SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am keen to make some tyre barriers and want to buy some 1/32 scale tires with tread, not slicks. Any idea where I can buy some without having to pay a fortune?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
If you want bulk then make the yourself. It's very easy, especially if you don't need the best quality. I use a hard A70 compound for from tyres tat sets in just one hour so you coud easily make a few molds and get 8 tyres an hour.

There are companies such as slot track Scenics that sell tyre barriers including all of the connectors for both plastic and wood layouts, in fact I've been sent a set to review so will be putting the link up in te next week i hope.

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
Hi Damo,

I have some of the Slot Track Scenics tyres mentioned by Wraith, and they are fine. They come ready moulded in wall sections with clips for fixing them to the track.

However, I needed some bulk single tyres too, and what I found were packs of '1/32 Kids Globe Farming Silo Cover and 50 (threaded) Tyres'. Right now I don't remember the web shop site, but I got a fair price buying several packs plus some Britains 1/32 small bales. Surf, and you shall find.

Br,
Christian

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Bloody hell, have you seen he postage charge for shipping foam shapes, how on earth do they justify that?

·
Circuit Owner
5,891 Posts
If you need lots of tyre barriers then Wraith's first post in this thread it your best option.

If you have 8 treaded tyres to use to make moulds (or 4 that you can use in two mould making goes) then buying a small amount of silicone mould making material, 500ml of Shore 50 or Shore 70 urethane and a small pot of black pigment will make you 100-200 tyres (depending on size) for under £20.

Don't mix more than 40 grams of urethane (20g of each part of the mix) because it goes off too quickly to pour more than 8-12 tyres at a time (voice of experience).

If you pick treaded tyres from your favourite cars you will also have a cheap and plentiful supply of spares! Use Shore 40 or Shore 50 if you will be putting some on cars. Shore 70 is a bit hard and Shore 20 is too prone to peeling off under hard cornering even when glued.

There's plenty of info on SlotForum on making moulds and it's quite satisfying pulling tyres out of moulds you made yourself. If you make larger numbers it gets even cheaper.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
The setting time is why I limit it to 4 pairs, of course a huge bonus of making tyre walls is that bubbles are not such a problem as the tyres will not be used on cars, I also keep all my failed tyres for when I get a perm track.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought car heater hose for $10 for a meter from auto parts shop. Then cut in to 20cm lengths,threaded it on to a steel rod and spun it in a metal lathe at slow speed. Scraped the teeth of a fine toothed hacksaw along it to cut treads then cut into random tyre widths with knife.
Worked well and gives the look of badly worn tyres which are what you usually see on tyre walls anyway. Gave me enough tyres to do a 4 hi wall 1/2 meter long .

Cheers mike

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome guys! I have had a look at slot track scenics and what they have there is perfect. I'm not so much into saving money as I am into saving time so I'll just buy a bunch from there.

Many thanks,
Damo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts