SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Here's some new shots. On one set of pit boxes the decals are on, the doors are trimmed, and the only thing left is the decals for the pit box numbers and maybe a few more sponsors.

The Timing/Scoring tower is coming along. I still have to trim out the windows on the back and side of it, add the door, and put up railings all around. The tower has probably been the toughest to do.

Going to bed now!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW,

Any ideas on painting this thing? Latex with a brush or spray on? Thinking if I spray, I use Fleckstone, kind of a multi-colored and textured paint over here in the US.

Any ideas on color? I'm leaning slightly toward a pale yellow. Ok, what's wrong with that?

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Great Work, very impressive structures.

As far as colours go how about white and a contrasting pastel colour?, should look nice in the arid environment your superb layout is set in.

Regards

Alan

PS I'm not really sure what Basswood is, would that be Balsa Wood in the UK?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Basswood is used in guitar building as a cheaper mahogany substitute. I assume this is the wood in question.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Great stuff.

When I paint on wood I give it a coat of PVA to seal the wood and make a nice surface for just about any type of paint. I use car spray cans and would look at grey then dry brush with a lighter grey with white added. You have done a cracking job there, really love looking at pictures like that so more please

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions on the paint. I think I'm leaning toward the white/another light pastel (still thinking yellow) for them.

Basswood is a little heavier than balsa, and not as easy to break. It does cut easily with a good craft knife and a good straight edge.

Mecoprop - no skill here. Just dumb luck and tenacity!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Out of curiosity...

Would anyone be interested in buying these types of pit buildings? I have received a few inquiries into purchasing them.

It would be a six-stall pit row, exactly the same style as mine. The timing tower would be nice, but slightly different, as this one is all-time consuming. I'd have them pre-assembled and painted. There would be no sponsor banners as I don't want any copyright issues. The paint would be light grey on the inside, and either a tan outside, or grey/black Fleckstone. They would also have the doors trimmed in and painted. (That is actually trimmed with wood, not just a painted door).

Pricing TBD, but much cheaper than 6 Scaly pits and the tower.

Let me know.

Thanks!

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
Great looking layout Dreinecke
. Do you intend to add a backdrop around the circuit to finish it off ?

M

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well have you thought of a concrete look, put wood glue all over it and princkly a very fine sand over it and then you can then spray it grey to look like concrete, or spray it what ever colour you like, but you still get the concrete look, or you could smere it with moulding plaster and scrach a brick formation in it and have it look like it's made in brick with what ever colour you like.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Thanks for the painting tip!

The flagman is finally liking his job a bit better - there's railings! No more insurance problems for the track.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks stunning, I have downloaded some plans from the web and will be starting my own building soon. Just one question what are everybody using to build the buildings. Wood paper ????

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Use whatever you are comfortable working with. Balsa, card and paper, once painted look just fine. Plastic sheet too comes out well. Over time I'm sure things will get a bit dusty so if your model is too fragile it might get damaged while cleaning. I used paper and card for my arches.

·
Registered
420 Posts
wow if that is truly your first structure that is amazing, must have taken a while to plan. I especially like the going to bed part lol

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
John,

Thanks! I'm actually fooling around with the railings on the top decks now and designing the stairs. I keep getting off track with other projects though.

I'm also designing a vendor stand at the back of it. I'll post some pics in a few days with the updates.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nuro,

I'm using 1/32nd basswood strips. The wire method I sucked at.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts