SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
Hi guys,

Here is the scenario:

APB - plugged into Rapid Electronics bench PSU running at 15 v.
Home made cables to plug into each plug to get the full 5Amps in digital mode. - WORKS 100%
3 x XLC's

then....

Do the three finger salute = ◄ ▲ ► + START 5 times. APB goes into analogue mode - or so I think because the fan slows down. But there is no power to the track.

When I press the throttle the lights flash and the APB seems to "brown out".

Million dollar question - drum roll - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Thank you in advance for replies that might include "You're a numpty...."

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
i experienced this when i first installed my apb intomy layout wich features 2 racing line chicanes.

I thought that they would cause short issues as per standard clc.

The symptoms were on start up everything ok but the fan speed was slow,pulling in the trigger gradually slowed the fan even more until it went into safe mode.

As you are experiencing the same symptoms i would of thought that you have a short some where in the track when in analouge mode,ie the outer and inner rails are some way connected wich of course makes no difference when the pb is in digital mode.

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey! Guess what, I'm a numpty. The one + wire on the cable had come undone. Re-soldered it now and everything is working A-OK.

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
........ isn't the APB rated at a maximum of 2 x 4 amp PSUs as per scaley's specs??

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
Yes, but they are better than that. Sort of the opposite of the ones that went with the last 6 car PB where they were rated at 2.5 but struggled over 1.5A

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
QUOTE (Keeto @ 28 Jun 2011, 21:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do the three finger salute = ◄ ▲ ► + START 5 times. APB goes into analogue mode -
I didn't know about this shortcut as it isn't in the manual but it's useful if you don't have the LCD connected. Are there others or is a list available somewhere?

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
...... i understand this feature was introduced by Andrew with his APB firmware.

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
It was hidden inside the code but not enabled. So standard units wont do this. Then they wont count laps either

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 29 Jun 2011, 13:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Then they wont count laps either

lol - makes me wonder how or who does the testing at Scalextric? Don't get me wrong, I love everything Scalextric have brought out so far but it seems like it would be worthless without the efforts of you and Andrew so far.

·
Digital &quot;Tea Boy&quot;
777 Posts
OK. Now that all the shorts and cables have been sorted - something else is happening while in analogue mode.

Digital cars go in the correct direction i.e right to left over the APB.

Analogue cars can only go left to right, if I turn them around they go in reverse.

My knowledge of electronics is NOT up there with Einstein, but I know somewhere the polarity is changing or needs to be changed....

My question is why did this never happen on my C7030 PB-Pro SH in A-mode?

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
im still pretty green in setting up my apb but i am pretty sure that you can set the direction of travel to go either way in either format.??

It may be necessary to connect the lcd panel to make any changes though.??

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
Bigbird is correct, you need to attach the display and change direction in analogue mode. It will then stay in that direction when you disconnect the display. Don't forget to turn OFF power to the APB before reconnecting your PC cable

·
Greg Gaub
14,988 Posts
2 lane analog PB-Pro SH was one direction only. Those like me who didn't opt for that, and have only single car/lane analog can change direction.

·
Digital &quot;Tea Boy&quot;
777 Posts
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
You mean I have to go into the loft and go and dig out my LCD screen!! I didn't even bother to take it out of the box! He-he!

Ok, well thanks guys, once again, honestly I did not even think of plugging in the Scaley screen as being a solution.

....and Riko I've seen your warnings about the USB cable and RichG put a nice little warning label around the cable I bought from him. I've been VERY thorough when plugging and unplugging.....honest.

Is this a feature that can be done in SSDC in the future?

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
the shame of having to un-plug ssdc and re-insert the lcd panel is almost to much to burden but i needed to do just that last night when i had to set a minimum lap time to match ssdc so pace cars would count laps properly.

Happy to report that it did not stay in the pb for long and normal service was soon resumed with everything counting beautifully.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Having just taken delivery of a number of new cars (mental note: online shopping and alcohol don't mix...or they mix well, depending on your perspective) I was excited by the prospect of giving them a go in analogue mode, particularly given the simple mode button in the newest ssdc. But when I switched it over I got the same problem as Keeto described at the start of this thread.

I know I can't run more than one car with my set up, because my track includes a section of single track (never mind the lane changers), but I don't understand why it shorts/shuts down when I pull the trigger with my one controller.

Is it possible to run analogue with single lane track?

Should I be looking for a fault somewhere? Everything works beautifully in digi mode...

Stumped! (and possibly a numpty
)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts