SlotForum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow, some members of SlotForum will have their copy of "Built With Passion"
Who will be the first to post their thoughts on the book?

RR

·
John Roche
4,158 Posts
I received mine this morning. I've only had a quick look through it but it looks pretty good to me.

I want to add my congratulations to Jeff as I'm aware of how much hard work has gone into this book. it's interesting to get the different perspectives from all those who have contributed.

John

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I'm away from home at the moment but will return tomorrow and hope the book is waiting for me.

I've then got a couple of days off to enjoy reading it and passing on my thoughts.

David

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I have just received my copy of "Built with Passion" and have spent a wonderful hour or so relaxing with the book as I unwind from work.

The book is an eighty page softbound work, profusely illustrated with hundreds of excellent quality colour photographs and dozens of original black and white pictures of the early days of the rail racing hobby.

The fascinating introduction by Jeff Davies cleverly traces the history and development of the beginnings of motor racing, Land Speed Records and 1920s Brooklands and connects it via the Southport sands and Walkden Fisher to rail racing culminating in the return to Brooklands and the Clubhouse event in 2000.

The book is written in a style that allows you to dip in and out of the various sections making it an ideal reference on the hobby and Jeff appears to have covered every aspect on the subject.

There are sections on the beginnings of the hobby with commercial sets from around the world as well as wonderful examples of original handbuilt masterpieces by early luminaries of the hobby. Jeff also covers the original clubs and tracks in detail, the recent building of a new track, the slot versus rail debate, examples from the best collections of rail cars, chassis design and profiles on anyone who is anyone in the history of rail racing.

Jeff's knowledge and enthusiasm is apparent from the moment you start reading and the book is an invaluable part of the history of rail racing, in my opinion all slot car enthusiasts and model-makers will enjoy the book and should buy a copy.

David

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I second all the above, David. All those lovely car photos are positively inspirational. The whole book is a joy to behold. I have to start work on some obscure 50s racer right away. Once I get this blessed Xylon of the bench.
Might I request a hardback edition for my private reading room? Things tend to go soggy rather quickly in there.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
What about the Bonnier 250F which you mentioned in another thread?

David

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I already, and somewhat rashly, suggested an Alfa Romeo Disco Volante to Rail. He seems to approve the idea, and it's growing on me. The book is already weaving its hypnotic effect... new readers beware!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really want a Alfa Romeo Disco Volante rail car even the car's name has that great ring to it.

I am really pleased every one who has seen the book has loved it, but it is quite possible that their will only be one short production run for this book, which soon will be in Stock with Sean, Chas, Philippe and Platto's in Australia and most other countries.

Best wishes,

Jeff.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I think I saw John Travolta doing the Alfa Romeo Disco Volante in Saturday Night Fever. Whatever, quite fancy a crack at that Jo Bonnier Maser myself - been meaning to re-create the Vic Smeed model since I was about... well, for a long time!

Any more reference pictures perchance?

Btw David, that was an excellent summation of Jeff's book - expresses my feelings exactly

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Thanks Russell, just what I was looking for! OK people, gotta go practice my dance moves: love trains on it's way - don't you know that it's time to get on board.

People all over the world ('round the world, y'all)
Join hands (come on)
Start a love train, love train

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I must need help too, as after reading John's post I have been signing Love Train all morning, which I play in the car with all the other great music from my younger days.

RR, great song John

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Jeff

Just got my copy, thank you very much.

Anyone who has any interest at all in Model racing cars should buy a copy of this book.

What a great read!........The whole thing is put together with a true passion for the subject material.

I love the section on tracks and the recreation of the original Southport track. It must really be something to race these superb cars on that track. Wonderful!.

I also enjoyed the section on the Cunningham CR4 as I have just ordered one of these resin bodies from Scott. It will be for a slot car not a rail car, but who knows that could come later........

Congratulations on a fabulous peice of work.

Regards

Alan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you Alan, Russell should be posting his views any day now.

I really like the Cunningham CR4 bodies and the Cunningham is one of my favourite cars. This car has the only remaining brass rail chassis in the world that is know to exist, this chassis was one of the first American rail cars to be built.

Best wishes,

Jeff

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi

Bringing us back to Rail cars!
.. I want to add my congratulations to Jeff for a lovely book. The pictures are great. A lot of very nice color photos of cars, chassis, etc. His book certainly brings rail cars, rail racing and "the old days" back to life!! Without his dedication and enthusiasm ... we wouldn't have this great collection of pictures and information. By the way, John Moxon's cars are pictured in the book .. do take a look at those .. a real craftsman of the old school!!!

Congratulations Jeff!

all my best

Chuck

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.