SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Hey guys,
I wonder if you can help please.
i am guessing i have some parameter set wrong?? i hope so anyways.

i have been getting up to speed with my 1 week old Apb, v1.04
been testing out all the settings ect, to see what it does and does not do compared to the fully loaded pb-pro SH, up in the loft.

kids have been giving it a bash with their mates too, so when i heard....."Dad,... the cars won't work" i thought.. won't take a minute to get this sorted.......

Hmm, the cars don't work.

the display shows "PULL throt trigr to GO" but when i pull the trigger the only thing that happens is the message disappears. when i let go, the message reappears.

the cars are all id'ed correctly, and controllers all work. Checked by removing Apb and used 4carPB. All cars and throttles fine with that.

With Apb back in the track, same problem, cars will not drive.
take throttles out, and cars drive as pace cars, no worries.
What have my little darlings done??

thanx in advance.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Hi Zipp,

Just a long shot but check to see if the kids have accidentally put the APB into analog mode. If so the curved lane changer (CLC) will short out unless you have cut the connections inside as per Mr Flippant's excellent instructional video. @5'40". (Straight lane changers are ok in analog so you don't need to touch them).
So try removing the CLC and see if it works and then go into the menu on the APB and change platform from analog to digital (or do that first even)

Chris

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Hi Chris,

Thanx for the reply.
Yeah, i have already cut the power lines under each of the clc's.
I put the system into analogue as part of my testing, again unable to drive car, but does take off as pace car when throttle removed.

Put back into digital mode, and all 4 cars will not drive.
I am thinking it may be broken??

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Oops, missed the fact that they run without the controller - very strange

Have you tried resetting the APB to default settings - it's in the manual but from memory hold down the two arrows 'down and left' and push 'start' and the APB will restart to default.

Just one other thing - I don't think it's important but are the cars the 360deg Nissans - if so have you tried a standard analog car without a chip?

Otherwise, before packing it off back to the shop maybe flash to the latest firmware 1.06 just to see if there was something corrupted in the flash to 1.04 (I assume you got it with 0.85 if it was new?)

·
Prof I T
11,196 Posts
hi
even though i run apb i am no expert when it comes to the display tower as i set it once and then connected upto ssdc,but it does sound like the young racers may have selected the cars to be run as pace cars,this would explain the cars not moving when a throttle is plugged in and taking off when it is removed from the pb...

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
QUOTE (bigbird @ 11 Sep 2011, 21:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi
even though i run apb i am no expert when it comes to the display tower as i set it once and then connected upto ssdc,but it does sound like the young racers may have selected the cars to be run as pace cars,this would explain the cars not moving when a throttle is plugged in and taking off when it is removed from the pb...
I don't think the tower is like SSDC - when you plug in the controller it automatically overrides the pace car setting so you take back control. You can only run a pace car with the controller plugged in if you enter & stay in the pacer menu branch.

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Chris,

cheers mate, your a star.

Tried the default setting in the platform menu, no use.

then looked in the manual to find out which 3 buttons to press to restore default settings, that did the trick, Ta.

Back in basic mode, but it works now.
i will set it up with the previous setting later.

Still don't understand what or why??
I went through all the settings, analogue/digital, power % settings all at 100%, everything as it had been previously when working.

thanx again.

·
Greg Gaub
15,394 Posts
the only other thing I can think of is that the controller calibration went wonky, and maybe recalibrating would have fixed it. Resetting should have wiped out any previous calibrations.
Still, I don't think how they could have caused the problem, even if it did have something to do with calibration.

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for all the head scratching guys.

Just happy it is not broken. Had me worried for a while.

Greg, i was able to recalibrate the controllers before i reset to default. Recalibrating did not help.
Checked other setting that i thought relevant, and all seemed good.

My Apb came with V1.004 (only had it a week).
Can i update the Apb, using the aux-usb cable from my pb-pro/ssdc?

Anyway, I am gonna set the Apb back up how we had it working last, and take it from there.
Just wondering, is there any way of setting the Apb up to deliberately get this scenario?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
QUOTE (zipp @ 12 Sep 2011, 09:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My Apb came with V1.004 (only had it a week).
Can i update the Apb, using the aux-usb cable from my pb-pro/ssdc?Assuming this is the same as the awallace 1.04 firmware, it's not absolutely necessary as v1.06 only added a couple of new features >link. And more importantly I think the cable has changed:
This cable (for the C7042) is an RS485 Aux to USB converter. This is different from the cable that is used on the old 6 Car Powerbase C7030, which is 5V level RS232. Source: SSDC website

As an aside, are the APBs being delivered with 1.004 now or was it your retailer who updated it for you (mine was delivered with v0.85 which I thought was the last official Hornby release)?

QUOTE (zipp @ 12 Sep 2011, 09:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anyway, I am gonna set the Apb back up how we had it working last, and take it from there.
Just wondering, is there any way of setting the Apb up to deliberately get this scenario?
In the car menu, maybe set the power to the lowest - 17% I think, but I doubt if that's it.

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Hey thanx guys,

Ok, so new cable required, got it.
cheers for the warning BB.

yeah chris,
just tried that lowest power setting, but still get motor noise and slight movement on that setting.

I don't think the kids had anything to do with the problem? (must remember to apologise to them)!!
Everything seems good now anyway, just been through menu setting things how we like. All works fine both analogue and digital.

We shall continue....
Thanx again guys.

·
Greg Gaub
15,394 Posts
Strange things. Ah well... electronics. Just don't let out the magic smoke!

I'm also interested in the code it came with. It seems remarkable that Hornby would be shipping bases with the 3rd party code, but since they worked so closely with Andy et al, I guess there's some good reason to do it. If Hornby are definitely shipping bases with 1.04, then I'll definitely need to do a video about the changes made to that version from the previous one. ;-)

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Hmm, not sure is Scalextric are shipping with v1.04, as mine came direct from Adrian Norman?
I had a 6car pb go wrong on me some years ago, and was sent out a 4car pb as a temporary replacement, with a provision to return the 4car in exchange for the new Apb the next year.
Well, 3 years later, here we are.

I will ask the question regarding code.

·
Prof I T
11,196 Posts
hi
i would hazzard a guess that adrian has updated the firmware,but would love to be proved wrong as that would mean hornby are sending out new apb with awallace firmware...

·
Greg Gaub
15,394 Posts
The power mod was posted already. Complete instructions, lots of pics, etc.

Since Adrian sent it to you, I'd bet he upgraded the code, and that factory models still come with .85.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts