SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New APB arrived yesterday
fitted it into a circuit, and powered it up using a single PB4 PSU. Now If I power it on the socket closest to the track I can run a car for about 2 laps then it stutters and stops. If I run it on the socket furthest away from track all is fine. So what is going on?
Are there differences in the circuitry from each socket? Why? I have a 15V 10A supply on the way from the bay so how I m I going to wire that in? Am I missing something in my excitement?

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
462 Posts
Are you using SSDC as well? Then maybe the car runs out of fuel because the fuel settings are not correct (This functionality is changed: fuel tanks must be 10 time bigger than before). But that does not answer why the other socket seems to work...

If you don't have SSDC i do not have a clue.

·
Circuit Owner
5,924 Posts
Sounds like a dodgy APB.

One question - did you remove the old powerbase from the track? Even if they are not powered up I believe you can have major issues and cause damage if you have more than one powerbase on your track.

I am assuming you are running the APB in digital mode? I am also assuming the same car in the same lane has problems powered from one socket but not from the other socket? If the problem is same car in same lane and you are running analogue you probably have a curved lane changer that is leaking power across lanes. You need a power supply for each lane to run 2 lanes in analogue mode.

If you are in digital mode...

You could start from scratch - APB in a simple oval - no lane changers. See if you have problems. Try one car and run it on each lane with a single power supply in one socket then the other (4 tests in total). If you have issues with one socket and not the other I would return the APB.

If this works OK then your problem lies with something else on your track. Add a few pieces at a time to see what causes the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
I thought you need 2 power supplies for the new APB to work? Or, use one power supply and one dummy plug.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys,
All worked fine on the old PB4, I removed that then fitted APB. running in basic digital mode with no SSDC. I'm thinking its this dummy plug thingy thats causing the issue. just want to get to the bottom of it. No CLC's just one XLC. Very simple circuit.

·
Administrator
10,141 Posts
The circuitary is identical for each connection into the motherboard. Try it without the dummy plug. If you get different digital performance plugging your standard psu into each connector then there is a powerbase fault

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that RikoRocket.

does that mean the two sockets are directly wired in parallel? If so how does the APB detect the plugs for analog mode? There must be a break contact inside the socket to detect the presence of the plug. So if both power circuits are wired in parallel then how can one socket give different behaviour to the other. I'm stuck at work at the moment so cant test till this evening. I have a feeling I'm going to be getting the screwdrivers, meter and oscilloscope tonight. It must be something simple, as it basically works its not DOA. The power to rails H works so it must be in the sockets to regulator area. Is the regulator a switch mode buck converter? I sure hope so, SMPS design is my thing.

Thanks

Matt

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Each socket feeds a separate voltage regulator. The voltages are combined after the regulators.

Powerbase "knows" that you have 2 x PSU's connected, and adjusts overload current accordingly, because of a switch contact in the sockets. This is why you can "fool" it into thinking you have 2 x PSU's connected by inserting a dummy plug.

Your problem could just be a faulty socket on the Powerbase, they have been a bit prone to this.

Rich

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Rich,
Its starting to make sense now, Its either the socket (unlikeley due to behaviour, slows then stutters and stops, leave it a bit it ok of another lap or 2) or the regulator. My money is on the regulator. I'll have a look this evening.

Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts