SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Hi guys...

I'm back... i'm building again!

Since Petit Spa is finished (except for a few details like painting a few new figures and filling up a small rock-piece (but my favo store is closed at the moment, so I have no rocks) I'm busy making my second and third track. I know... it seems a lil' crazy... but that's just the way I am...

Last week I bought a router, 8 big (2.44m x 1.22 x 1.8cm) MDF plates and enough beams to support the mdf's. I had planned to make one big 1/24 track that just fittet my garage. When I layed the plates on the ground... it was clear that I could better make the track on 7 plates in stead of 8. That of course gave me the opportunity to make one "little" test-track.

Saturday I started routing a simple one-laner that could be used as rally stage (with choco-powder and stuff
), named... "Boucles de Spa". It all worked really well, the routing was simpeler than I thought. In the mean time I painted the plate grey and brown. in several layers. Yesterday I layed the coppertape around the track wich was in fact also simpeler than I thougt. I also put the road-markings on the roadway section yesterday.

(too bad I don't have pictures yet, I'll take some tonight!)

Tonight I'm going to put current on the coppertape and testdrive the thing! I hope it works right away! Then I can start putting up some trees and grass!

Well... for this all... Do some of you have experience with heavy use of coppertape? Not that "Boucles de Spa" will be used that much... but I'm still doubting about using coppertape or braids for the 1/24 track! Braids are of course more durable... but also a lot more expensive... and it's way harder to rout out the exact place for the braids (depth en width).

If you guys know anything about it... please let me know...

Regards

Gunther

PS: Photo's and layout graphs will follow later!

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Hi Gunther

Sounds like a place I'd like to be... Sufficient space to build tracks more and more...

I have read reports of tracks using Copper tape pretty seriously with no real major problems.. Frequent racing keeps them un-tarnished, and if you don't "wasH" the track too often with Spirits or Benzeyen, it should lift that easily off a Well enamelled racing surface..

I've built 5 tracks, and the first, a portable 3 laner made in 1998 is still working fine.. But it was in a few people's garages, and not used as frequently as I'd expect.

I think cost savings far out -weight any major problems you'd maybe experience.. And it's easy to repair tape with a little solder if needed..

Give it a go and see what you think..

Regards

Big Al

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some action pics:

An overview picture comes soon... the ones I took were very blurry for some reason... but this way you have a first idea how it looks like at the moment.

This rally track will stay like this for a while... my biggest concern is my (4-laned) 1/24 track with ideal racing lines. To make my big babies go round... damn I love those cars... two examples... completely finished them today:

But Vee8, Petit Spa is race ready, and the rallytrack is also set up for tomorrow... So you can do some testruns... the lap racord is nog 12.00 secs...

G.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Gunther, great looking rally test track, is it going to get scenery eventually?

Hey look, Luf Linkert of Archer Raceway
sent me a curve routing kit when we were setting up Swiss Race Bahn. Up until now we have not used it and are unlikely to until at least next year now so would you like to borrow it?

Luf also has an amazing CD rom on how to route a track.

If you are interested drop me a PM or email mate.

Regards

Allan

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Swiss... Thank you very much for the proposal... but I have Luf's Lexan strip allready at home!

The start date for the big one is next week's friday... I'll hope to show a layout pic here before I start.

Regards

Gunther

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys...

I'm back... after building a new Beemer on 1/24 (see Scratchbuilding) I started the new track and I finished the routing yesterday! It's a four laner of 24 meters a lane! The ideal line thing really looks good! The squeezes are really thight in the hairpins! I can't wait to do the first laps!

DUST DUST *cough cough*

I hope to post photo's tonight!

Regards

Gunther

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, here we are with some pictures of the BIG one... some people are curious about this! Well, I don't think they are very clear... and you can't see the trackdesign very much... but you allready have a clue now...

The enitre track:

Seen from the other side... the 1/24 look kinda small on this track:

Going through the second part of the S! The slower compact is passed by the "six" and the 935!

Same situation, other view:

Going through the last corner before start-finish: The lines come close to the cerbstones: the GT2 forced it's way to the lead, but the 935 comes up strong!

It's all I have fot the moment!

Cheers

G.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Its looking good, Gunther.
Why do you want the lanes to get that cloze in the corners ?
Doesn't it trash and crash more cars than necessary ?

To bad you live to far down EU from Denmark, I would love to have a little vacation and help building that track.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well we are all more real autosport enthousiasts... and that's were our mutual slotracing interest came by... model cars who can be raced. We saw on the internet tracks with ideal lines and squeezes... we were immediately in love with the priciple... more race tacticks... more realism in the way the cars go through corners... to be sure we liked that principe for real... we raced at Yves's track... (the one and only Petit Le Mans...) before I started to rout the whole thing....

We liked the ideal race lines so much... we decided the new track would be entirely like that...

What we also liked... was the fact that there weren't even so much crashes... and when there were crashed... they seemed to be not as hard as here on PEtit Spa...

Well... If you find the time... please be welcome to help! (and to race afterwards ofcourse... some good belgian beers will be cold in the fridge waiting for you!)

Cheers

G.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi... I'm back with some updates of the new track!

The whole surface painted grey. I took grey primer because that's more matt and has more grip:

The race-lines (with only the first layer on, with the second one everything is covered:

Second layer painted... It looks kinda big this way...

I'm busy with the firs MDF-plate now: Painting the curbstones: (the Sierra isn't ready, but here it is just for the pictures)

The red pieces of the curbs painted too:

Can't wait for my first race... the cars are on three different lanes, and they are so close to eachother and close to the A-pex:

The four lanes are "coppertaped":

Greetz!

Gunther

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
Hi Gunther,
The new 1/24 scale track is looking awesome. I like the idea of the 'best lines' through the curves but will be interested to hear how well it works in practice once you begin racing on it.
Best regards,
Steve

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.