SlotForum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Hi Ray,

Welcome to the forum, Thanks for the offer - and don't worry no offence taken, there's some valuable tips in your comments which i can use. Use of lighter hues i'll definietly try to apply as i have recently been doing some work on the underpass sections.

I do watch the movie every now and then for some inspiraton as well as drawing a lot of it from older F1 races on You tube.

On the offer of some pictures - if you have any phots of the old white house building which had 'martini' written across its roof i'd be much appreciative. I'd love to build an older farm house at some point around the track in a similar fashion. The best ones i have found are actually from paintings of the building - maybe some of these are your work?

Regarding the road most certainly welcome to send me some pics as you think are appropriate as i've been think i need to add some weathering / markings around the place but thats probably some way off as i'd like to first get some more of the terrain and in field sorted which relies on construction of the underpasses.

I envy your place in the world, living on the doorstep of a truely magnificant circuit such as le-mans.

Cheers,

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi again,

You said in the first post that you wanted late 80's early 90's feel, so here is a photo of the exit of Indianapolis corner in 1990. I have to say that I'm not too sure where this image comes from but it shows the new tyre walls in blue/yellow, synonymous today with LM, but that the kerbing was still red/white round this part of the circuit, and reamained so for at least another three years and maybe even into 1994, would need to check that one.

Also note how close the barriers were to the track, one of the remarkable things at that time was how narrow it all was.
The 2nd one shows the approach to the same corner today, notice the runoffs also everything is greener, the climate has changed, we get more frequent rain now than 20years ago, it rairly rained from early spring to late September, hence the parched look. So it's amazing really how often the 24H has taken place in the wet! This shot shows the 2nd kink - background - on the run from Mulsanne to Indianapolis and the final one on the approach to Indianapolis itself, out of shot on left. Apologies for the fencing, I was in the spectator area for once, your countryman Mark Webber and Peter Dumbreck are responsable with their synchronised flying display in 1999, right there by the big tree on the right. Incidentally, trees around the circuit are and always have been predominantly pines, very sandy soil. Hence the very dark mass behind.

Final image for today is again from this year and shows close up of the road surface at Arnage corner, hasn't really evolved much in recent years so would be relevant to your build. However, the run off on the outside most certainly is new this year, the barriers used to be virtually on the track edge at this point. The strip of green is artificial grass. Any other day of the year you would have to stop here in this direction or risk a heavy fine from the gendarmes who are often present, patently not the case here!

I will look up photos of White House for you, next time I'm there I'll take a photo as it is today, the buildings are still there. Don't forget White House has not been part of the track since 1971, in 72 they introduced the New Portion as it is still known by the locals, you know it as the Porsche curves, so it probably isn't too relevant to you!

Regards,

Ray.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Love it.

Seeing a studious track build, and a guy with "real world" local knowledge and technical expertise come together to offer advice is one of the real nice things we sometimes get to see in this hobby.
Given my own shortage of scenery skills, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi again,

It has been a while, sorry. Each time I went by the track either 1: I forgot the camera or 2: it was pouring with rain. I finally went by the other day and it was wet but not too much, so here you are, this is White House corner today, and this is the house that had Martini on the roof, it is still essentially the same today. To give an idea of size, I stood up against the door and I would say it about 5ft high, no more, the top of the door lintel was about level with my chin and I'm about 5ft8in.

From what I can see it didn't have the little wall between the house and the road when it was on the trackside, I will try to verify this.

Finally a shot of the road on the approach to this section, it follows much the same line today as then. It also gives you an idea of local vegetation, albeit greener at this time of year!

As for a period image, everybody thinks that they have one, me included, nobody can find anything. If I come up with something I will post it here.

Regards, and good luck with the project, look forward to seeing any progress.

Ray

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Hi Ray,

Thanks so much for the pics. These will be great once I get around to building the house. Of recent much of my time has been taken up with landscaping duties around the house. Work on the track has slowed but not stalled.

I'll post an update following the weekend.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Hey Ray, your track looks immense.... Superb work you have done mate

Some nice looking cars as well.
How does the Porsche 956 Swap Shop hold up against
the 917, I like those cars, and yes a Lancia Martini, are they all Slot.It?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
QUOTE (Marky Mark @ 24 Nov 2012, 17:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey Ray, your track looks immense.... Superb work you have done mate

Some nice looking cars as well.
How does the Porsche 956 Swap Shop hold up against
the 917, I like those cars, and yes a Lancia Martini, are they all Slot.It?

Hi Marky mark,

Slight mix up in the names but I'm happy to accept your compliment, lol.

The Porsche 956 is a great model, the swap shop livery is one of my favourites. I actually haven't run both lanes in anger as yet it's just been all solo driving, but the 917 (NSR) seems a bit quicker. Of course without timing I can't confirm this yet.

The Lancia is also a slot.it of which I'm building up quite a collection, what can I say I'm a sucker for Italian slot cars and anything F1.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Sorry 90s F1 Kid, my bad, I didn't look at the replies properly

I do like the NSR Porsche 917, but I think it will be too quick for my track, as mine is only 9x5.

I am hoping santa is going to visit and bring me the Porsche 956 Swap Shop

61 - 68 of 68 Posts