SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone has heard of scalex, so when they go to buy cars they will instantly go for that car! I did it before I started going to Wrexhamscc a long time ago now, but all I had was scalex, when I went there I saw fly and ninco and proslot, they were much faster than my scalex cars, and people were recommending ninco cars to me. Infact the first car I bought after going was a ninco F1.. my view on scalex was completely changed! they were [email protected] useless heaps of junk compared to the new ninco's of the day. they were fast, controlable and most of all more fun!

Today that may have changed with scalex having their super magnets, but still the buying principal applies. I was talking to a friend who retails slot cars and he was saying the scalex stuff flew off the shelves but scx, ninco, carrera and fly tended to sit on the shelves until someone came along and knew what they were buying.
He finds the F1's shift slower than GT's and Rally cars. why?
Because everyone recognises scoobie's and porsches they dont really recognise mclarens and jag F1's they are seen on the tv and look fragile, they then watch rallying and the cars are ragged over anything and everything, this may reflect in the buying trends too.

So, the question, what influences your buying trend is it what you like, what you know, a company, a model or is it simply impulse buying?

Rob.

G

·
I only buy slot cars I really love, I have just ordered A Slot Classic CJ 13 for Christmas from my parents.

It can be anything new, secondhand, slot or rail, But it has to make me want it so bad I would sell my wife to get one.

So I only buy a few cars a year. I would buy a Scalextric Corvette.

RR

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Is your stockist friend sure its a case of somebody coming into the shop who knows what they are buying?

Lets be blunt. Scalextric give you a consistent offering. The other brands mentioned do not. A slot car retailer in the English speaking world who does not stock Scalextric would soon go out of business so lets not forget that! They are the offering that draws the customer in in the first place.

There are too many performance variables among SCX, Carrera, Ninco and Fly. This is down to quality control at the factory. It is getting better it has to be said but does anybody remember the Lancia affair? Lancia never really recovered.

Those folk who come into the shop who buy those other brands buy because the cars simply are not available in the Scalex brand. If they were then the stockists would be even busier than they are at the moment!

Anyway, motives for buying cars.

Scalextric because its a brand I trust and it is the most collectable brand worldwide in the English speaking world. Fly have no history so I discount their collectibility as a short term blip and Carrera are the Scalextric equivalent in Germany.

Moped

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Well - I am a newcomer to slots but got in deepish fairly quick. My first purchase was the scalextric GT40 set. I had heard of scalextric, maybe wouldnt have been so tempted if it had been made by Fly or Ninco, 'cos never heard of 'em. Like you say, everyone has heard of scalextric, but the others? I didn't know if they were compatible, any good, flash in the pan companies or what.

Bought 'cos its my fav car, and the model work looked fabulous (and you could drive it too!!!!).

Now I have 20 cars of various makes. I am glad I started on scalextric, 'cos they are definitely the most sorted out-of-the box cars around, and so I wasn't put off by a car that was initially noisy and needed a new gear (Fly Ferrari 512s), a car that fell off at any instant (Revell Cobra - extra magnet and tyre trueing sorted that one out) or needed its wheels pulling off and spacers carefully positioned (Fly Porsche 917k).

I now buy if the model detail is great, and it is a car from my chosen era of interest (mainly 1965-1972 endurance) though I have some F1s (swayed by the stunning modelwork by scalextric, and good comments that they ran well) and a few other cars I like. I am sorely tempted by the slot-it 956, because it is such a fantastic model.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE Scalextric . . . is the most collectable brand worldwide in the English speaking world. Fly have no history so I discount their collectibility as a short term blip
As a personal opinion, I suppose, one is entitled to hold it, however mistakenly.
But it borders on being divorced from reality, unless 'collectible' and 'history' are yet more redfined words mined from the Moped dictionary of Malapropism.

G

·
I Think Moped is right in one very improtant way about Scalextric, my personal favourite brand.

They have a long unbroken history of slot car models dating back to the start of slot racing. I really enjoy racing Racetuned Vanwalls and BRMs DBs 250GTBs a lot of 60's cars. I also really like some of their currant line up GT 40, Corvette ect.

RR

·
Registered
714 Posts
There is no doubt that in certain geographical areas, Scalextric is the most well-known manufacturer, but certainly not in all. Their very commonness makes them the LEAST collectable in any normally accepted sense.

There was a time when I would have been eager to buy almost any new car, immediately on release, whoever the manufacturer. In those earlier days, I would have been influenced by much of the hype that was so recklessly bandied about by people without any true product knowledge. But, with experience, I soon realized that much of the blurb and bull**** was nothing but nonsense based on certain people's emotional attachment to certain brands, without any semblance of objectivity or balance present.

These days, I read all I can. I filter out the notorious hype merchants' blathering and I make carefully considered purchases based on a mixture of objective reviews and my own knowledge and experience. I buy far fewer cars than in the early days, but I am rarely disappointed in the return on my money. I don't care who makes the product, only whether I like it, whether I consider it to be of good quality and thus of good value.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hey Mecoprop, give us some examples of the cars you have bought in the last 6-12 months where you have made your own decisions and not listened to the blatherings of hype merchants.

I am absolutely positive that a lot of us here will be very interested to see your list. I am sure that list would merit its own discussion more by what you have not purchased than what you have!

Moped

·
Registered
314 Posts
Amongst enthusiasts there are 2 main reasons for buying slotcars, racing and collecting. As a racer most of the cars I buy are Fly, Ninco or SCX. I rarely buy Scalextric as few of there cars are capable of being raced seriously particularly without the magnet fitted. The exceptions are the MG Lola which is good with or without the magnet and the NASCARS. Most of their others cars need considerable modification to produce reasonable handling.
I think most of the latest Scalextric cars appeal more to collectors than racers.

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
QUOTE Scalextric give you a consistent offering. The other brands mentioned do not.

[Mr Angry]
If I had come across this before some folks had added their replies to this thread I would have flexed my never yet used Moderator muscles and taken it out.

Please enlighten me as to how the others fail to be consistent, if you can.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I tend to go for a bit of impulse buying with a bit of what I know, but have been known to take a step into the unkown and try something different(like my recently purchased Auto-Art Evo-7 and rather crap er different it is too!),

I dont really see different brand cars as better or worse than each other just offer different takes on what they think slot-cars should be, and I imagine this is closely related to what they think will sell!!!!(but that bloody Auto-Art is pushing the limits of even my good nature
)

Regards
Sunny

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Sad to say Rail Racer that we will not get a reply.

Backing up his nonsense ain't his style.

Am I calling you out Moped? Yup. Probably am.

Got any arguments, justifications or apologies for your statement?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
QUOTE Scalextric give you a consistent offering. The other brands mentioned do not.

Well there is a point, Scalextric cars taken out of the box run & they work without fuss.

Certainly unfair to Ninco, SCX and the like..

For a guess, the statement was aimed mainly at Fly and VMG??

Also go into other points, but not my place...

*runs away*

Jamie.

P.S. Editing/censoring posts.... nah you don't want to start doing that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I impulsively buy any car that I like the looks of, that's under $50/USD. I've been playing with 1/32 scale for just over a year now and my purchases have slowed considerably as I've 'caught up' to most of my favorite releases. I now eagerly await the new releases to further expand my 'collection'. While I'd like to own all the liveries of my favorites, I cannot justify the cost.

Now that I have many cars, including scaley, ninco, fly, carrera, proslot, teamslot, M/Revell in my stable, I can honestly say that I like them all. And, while the scaley's have mostly run fine right out of the box, it's great fun reading all the posts and reviews for ideas on tuning each of them for my home tracks (Ninco & Carrera). I'm sure I'd be disappointed with them if I raced them on the large club tracks, but since that's not an option (that I'm aware of within 2 hours drive), I'm quite content as it stands.

Next step, learning to do my own liveries

If I ever win the lottery, there will be a run on many of the limited production runs such as Mr. Pea teases me with on his site.

I truly enjoy these little toys, but it wouldn't be with quite so much enthusiasm without the resources that these boards (SCI, HRW, Slotcarplace, and now SlotForum) provide. I can't thank you guys enough.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE I can't thank you guys enough.
Posting here is thanks enough, DogFish and welcome to the site!
There's much to see - keep on coming.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think a lot of your arguments listed in this thread are true but the most
important thing for buing something is that you want to have it!

Is it the shape of a car,
- the colour,
- the livery,
- the performance or technology?

Who cares as long as it is a slotcar and you want to have it .

The like or dislike of Manufacturers are in all of the internet forums a hot
discussion - sometimes it goes into the wrong direction (no comment on it)
or it's just geting booring.

As long as we keep in mind, that we are talking about Slotcars and a hobby - it's OK

My comment on Scalextric:
I've not known Scalextric before I restarted with this hobby 5 Years ago for about 25 years. The only brand available in the shops here in Germany was Carrera at this time. I found out that Scalextric exists because I bought a car not knowing what it was on an internet auction (before EBAY started). It was a Hornby Mercedes DTM car.
Nothing to be compared with my first FLY Viper bought on a holiday trip in Barcelona.
But I liked the shape and it was the only Mercedes available to me at this time.
Infected with this virus I bought then a big box of tracks from Hornby on the flewmarket - rusty and wobbly but I started to fix it and I had my first "Le Mans start"
Scalextric is in my opinion a unique Manufacturer with all it's advantages and disadvantages - but this is also valid for Carrera or Fly or SCX or....
Every brand has something for me which I like or dislike. The good thing is ourdays, that we have such a big choice.
So keep on discussing this - and I have always something to read and think about
Happy Christmas
TS

·
John Roche
4,203 Posts
The main influence when buying is that it is a model of a car I like, mainly historic cars.

Over the past year i have bought Scaley GT40's, Revell, Ninco MRRC and Fly.

I have also scratchbuilt chassis for Pre=Add and Classic bodies.

Recently, i bought some retro style 24th scale chassis for the Tottenham retro series so that I could canibalise some old BSCRA style cars.

This week I've bought 3 Carrera sets and experienced magnatraction for the 1st time. My track is a 4 lane 55' routed track with copper tape.

Unfortunately, with other interests, scratchbuilding & decorating the track, I rarely do any racing.

Cheers,

John

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Dear ts-slotpage

What a great responce!

I agree with you, buy what you like for whatever reason and be happy for it.

It's easy for us in the UK to think that Hornby Scalextric is THE brand that it's the only brand with history.

I must admit that until recently i had not realised that Carrera have been selling slot cars for over 40 Years!

In various company names SCX (Exin,Tyco) have been producing slotcars for over 30 years and they are HUGE in Spain.

Is there a Carrera collectors club in Germany?

All the very best

Gareth
NSCC

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
JEXY1!!!!!!!!!
Tut! Tut! Tut! And you the SCX co-ordinator, as well!!

This time last year Techni Toys debuted their 40th anniversary set. Perhaps you didn't see it?

Now let me see 40 + 1 is.......er......where's that calculator?

Mr.M

1 - 20 of 23 Posts