Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just released from Bumslot - the BS83 Ambulance and the BS82 Motocross team. Both available via your local dealer.

Aaron

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Oh my goodness - just seen the price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had been thinking of adding the moto-cross set as background detailing - since the quality of the models is about that of pound-shop toys, I thought great...

Turns out price-wise Bumslot are more exclusive than Fly special editions!

Well everyone must make up their own mind on whether things are worth what they are charged at.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I could come up with a less than complimentary version of Bumslot, but this is a family forum
Right, pound shop...van...NewRay 1/32 dirt bikes....sorted for less than a fiver, plus if you have some spare slot car mechanicals lying around, then the van is mobile!!

Actaully the Bumslot vans are almost acceptable as a slot vehicle, but their range of cars - I was looking at the GM site last night and...GAAAAACCCKK! I'm sorry, but even my attempts at slot car repaints turn out better looking, IMHO at least.

Mark.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
After more research, I find that BUM slot do some very fine models:

GT Crusader, RRP £69

Renault sport, RRP £61

I think the vans show that BUM slot is entering a new era having taken up the super-fine detail challenge led by Fly, and have achieved new levels of realism and scale acuracy. All this AND reducing the price so the van set has a RRP of only £60

·
Registered
317 Posts
Astro,

Those arn't the actual prices are they? When I first read it, I assumed you were just being ironic.

Other models from these guys retail at about £26, even this is rather steep considering!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
those are the recommended retail prices on Gaugemaster the distributer, can't say what the real world prices are

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Barcelona Universal Models do make quite a range of cars, but I will agree that they are all expansive. However, you are getting a model that has been hand made, is a limited run of 100 worldwide (there are never more than 100 pieces of each one) and they do make some fabulous cars that no other manufacturer would touch - take these two for instance:-

Classic cars for really adventurous racing! the collectors love Bumslot, but I can fully understand why most racers are a little sceptical.

Aaron

·
Registered
998 Posts
If they were a limited edition of 1 they would still have to pay me to take these off their hands! LOL Awful, awful cars!!

Alan

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I would be disappointed if I got that GT Crusader thing free with a Macdonalds Happy Meal.

But £69!! It may be All Fools Day, but the 5 year olds building those things over at BUM definately have a good sense of humour.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Maybe BUM has a list of one hundred collectors who have a goal of buying every release that BUM puts out, and feels like kicking the crud out of them , or needs some fast cash. I can't imagine product like this competing on the open market . It would get killed. Even slot car people aren't generally nutty enough to go for this one.

One of the first defense usually offered for a high priced questionable value product is that it is "hand made" or "limited" production.

As you can feel by my tone, I take exception to this. Normally, I just let it go and wish the seller good luck in finding interested customers, but this time I think I will state some objections.

To me, quality or desirability justifies a price, with the ultimate decision made by the consumer, not product discriptions.

Unless the product's features meet my needs, hand made, limited, no big deal. I hand tie my shoes every day, and eat hand made meals all the time. The change in my pocket is all limited edition. I own some limited edition Scalextric cars, yawn.......

I suspect calling the cars under discussion hand made would be much like calling my shirts hand made because the were sewn together by a person. I could be wrong, but, to me, a production run with a mold doesn't say hand made. Sticking on parts doesn't pass either. Assembled by hand, is not hand made.

I do wish them well with this product. I don't think limited edition or hand made justifies the price of any product. It might effect someone's buying decison according to how they react to hype, but the value of the product is seperate from these issues. Even a collector of rare things must first see the item as desireable.

As for the list price, no problem here.

There is a phrase, "mark it up to mark it down". Meaning a piece of crud that used to be tagged at 1000x will seem a bargin at 10x. Some people might be aware that like items might be had for 1x, but you only need one guy to bite at the 10x price, and you have made a nice sale. The guy selling like goods for 1x will have to sell many more to see the same amount of profit. These Bum slot items are not going into volume outlets. I am not saying the price is unfair. I am saying reasonable price (and profit, to some extent) is set by the consumer with the buying decision.

If they sell all at list price, that was a fair price. I would think the price too high, because of how the product looks. Bum thinks otherwise, thinking there are 100 people that will pony up. Time wil tell. Perhaps some buyers will be motivated at a lower price thinking they are getting a deal, since they used to be priced at ......

If I want stuff that looks like that, I wiil go to....oh wait,..... I don't want stuff that looks like that, it will always be "limited" to me .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts