SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts

- Bikes that lean
- Work on any track system
- Tilting control by driver on controller

The bikes are copies of (or look like) Moto GP from scaley but with working lights.
The motor layout and drive is at least the same.
BUT they also have a server driven tilt gear that is controlled from the controller via an R/C style wheel which means the LEAN under your own control!

The bikes on their own retail around 49Euro and for 79Euro with a controller. The controllers are track specific in connection but they will work on any system as will the bikes.
Due for release in a couple of months.
The controllers automatically recognize the bikes are on the track. On the controller are R/C style trim sliders for speed, acceleration and degree of lean when you turn the wheel.

At the bottom of the controller is a switch for analogue or digital mode. Also there is a mini USB port for computer software that allows you to custom trim the responses of the controller.

VERY exciting new toy
and SO much fun to drive. They are reasonably fast and well balanced in the curves.

Some photos taken by Swissracer and CBR who are reporting live from the ToyFair:

They both say that these bike are a lot of fun to drive!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi (first post here!)

Too bad one needs a special throttle controller, I guess we won't be able to use them on any digital track. Unless Scorpius adds some accelerometer into their own controller

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
From what I have seen in the videos, my thought is "What's the point?".

The bikes seem to go just as well whether they're leaning in the corners, straight up, or in fact leaning the wrong way. It also seems as though you can go down the straights with the bike leaning over at an odd angle.

Seems like a You-Steer for bikes, but without some of the fun.

Now if the riders' heads were weighted so you got an advantage from leaning into the corner, fell over if leaning on the straight and immediately toppled if leaning outwards in a bend, then yes, there's a point.

But this?

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
I think it's an incredibly clever concept and a whole new take on slotting.

Not sure that I'd be able to multitask quite as well as is needed. My R/C experience tells me that I'll get giddy and turn left instead of right at some point.

But that's got to be part of the point hasn't it? Can't do the same thing every day of your life. They look pretty slow, giving you enough time to control the bike in theory. And if you do accidentally tip right when turning left you're going to be in all sorts of bother.

I'm very, very tempted.

·
Registered
290 Posts
QUOTE (V8Vantage @ 5 Feb 2009, 20:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>From what I have seen in the videos, my thought is "What's the point?".

The bikes seem to go just as well whether they're leaning in the corners, straight up, or in fact leaning the wrong way. It also seems as though you can go down the straights with the bike leaning over at an odd angle.

Seems like a You-Steer for bikes, but without some of the fun.

Now if the riders' heads were weighted so you got an advantage from leaning into the corner, fell over if leaning on the straight and immediately toppled if leaning outwards in a bend, then yes, there's a point.

But this?

well its a start and im sure these will be a great base for MODDING add some weight to a high point and maybe it will work better.

also what are these like on banked turns will they lean too far on a tight bank and just fall over?

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Perfect! Except for the hand controller. What it needs is a pendulum switch instead of a wheel. Lean the controller to the right, bike leans right. What's next...wheelies? Surely the driver's legs can be pivoted too so they drop towards the track. There's a lot of mileage in this yet. Don't let's have it all at once.

We are indebted to Doug and his team for bringing us all this excitement in the depths of winter to shake off the gloom.

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
Quote Graham "What it needs is a pendulum switch instead of a wheel. Lean the controller to the right, bike leans right".

Graham, that is a brilliantly simple and simply brilliant idea. Perhaps a mercury switch? less bulky than a pendulum.

Tom.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
QUOTE (Isetta @ 7 Feb 2009, 19:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Quote Graham "What it needs is a pendulum switch instead of a wheel. Lean the controller to the right, bike leans right".

Graham, that is a brilliantly simple and simply brilliant idea. Perhaps a mercury switch? less bulky than a pendulum.

Tom.

I think these kind of controllers are allready being used for some of the computergames, xboxes or similar.
Aren't they ?
grego

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Also could be produced as a small add on box that straps to the controller, enabling you to continue to use your own. As grego is saying the Wii uses accelerometers to sense position, which would provide an elegant analogue solution sensing angle rather than just left and right.

Rich

Actually forget your own controller bit, it looks like they have done a pretty good job, assume that all of the bike control, speed and lean, is radio, just uses the track for Power? Don't quite understand the Analogue Digital mode switch?

Could make for low cost Radio throttles for Digital Cars? What could you use the lean servo for? How mny bikes does the system support?

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I have to say these are the dogs watsits.

FUN to drive,fast, balanced and fully adjustable either using R/C style adjusters or (via a software program) via a PC where you can set parameters to your liking.
They lean to at least 45% and react quickly.
The controllers are track non specific and can cope with digital or analogue tracks at the flip of a switch. I DOUBT they change lane but will run on a digital track.

These are THE talk of the slot side of the Toy Fair this year, I do not think ANY of the people I talked to had not had a go.

They have to be tried to be believed and with an RRP of 45 Euro for a bike and 75 Euro for a bike with controller - well priced!

·
Administrator
10,496 Posts
QUOTE (RichG @ 7 Feb 2009, 08:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Could make for low cost Radio throttles for Digital Cars? What could you use the lean servo for?

Umm, lets see.

Just to start you off:

Italian job coach to let down the rear ramp.

James Bond Aston to extend the tyre cutters.

Folding soft top on any of the convertibles.

Spoiler deployment on a 911.

How about a You-Steer type mechanism to move the car around on the track.

Adjusting magnet height to change the drifting.

Pop up headlights.

A jack to push the car off the deck and simulate the effects of a puncture.

What about real steering so that the guide is not positioning the car just picking up current?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.