering commenced. The idea was to capture a rolling hillside and also to achieve some depth.

I also recognised through my many laps on the track that cars were likely to come off the track at points where the circuit came right up to the edge of the frame, as such i needed to extend the some areas by about 5-6cm.

Once this was done and with some more mesh in place i commenced painting the hills which i was happy with. I have never really painted much so i was quiet nervious about making a mistake or worse still not living up to my own expectations. Fortunately i am very happy with how it has gone so far.

After the paint had dried a little i used some masking tape and started with the palstering. I am using a product called sculptamould - hard to find but I am very happy with how it works. Its celulose based, drieds hard but with little weight. The drying side is slow as it takes a few days to dry properly but it easy to work with and had been used by others on this forum.

So this is about where things sit today.

Cheers,

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
ZITAT(4.3 ZOOK @ 30 Jul 2012, 18:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...If the plaster area is a little darker than the darkest color on the wall,it should add
even more depth.

...aha! Once more I have learned something new! I love this forum!

@90sF1Kid: Nice Progress!

Regards Jens

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Thanks Zook, Ember & Jens.

I have been an avid reader of all your builds and hope to produce something Which mirrors the quality of your works.

Thanks also for the link Jens - now off to source some suitable 'trees'.

Cheers,

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Hi All,

Time for another update,

@ Dave - thanks for your comments

There's been quite a lot of progress and plenty of pics to share with you.

I finished off sketching and painting the hills in the back ground, also filling in areas between the track and back ground with fly screen and sculptamold.

Once dry it was time to try and find a suitable dirt colour. I started with woodland scenics brown undercoat, but i wasn't a fan as it left the scenary looking like the inside of a new borns daiper- brown and yellow.

Next i tried some modelling paint from vajello, 'brown sand' and 'field brown', they just didnt seem to suit.

Finally i tried a brown earth colour resin, also by Vajello, at first i was sceptical but have since grown to love. Being a resin it chews through the paint brushes, still for $10 one pot should easily cover the whole layout with plenty left over.

As the slots on my track generally follow a racing line there are some areas where a wheel of a car is likely to slide off into the scenary. I therefore decided to make my own curbs by sculpting some of the sculptamold once it had half dried so it formed the desired shape. I'm really pleased with the results and as i had planned to have some curbing from the start i'd specifically choosen colours for the slots which i wanted to use for the curbing. One little trick i found was starting with a generous curb size and then sanding it back to the desired height before painting.

The first bridge section, still deciding how to go about this but generally i now have some ideas and have started putting the first piece in, this will be mainly concrete walls as the race track post dates the older public roads which pass underneath.

The board for the old historical pit complex is now marked out with enough space for three 'garages' or pit stalls if your like and the time keepers / race directors tower. I've slowly been collecting some pictures of older french tracks from the late 60's for inspiration, i only hope it turns out as good as i imagine it.

Finally - my favourtie area at the moment the hair pin decent down to the old public roads. this section is now almost ready for grass but first i will add in some small rock cliff faces as its a narrow drop. I have some molds purchased, but i have heard that the same can be achieved with aluminium foil pressed in the plaster / sculptamold.

That's all for now - hope you like

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I do like! Great work thus far!

I'm one of the big pushers of Sculptamold and simply love working with it. Completely foolproof in my book. Your curbing idea was a good one as well.

The coloring is really coming along, and of course, I'm a big fan of the backdrop painting.

Can't wait to see more!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
@dreinecke

Thanks,

Credit where its due, I first came across sculptamold when viewing your initial build page on your older scallextric track, i followed your new build as well and thought i might try it. Its been very easy to work with and id really recommend it to any one as well.

A bit difficult to source in Australia but i mnagaed to find a stockest interstate who could ship to me at a reasonable price.

@Zook

Glad you like =)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi there,

I've only recently joined up and am still reading my way through the posts and have just spent the last hour or so reading this one. I am in awe of what you are doing, it is inspiring, and I love the banter between a group of you. More info soon, please!

If I can offer a comment, please do not be offended, it is intended to be constructive: you have said that you would like your track to have an old time european feel, your scenery colours place it squarly in your part of the world. As a professional artist I am particularly sensitive to colours, having the official ACO licence I paint Le Mans24Hours images in particular and live only 20minutes from the circuit. The colours around here are much more muted than around you, we almost never see a sky that hue, it is a much cooler blue, the greens also. To get a feel for it, I can only suggest that if you do not already know it by heart watch the Steve McQueen film, especially the first few minutes when he is driving to the circuit in his 911. I can photograph those places today, they are exactly the same, the colours are accurate.

If I can help, I know you are not aiming to recreate Le Mans, but if you need any photos of any part of the track just ask, I was thinking particularly where the permanent circuit joins/leaves the public roads. I go in/on the circuit about once every 10days or so, my own photos go back to 1986, but my archives of original images go back way before the first 24Hours to one of the first races in 1911. Sorry, becoming a bore, but seriously, just ask.

Regards, Ray.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts